1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what kind of leaf blower

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying a gas leaf blower and am leaning towards a Stihl BG 85. I would appreciate comments from experince with this or other good blowers. I am not interested in electric blowers. I am considering the ones with vacuum and mulch attacments but not stuck on it. lets hear your pro's and cons of what to do and what not to do when buying

2. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I have the Stihl SH 85 and like it a lot. Had a Homelite and the Stihl is 200% better.

3. cubancigar2000

Steve, what does the SH mean or the BG for that matter?

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

We have the Stihl BG-55 with the mulch kit and are totally satisfied with it's performance. Our "yard" is over 1 1/2 acres with lots of Oak trees, so we use the Stihl a LOT! Working perfect after 2 years!

AndyH ;-)

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Working as a contractor, the past 20 years, I've worn out a few Echo PB-1000's and really have had no trouble with that model whatsoever. I'd recommend it. They have a pretty good life span, if you stay with the correct oil mix. Works as good as any commercial grade Echo blower, and I've used those too. The commercial models were more tempermental and a third more money. I've also used a Shindiawa with good results, ,but not a Stihl. Last one I bought new in box from an ebay seller about 60% discount compared to Home Depot. If you ever want to do a fast cleanup of your leaves, get an 8HP Little Wonder commercial walk behind blower. Costs about $950 new, but you can find them used for $350. Don't buy any smaller than 8HP. A smaller one is good for a driveway only. The 8HP will dig wet leaves up and out of wet grass.

6. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Using a rake is better exercise and no noise trauma. Of course getting your wife to do it gives you more time to reload. D Winter

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I happen to own a Stihl and a Homelite. The Stihl is hands down a superior blower. I've always used synthetic 2 stroke oil (Amsoil) in my smaller 2 strokes and haven't had any problems.

8. andybull

andybull Active Member

Get a Stihl, you wont look back.

9. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

get a Stihl you wont be happy with anything else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Echo..... Echoooo..... Echoooooooooo.......

Echo. Did I say Echo?

I love my Echo!

SW

11. cubancigar2000

I have some ech gas powered tools and they are great but in blowers the stihl gets the top reviews. Tron - I use amsoil in everything, car, truck morotrcycle and tractors

12. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

SH 85 is a Blower / vac. Same blower with vac attachment.

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Ditto on using AMZOIL. ZERO engine failures or issues in over 15 years of using it @ 100:1 mix ratio!

AndyH ;-)

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've got the hand held, simple Stihl for my mini lot - with maples and such - and it's been all I could want. Perfectly happy with the Stihl oil though......Bob Dodd

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Anybody use electric?

Quieter, and they make much less smoke...

16. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I got the Weed Eater Model SB180BV back in 1999, it is still going strong. I use it weekly and with Autumn approaching the Oak tree will really put it to work.

Got it at Lowe's for $88.00

Frank

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Stihls; one handheld, one backpack. You need both. Great tools. I bought the backpack with the attached spray tank. It is great for spraying insecticides, etc., as well as blowing chores.

The only thing I would possibly consider other than a Stihl is a Redmax, but I don't think they have a tank model.

BTW, you are still going to need a rake and tarp. There is a limit to the amount of leaves you can effectively blow. Once the row gets higher than 18", you should just rake them onto the tarp and haul them away. The only blower that will move all the leaves off my property without raking are the 9+ horsepower Little Wonder blowers, and that's only if they are dry.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like my Echo chain saw but my Echo leaf blower/mulcher never worked that well. Just not enough suction and it tended to clog pretty easily when bagging. Don't remember the model. I have a lot of leaves to deal with in the fall so I am looking to upgrade this year. Sounds like I should look for a Stihl.

Tim, you just can't get into the 'Saw' state of mind with electric powered tools .... come on you know it's a guy thing.

19. houmike

houmike TS Member

As someone who used to be a rep for Stihl when that series of blowers came out, my two cents....

When comparing various leaf blowers, a relevant spec to look at is CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute). MPH is not that important- CFM is what moves the pile.

To demonstrate how great these blowers were, we used to compare them against our competition's backpack blowers. It never failed to impress people. We also showed people how we could use a BG85 to push a brick on a flat sidewalk- always an attention getter!!

Some people swear by synthetic oil- if you like it, it won't hurt anything. Make sure that you are using oil designed for the RPM and heat range of hand held equipment- using outboard oil is a mistake. Outboard engines do not get near the RPM or engine temperature of hand held, and the lubrication requirements are different.

One last thing- these are high performance engines- you would not believe the RPMs we can get out of them. Use 89 octane gas. When you look at the price difference of a gallon of 87 versus 89,and you see how long that gallon will last, it is a small cost.

Any other lawn and garden hand held questions- give me a shout!

Mike

20. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Stihl hands down....

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cfm of echo blower pb-1000

echo pb-1000 review

sb180bv review