1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What load to use shooting a new gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi everyone: Just picked up a new Trap Gun and was wondering if it would be better to start shooting, patterning, experimenting with 1 1/8 oz. That would give me full advantage for set-up and trial & error. Any thoughts?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Personally, I would shoot light to medium loads in it for a while. Don't know if shotguns are like rifles, but I had a new 45-70 rifle that I wanted to shoot long-range with. So, I loaded up some really shoulder thumping rounds and sighted it in for 300 yards. After shooting a fair number of rounds at 400 I noticed the bullets were beginning to spread all over the target. Seems that a new barrel and long range shooting with high-power loads had stretched the barrel and the riflings were out of kilter, causing the erratic shots. Measured the barrel when I got home and it was bout 2 inches longer than when I started. Hard to believe, huh?

Like I say, dunno if it works for a shotgun or not, but why take a chance if ya don't have to. Just shoot it for a while with light loads and work up. Good luck.

Gne J.

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Look...tshippie is putting you on BIG time. Rifles that shoot high velocity rounds need almost total cleaning between each of the first ten shots..get the instructions from Savage Arms. A shotgun is different; just shoot it and then clean it at the end of the shooting day to get out the plastic residue. Perhaps you could be a little careful if it is a boxlock trapgun and not let it get too hot so there is NO possibility of seizing.

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I was thinking that having the extra 1/8oz or 1/4oz would help out with patterning, breaks, etc. Not for break'in period purposes. I've been experimenting with different loads and don't have a favorite. I was thinking the more lead out there would incease the chances of hitting the target hence faster set-up. Dave T.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you are referring to comb and rib adjustments, I would recommend using the tightest choke available to you and shoot the shells you plan to shoot at ATA targets. If you believe that more shot will increase the probability of hitting a target, as I do, then I would shoot 1 1/8 oz shell for both testing and ATA events.

Pat Ireland

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Thanks Pat. Your an asset to this forum.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Shoot the loads that you intend to shoot on a regular basis. I have and SKB O/U that kicks so bad I can only shoot light loads and enjoy shooting thus thats what I pattern with

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

PerazziBigBore, ditto

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Talk to your gun and find out what load it likes. Treat your gun like a friend and it will do the right thing. HMB

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Thanks hmb for the advise. That hasn't worked on my wife but I'll give it a shot with my gun. Dave T.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Whatever turns you on! Doesn't matter, except it SHOULD be the one you want to shoot trap using!

12. famill00

famill00 TS Member

DTrykow,

That comment about your wife cracked me up. Hasn't worked on my girlfriend either. A wise guy once told me that when in a relationship and you are the guy, you can either be right or you can be happy...true huh?

Forrest

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, heavy loads are known to untwist the rifling. And open up chokes. In fact, pointed in the right direction, they'll shorten or lengthen the day, or season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.