1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what killed the recoiless trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coho, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coho

coho Member

my regular trap gun was in the shop a few weeks ago so i dusted off the recoiless and was once again amazed at how fun it is to shoot a gun with no recoil. i missed some at first because i forgot about the delay in firing but the comical sound it makes when you shoot made up for the missed birds. i kept my head down better and because of the delay my follow through was better. so what killed the gun?

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

What kind of gun is it?? A Ljutic "Space Gun"?? Rick

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

What do you mean by delay?

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I think he means the Browning RecoiLess. I had one; shot it a few times and sold it. I had the longer barrel and it was a heavy gun. Nice soft shooter, but I just coludn't get used to calling it my # 1 gun.
    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Whatever else people didn't like (locktime,loading,weight etc.) the reason it didn't go over well when it came out was that it was too expensive. The same problem the new Beretta break-open auto.

6. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

I have a Recoilless and shoot it quite regularly. I don't notice any additional delay than my Krieghoff or XT. It shoots extremely soft and the noise it makes occurs after the shot has left the barrel. Takes about five to ten rounds to get used to. It weighs exactly the same as my XT with the GraCoil. It is barrel heavy though and so swings a little slower than my other guns. I like shooting it much better than my BT99 which I finally sold. It does seem as though it would be more complicated to manufacture and being a single shot trap would limit it's sales appeal and volume. If they were still making it it would probably cut into Browning's BT99 sales. So I think they just chose to manufacture the BT99 and let the Recoilless go.

7. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was too ugly.

Lou

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

A G squared and Beretta Auto trap model seems a better combination; simplicity, overall cost, parts availability, weight, pointing ability, and almost a total lack of felt recoil..plus better trigger in potential, and ease in converting to a release.

Pacific Sporting Arms has, I believe, a rather nice (used, of course) recoiless Browning Trapgun. Kinda cool...

9. coho

coho Member

spanky, the RecoiLess has a slight delay in firing when you pull the trigger. my understanding is when you pull the trigger it pushes a weight forward via a spring and when the weight is in the correct place then the gun goes off and the force of the weight going forward counteracts the recoil. the sound of the spring is all that you hear when the gun goes off.

10. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

The few in this area I knew of had some reliability issues. After they got around, nobody wanted one. I've never owned, nor shot one, but after hearing a little about them, I wouldn't want to, either.

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

There was a recall IIRC and after that, like Justin L. said, no one wanted one. They are are a fun gun for around $700.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've always wanted the shorter barreled version of this gun to do some extended shooting with, but alas, with a kid in college, it will have to wait. (Unless someone has one and needs a large lead melting furnace that I no longer have any use for as a partial trade.)

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The gun has a very low felt recoil, a poor trigger and does not seem to hold up well to extended shooting.

Pat Ireland

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And, it is left hand intolerant.....

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It has a poor lock time, heavy, poor weight distribution, and it is not comfortable in your hands when mounted to fire, re: poor weight distribution.Besides it is an ugly gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

flintlocks are faster. And better looking.

The one good point: We had a few guys using them after shoulder surgery for a few months then change back to their regular gun.

Every club bunch should have one available somewhere.

HM

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Because it ended up being a piece of junk, that's what kilt it. I see the UGB25 following in it's foot steps.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to kill something that was never alive

19. jhoward

jhoward Member

I've shot one a few times and it felt ok, less felt recoil than any gun I've ever shot, but they don't hold up well if used with anything heavier than 3dr loads. Several people around here had them and had to develop special loads for shootoffs and Annies because the guns wouldn't handle the punishment of standard 1 1/4 and bigger loads.

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Darwin?!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.