1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind is it??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I found this spider on my garage floor this morning. It was still alive when I found it but died(alright by me) a short time later. I am curious as to what kind it is. It is rather large for this area and the only spiders I can recall being this large are black and yellow "Banana Spiders". We do have Brown Recluse but I know its not that. I live in Southern Illinois. Any help??
    [​IMG]

Frankly the damn thing gives me the willies............yuk
    [​IMG]

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Looks like a Tarantula

We have a bunch of them here in Texas, didn't think they went that far north, but it sure looks like one

We get huge ones

And they love blasting sand, I had an open bag in one of my shops and they invaded it had to sieve they out

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That is a big Brown Recluse if it was. Was he growling at you, and showing his fangs?

Can you imagine feeling a crawling sensation on your arm, and waking up and seeing that? That will get your heart a racing, along with a quick shot of adrenaline. LOL

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

That's a Wolf spider.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That is huge Wolffy! I would be afraid to let kitty outside.

6. grntitan

Well my Father n law said Wolf Spider this morning, but he wasn't 100% positive. After Tron also said Wolf, I think they are right. I just Googled Wolf Spider and sure enough a few of the pics are spot on. I just hope it's the only one. Time for the exterminators to come back and respray.

Thanks Fellas...

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I think I would have gotten the 12ga out for that one. Hate creepy crawlies.

8. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

grntitan

Google "wolf spider" and read about these things. Talk about the willies!

If this is a wolf spider, and I don`t know, they would scare the heck out of anyone.

9. grntitan

Wikipedia says:

Wolf spiders will inject venom freely if continually provoked. Symptoms of their venomous bite include swelling, mild pain and itching. Though usually considered harmless to humans, the bite of some species may be painful.

They have some creepy eyes though. Never trust someone with eyes like this.
    [​IMG]

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Matt,

You might want to watch for more. That wikipedia article said something about them carrying their eggs with them. It may have carried eggs into your garage. Don't go out bare footed.

John

11. 6chuter

6chuter Member

It's a wolf spider. They live in a burrow in the ground and hunts at night mainly feeding on crickets, grasshoppers and other insects. When my girls were young we would go "spider huntin" and find them all over the place. Take a flashlight and hold it to your head level with your eyes and you'll see their eyes emit a greenish light up to 30-40 yards away.

Happy Huntin!

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Guess it could be a wolf spider it really isn't hairy enough to be a tarantula, but I haven't seen a wolf that big before, they don't make it that long before they die, I love Lorsban

Lately I have been seeing a lot of Black Widows around here, they will mess up your day if they bite you they claim, and I don't plan on finding out

13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Lobster!!

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Definitely a wolf spider.

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

What many of you don't know is that the Wolf spider injects a highly potent "Skeeter toxin". Once the victim is bitten, they have the appearance of wearing full facial makeup, which includes eyeliner, lipstick, blush and will even speak with a notable lisp. This effect may last for months, or until they get Bitch slapped.

16. grntitan

Tron,

I have seen one of those. I'll be darn. That's what happened to him uh her uh it.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.