1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What made you decide to switch to a release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipking, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

I am fighting a flinch / eye to brain to finger problem and I wanted to know how you decided it was time to switch. Last year about May I started an occasional trigger finger disconnect where I could not convince my finger to complete the pull the first time (maybe 2 in 100 shots). It would go away sometimes and worsen on others. I played with a release on my Ljutic for a few shoots and then went back to a pull because I thought I had the problem diagnosed. After watching Phil Kiners DVD I suspected that maybe it was an eye dominance issue and I tried some one eye shooting. Humm no trigger pull problems. Back to two eyes and it was still OK. Then this weekend it came back with a vengance. On Saturday on a couple of soft rights in singles and twice on the second shot of doubles (soft right again). Then at another club on Sunday I went back to one eye and the first 50 are fine then 3 in the next 25 and finally a double flinch on my 97th bird where I could not pull the damn trigger in two attempts. My Kolar combo has release hammers and the change over only takes a minute or less but I would like to hear from some who made the switch and especially how well did you adapt to a release/release for doubles or did you go release/ pull.
    Thanks

--- Chip King ---

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Just give in and come over to the dark side. You will never go back.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I had an occasional fore-arm flinch. I was trying out a gun to buy, and it happened to have a release trigger, although I was looking for a pull. I loved the release, and switched over when I bought that gun. The forend flinch went away and I have never had one since shooting a release. I have tried to shoot a pull again, only to have the flinch return...even with a very good pull trigger. Funny that I can shoot a rifle and pistol that has a pull trigger, and I don't have that problem.

I just got a doubles gun, and it came with a double release. It took me a couple of time of shooting it (4 boxes each time) before it felt natural to re-set and shoot. But I have really never shot doubles before, and I imagine that part of the problem was just that doubles was new to me.

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I too had an occaisional forearm flinch, and decided to send my new (to me) Alfermann back to Gary for conversion to a release. I got it back just a little over a week ago, and have adapted to it very well, especially at handicap. The only problem I've had so far was yesterday at doubles. I was shooting leadoff with my 682, which still has pull triggers. After switching stations one time I put the gun up to my shoulder and it went off. I said to everybody "Damn, this one isn't a release!". We all had a good laugh and finished the round without incident.

I'm headed for San Antonio and the SW Grand tomorrow. While I'm there I'll see whether I can get the Beretta converted to double release. The transition from pull to release on the Alfermann has been absolutely no problem.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Lose a couple of targets per 100 or go to a release. What is the problem?

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

For me it was a matter of trying a release or just quit shooting. The release has made shooting fun for me again. I still use a pull for doubles and sporting clays. I just can't get used to the release/release concept. Ed

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I was not smarter than the trigger

8. lancelot

lancelot Member

I can shoot a pull trigger for 3 or 4 months. No Problem. Then I will catch myself pulling up on a target and starting to wave right or left before I can pull the trigger. I don't think I have ever done this on doubles.

I shoot a double release because it just seems easier than to shoot a release for handicap and singles, and then switch to a pull-pull, or a release-pull, for the doubles.

Ron Ireland

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Release triggers are dangerous and should be banned. You can cure a flinch by several different methods. Have you tried meditation and Yoga? Hypnosis and acupuncture also have been successful. Circumcision for extreme cases.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

After countless shotgun shells wacking my brain, I could not control a flinch that developed. It got so bad, one day I shot a 67 from the 27. It took a year to get to that point, trying everything to avoid the release. I finally had no choise and bought one about two months ago, after shooting a pull for 30+ years. I have not flinched once since I installed the release trigger..... I which I had installed it a year sooner.

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

dickgtax

Are you kidding ??? If you really have the answer to flinching you should be a millionaire many times over.

12. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

After fighting a horrible flinch, and then squading with two strangers who, as it turned out to be, a couple of my best shooting friends from Canada...Two Dogs and Terry Jordan. I was sooo embarrassed after the 200 target event I went up and appologized to these two fine gentlemen for causing the squad to be out of sync most of the day...Although it didn't bother their scores at all, I still was feeling bad.

These two total strangers sat and talked to me and my wife for over two hours that day, telling us about the ways to save my shooting...Terry told me about some wall chart he had, but told me I was too far gone (flinching) for it to help, and Two Dogs told me to just bury my pride and get a release trigger. Gettng one of those releases, and using Terry's Chart to learn how to safely use it, was the best thing I ever did...I can't thank these guys enough for the advice that day.

Go to the release and don't be afraid. Once you master it you'll wonder why you never got one to begin with. If I had one of Terry's charts early on, when the flinch first was noticed, I may have been able to not go to the release. I had never heard of this chart before so I just struggled on...I still love my release though and continue to use the chart to stay smooth and flinch free.

Dave in NY

13. laura!

laura! Member

dickgtax,

Ya got one.

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Circumcision would be very extreme for me.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I use several because they have not been banned......

No flinch, just the closest thing to a set trigger I've found.

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

My idea of a release trigger.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Boats/?action=view&current=Partyboat.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Just trying to break up the boredom

Jim

17. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I just liked a release, I switched to it the first year I shot registered. I never had a flinch but shot a bow a lot with my fingers as a kid and the release (same move) felt very smooth. Handicap loads would get me stopping my swing and I knew I was much smoother tracking angles with the release.

Terry

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Drew Waller of Ohio trapshooting fame uses both pull and release triggers. Sometimes both on the same day of trapshooting!! He shoots either pretty darned good, knows what a good pull trigger is also. Hap

19. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Check the pull weight of the trigger. If it is less than 3.5 pounds then have it raised to 5 lbs. Sometimes the heavier pull weight can stave off the need for the release.

Chipking- Email me pkinerATphilkinerDOTCOM and I will send you my phone number to discuss if you wish. Phil

20. chipking

chipking TS Member

Phil Thanks for the advise I have e-mailed you.

US Marine Retired Semper Fi I practiced dismounts and opening the gun a bunch before I would even take it to the range. It is not 100% natural yet but I am feeling much more relaxed with it. I now include those in with my gun lifts and pointing.

Thanks to all for their responses.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.