1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of stock finish was used in the 70's on Miroku/Daly guns

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Alligator, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Alligator

Alligator TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anybody have an idea what may have been used for stock finish on a 1975/76 Charles Daly Miroku Superior trap gun. It is very glossy and deep but shows some scuffs and bruising that are not through the finish and into the wood which indicates the finish is softer than urethane. Maybe nitro cellulose lacquer? Back in the day the old Ithaca SBT and others used DuPont 56 lacquer and multiple coats looked like a modern urethane gloss finish. I'm thinking of trying to steam out some of the bruises which if the finish is lacquer it will wipe off hot where urethane won't. Any ideas guys? Gator

2. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Active Member

You will need to remove the finish regardless, if you want to steam out dents, so I guess the type of finish is irrelevant. I bet a good finish stripper that is capable of removing epoxy finishes will work on most hard stock finishes. I don't remember the name but I got some from Home Depot to remove the glossy finish from one of my Beretta 686s.

That was about the nastiest finish that I've encountered in my life!

3. Alligator

I usually steam first to see what will raise up before stripping or sanding as if you break the corner of the dent and finish you will have to sand it out for sure. Also anything that will raise means you don't have to sand deeper. I have been successful in blending existing finishes with feathered out sanded spots using urethane without stripping the whole stock. Gator

4. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Active Member

Not too sure how steaming would work unless the steam enters the pores in the wood. If the finish passes moisture freely, you can be succesful but finishes like poly, epoxy and lacquer don't so I don't think you will gain much unless you remove the finish first.

You are correct about the breaking of the fiber. Once that happens, you are out of luck with steaming.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  5. stockmaker12

stockmaker12 Active Member

I'm pretty sure it was lacquer. really depends on what kind of results you want. I like dupont chroma-clear. You may want to try calling AGS Art's gun shop in Hillsboro MO

6. Alligator

Problem solved! It was urethane and I recoated it after steel wooling the marks that steaming wouldn't pop up and feather sanding the rest. I used Perma Lyn which dries faster than some oil modified urethanes and after two coats it looks like new. I'm letting it cure at least 48 hours and will rub it down afterwards with a Tripoli/linseed wipe down followed by Simichrome polish. And away we go! Gator