1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a 10k gun better?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Jul 15, 2013.

1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Someone else asked about this and his thread got off track. I am curious as to what you guys think.

What makes a P gun or K gun or any other higher end gun better than say a Bt99? or a Browning combo set. I am not picking on the Brownings it just seems they are a very popular gun.

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

What makes a 10K gun better is the fact that if you left the savings between the hight dollar gun and lesser priced gun in the bank, you would be disgusted with the amount of interest you earn on it. Put it in the gun, that way if you don't shoot any better with it, you can at least look like you should, and know didn't loose much interest to look that way.

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

10K guns are for those folks who have grown tired of the cheaper stuff. If you are on a budget, just buy and shoot what you can afford or justify and enjoy it.

4. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Exactly shoot what you can afford and have fun. Be it a 300$ 870 or a 80,000$ highly Ingraved with gold inlay gun of your choice.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Shoot them with a blind fold on and you will be able to tell the difference ... Guns are like hookers, if you got a $10,000 hooker its one thing unless you are Tiger Woods who made several (uhhhhuh) ladies Millionaires ... I picked up a hooker out here, she said she would do anything for $300.00, I gave her the $300.00 and told her to paint the house ... See the difference, now try that with the blindfold on ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Speaking only for Krieghoff K80 as that's what I shoot

you can shoot a k80 a million times and it won't crumble. You do the maintenance, the gun will shoot forever.
    the gun fits like a glove if you buy it from a Krieghoff dealer like chris maest.
    gold options bump it up
    wood selection from the factory is wonderfull
    internals are like a swiss watch
    Balance is second to none.

bottom line is the guns are built higher tolerances and built to withstand thousands upon thousands of rounds shot through it without incident

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

THE CASE IT COMES IN

GB
    DLS

8. trufan

trufan Member

Good question himark. While I understand the comments (Shoot what you can afford or It's the price thats different!) I would like to hear from someone who has shot a Bgun and has switched to a Pgun or Kgun. What is the major difference? Is it the trigger "feel" or lock time or what that makes them different? I say different not better assuming different is better. I think everyone knows that the P's and K's will shoot hundreds of 1000's of rounds and I think the B guns will too. I would like to know WHAT makes them better.

9. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

Timex or Rolex----it's still three o'clock. Jack

10. globe fish

globe fish Member

personally I Have a Bt99 ,Ceasar Gurinie,2 MX 8's the M X's just feel and performe better for me.

11. Avatar

If you compare trap guns to almost any other mass produced item, they seem grossly overpriced. You can buy a new car, with thousands of high tech components, for less than you pay for a trap gun. But, the market for the guns is very limited, meaning that the economies of scale you find in the auto industry just will never be fully achieved.

That said, where is the line beyond which more money doesn't get you a better gun? Hard to say. I think even cheaper trap guns should be just as durable as the most expensive, given the standards of the metallurgy and machining industries these days. I also see no reason why designs should not all be good, given that the basic designs have been around a long time and patents are long since expired. But, I can see that the company might be able to spend more time checking the parts of the more expensive gun for defects and fine-tuning the complete instrument.

12. APrice

APrice Active Member

oval jack, 3PM in the penthouse feels entirely different than 3PM in the trailer park!

13. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Less recoil

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Some pretty fair shooters + many others made their mark with a 1100 or a BT 99. Leo & F Little were 2 of the better known. Hows come you get a tool kit with a P gun? When does Browning advise an annual tune up? But then you look better when you miss.

Clyde

15. Covercollector

Covercollector Member

I went from a Browning to a P-gun and for me the difference is the browning swung like a 2x4,the p-gun is like pointing your finger at the target.JMO Randy

16. fnj682

fnj682 Member

My experience.....I shot a Beretta 682 and did well. Although not a $10,000 gun, I was able to buy a Krieghoff 32 and shot it better. It moved more smoothly and the trigger pulls became even more consistent. It just felt better to me.

17. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

APrice, correct you are, but if you like trailers....... I'm just sayin. Jack

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Shoot 300 targets a day for 5 days, then do it 3 times in a month for 6 months.

You'll know the answer.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

In general a Perazzi, Krieghoff or Kolar is engineered to be more durable and the wear components are made from harder steel than a Browning. They also generally have more adjustability and other bells & whistles such as drop-put triggers, fancier wood, engraving and nicer checkering. A Browning - especially a newer one - has a lower quality fit/finish and is more likely to gall if you get lazy with cleaning and greasing the receiver knuckle and other wear points.

That does NOT mean there's anything wrong with a Browning or other modest shotgun. I've owned many and still love & shoot them. Rudy Etchen shot a Remington 870 pump, even for doubles, and he could have competed with anybody alive today in my opinion.

Finally, there's the exclusivity element in the marketing strategy of high-end brands. The profit margin is intentionally kept higher, limiting volume, in order to maintain this exclusivity. You can call it snob-appeal, and I suppose it is to some extent, but at the same time you're getting a measurably superior product with a Perazzi, Krieghoff or Kolar. On the other hand, with a Blaser or Caesar Guerini, it's got some extra bells and whistles and tries to attract those not quite willing to pay for a real high-end gun, but, on average, is actually no more reliable than a Browning (actually considerably less reliable in my opinion).

-Gary

20. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

ovaljack...your correct. Timex 3PM (for 4-5 years). Rolex...3PM (for a lifetime).

Just sayin.

milt