1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a 1100 a trap gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Just like the title says I have often wondered what makes a trap gun in the Remington 1100 or 870, well, a trap gun? I see competition, Special Trap, etc, but are these special types have the same working internals as a standard model, but with M/C stocks, fancy wood and shinny metal?

What I am trying to do is purchase a 1100 or a semi-auto for my 15 year old daughter. I don't have the funds to drop over $800 on a "trap" 1100. If I were to buy a field 1100, install a Jack West stock would I be, in a sense, creating a trap gun for her?

Bryan

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yes, with the exception of a 25% larger extractor on the 1187, the insides of the 1100/1187 are all the same.

All insides of the 870 are the same with the exception of the "Competition" model that has a recoil device in the magazine.

Ajax

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, there is a difference in the gas system on the 1187 vs the 1100, and with some parts related to it. They're very similar, though.

The late model 1100s have some 1187 parts in them, like the large extractor and the forend cap retention system.

In my case, I started with a field model 1187, and added a trap stock to it. Later I added a trap barrel. The only difference between it and an 1187 trap gun is that it doesn't have "TRAP" roll engraved on the receiver.

As far as your daughter, you might want to look for a field 1187 with a 28" light contour barrel. These can be found for reasonable prices. Then add a trap buttstock to it. The light contour barrels shave about 1/3 to 1/2 lb of the weight. You can always step up to a heavier barrel later. The light contour barrel will also help with easier swinging if she wants to try sporting clays.

If she's of small stature, then a 20ga might be an idea. The 1100 LT-20 or the 1187 20ga is substantially lighter, and because it can cycle 2.5 dram 7/8 oz loads (like Mao Mart cheapies) it's softer shooting than the 12ga versions, which need more powder and usually more shot to cycle. I started my kids with an LT-20 and a 20ga 1187. It is possible to fit a 12ga monte carlo stock to the 20ga guns. The tenon in the stock needs to be reduced in size to fit the back of the 20ga receiver. If you're careful this can be done with a good, sharp chisel or with a hobby knife with a fresh blade, taking off a little at a time. There;'s a bearing plate in the back of the stock that can be used as a rough template4, but don't take too much off. Test fit as you go.

Oh, BTW, there are two trap stocks for these guns. A monte carlo, and a straight comb. Both actually have combs at the same height. It's an optical illusion that the monte carlo appears to have a higher comb. In reality, it's the buttpad that's lower on the monte carlo. If she has a long neck, the monte carlo will probably work best. If she has a short neck, the straight comb will probably work best.

4. Calkidd

Brain thanks for the information about the 20 ga. I was just sent a PM offering me a 20 ga and at first I was hesitant since I have all the necessary stuff to reload 12 ga since it is what I shoot. However, I believe the Wally World shells in 20 are the same price as the 12.\

Ok you speak of a trap barrel, what is the difference between this barrel or another other barrel?

Bryan

5. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Bryan, I think you are on the right track about buying a field 1100 or 1187 and putting a Jack West stock on it. I hope you will try to get a stock with ajustable comb and recoil pad, women have a hard time sometimes fitting to a gun and being able to turn the bottom of the pad out away from her chest will help a lot. I would think a girl 15, unless she is very small,should be able to handle a 12 gauge with lite loads and the if she likes it, you won't have to change guns and stocks. A trap barrel usally has a step rib to make it shoot a little higher, but you can make a field barrel shoot high enough by ajusting the comb.
    This is the first time I have ever given any advice here,as I have only been shooting ATA for a little over 6 years, I'm not very good at this but I do carry a A or AA average in singles and they let me shoot from the 27. John#8703697

6. Calkidd

Thanks Jon....I think I wil stick with a 12 ga for her since I am looking at semi-autos. Now I just need to find a reasonable 1100 12ga that I can change the stock and forearm to the Jack West style.

Bryan

7. Calkidd

I found a 1100 TA Trap in good condition. I tried to do a research on them, but the only thing I found was they were introduced in 1979 with lower grade wood compared to the TB model. What would be a fair price to pay?

Bryan

8. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Bryan, I think you may be able to get an idea of value by going to www.gunbroker.com and looking a some of the 1100's on that webb. I also forgot to mention Phil Kiner has been putting on clinics along time and he believes something like over 90% of women shooters are cross dominate, so it might be a good idea to check that if you haven't already. I have also saw in a Nora Ross article in the ATA mag, that women see things different than men do,(how would have thought), so they end up shooting one eyed anyway. John

9. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Since you reload, I suggest staying with a 12 gauge and 7/8 oz loads. FWIW. JM

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Before you buy Jack West stock, better find out if it can be shortened. It has a pretty long length of pull for a 15 year old.

11. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Bryan. hope we don't overload you with information but, go to www.wenig.com and look at their catalog they offer a ladies stock for the 1100, prices start at 100.00. John

12. Calkidd

Thanks for all the information as I am soaking this in. My daughter might be 15 but she built like an adult women. She is 5-8 and 130 lbs. John I will look at those stocks.

As far as cross-dominance, she told me when she has both eyes open the end of the barrel converges to the same point.

Bryan

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

calkidd,

You're on the same track I was on 6 years ago with my daughter.

She now shoots on the Kansas State University trap club with that same 1100 I cobbled together for her from a field gun.

What I did was to get a 30" trap barrel, an inexpensive wood Monte Carlo stock I got from Remington (which I had Greg Hissem put an adjustable soft-touch comb and butt plate hardware on - before he retired) and I had a gunsmith 'work' the trigger group to smooth it out and get it to be about 3.75 lb pull.

I found the same 1 ounce loads I use for singles at about 1150 fps were not too much recoil for her, and they exercised the action.

Good luck!

14. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

A trap barrel is different from a field barrel in that a trp barrel has a slight upward bund in it. you can see it if you stand back and look at the squads you can see it. Some are more pronounced then others, and is easier to see by high ribbed or unsingle.

I have seen the kids shoot field guns with great results,it is all in what they become accustomed to.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

Jerry Lewis

15. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Why not check around a little. Last year I bought a nice 1100 Trap model, high post for $450.00. Shoots just fine as is. Get the gun, let her try it first & then make the changes if any are needed. JMO Colonel

16. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Years ago (early 70's) a Remington Rep told a group of us that Trap and Skeet guns were manufactured using the MAGNUM receiver which was stronger than FIELD grade. I thought he probably knew more than the armchair smith's in our group. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.