1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your opinion on welfare?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Kolar Kid, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

This is just an opinion question

what are your views on welfare (food stamps...cash assistance....ect ect) On one side---you have people who are having a rough time (loss of job-family crisis ect ect)that it helps in troubled time....but on the other hand.....most of the people that i see/know spend their money on drugs and sell their food stamps for 1/2 the price and spend that money on drugs while their kids just fend for themselves basically.

the same people never seem to have any intent on getting a job and think its neat they get free things from the government. Has anyone seen anyone doing good with their welfare or do most of you think that welfare is funding the drug industry? Do you think it is right that the government takes your hard earned money in the form of taxes to give to people who are not willing to work for their money in most cases? (the robinhood syndrome) now i am sure there are people that do good with their welfare and don't try to live on it....but i am just wondering your personal experiences/opinions.

KK

2. jrton80

jrton80 Member

I have heard it said before that many of the places we work require random urine test and we pay taxes on the money we earn. The tax money is then used for the programs you listed. Why not require the people receiving the money to take a urine test before getting the money?

Jeff

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

When I'm King of the U.S., there will be some major changes. The IRS will have one form, the size of a medium sticky and it will have a line for all income earned, a line with a percentage multiplier, and the final line of how much shall be sent in; a flat, no loophole, tax on every dollar earned. Most of the current employees of the IRS will be re-emplyed at Welfare Camps not unlike a military base. Each camp will accept anyone that believes they need public assistance and the "customer" will be assigned to a small room with bed, chair, writing desk, and closet. Medical attention will be provided. TV will be offered in the multi-purpose room and "customers" will be expected to work in gardens, in mattress and furniture making shops, janitorial work, and so on so that the Camps are as self sufficient as possible. Any "customer" that finds this too demeaning can choose at any moment to "hit the bricks" and find employment in the real world and pay their taxes calculated on the med. sticky. Best elect me soon....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My opinion is that over 90% of the adults on welfare CAN work for a living, but squirm their way out of it. Disability is another system that is HORRIBLY abused in this country. And we wonder why SS is going belly up?

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Welfare system is a total mess and abused by calculated thiefs, liars, druggies, and Illegal aliens ... I would vote for BDodd and his system if it was ever possible but those on Welfare won't let it happen ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Out of which fund does Medicaid come from? At the end of the year our government puts in an IOU to Social Security for the money taken out. Now we wonder why Social Security is broken. What would happen if we sent in an IOU for our taxes. What would the IRS do? Social Security should only be for those who have paid into the system and no one else. Also Bob I like your idea. Michael

7. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

It all just makes me sick.

I for one have always worked and made a good living as a result of my long and hard hours studying my trade. That came at a personal financial cost and high effort on my part.

Now, my sister in-law is married to a worthless sack of $h!t that has not worked on over 10 years. He is completely able if any effort at all was made by him. His story is he can make more on Welfare than a job would pay him as he has no skills to speak of. In my opinion he is too lazy to work, get an education, blah blah so we all must pay. The wife on the other hand went back to school and just completed her AA with plans to go 2 more years and get her BA degree. All along working part time and taking care of their two kids while the Sack lies around and sleeps all day. Make no sense to me at all why she stays with him, maybe the kids?

I agree with the urine test completely. I also think there should be a time limit on assistance and a monthly report of where you applied for work like unemployment. Maybe ship out the illegals and put the welfare recipients in the fields or on the jobs the illegals do now. If they won't do that, cut them off...

I could go on and on but don't have the time...

KK

8. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

The other problem is the poor kids are the ones who suffer because of worthless sacks of $h!t parents... I'm ranting now..

KK

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Drug test first, yes yes

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Wow. A thread that can trigger some heated discussion.

Well, I agree with all of you. Problem is how do we fix it?

Sharkey has the best point. Its cheaper to pay these people than to track them down. (no, it isnt right)

The prisons are barely able to handle violent crime cases.

This is one reason the illegals are taking lots of jobs. At least most of them work somewhere.

The new president will have his hands full.

regards....Gerald

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bring back WPA and put welfare workers to work in some occupation to gain some value for the dollars expended.

Pave dirt roads, lay underground utilities, clean up blighted areas raze abandoned homes, clean neighborhoods with trash... don't want to work... AOK - no tickee, no cashee.

Those with kids, pay direct for daycare, while training a segment of out-of-work folks to be future daycare workers. No subsidy to pump out children.

We only have to think outside the box to get some bang for these bucks.

My $0.02,

Jay

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It seems that welfare in this country is abused more often than not and the end result is a proliferating welfare class. By that I'm refering to inner city kids that grow up thinking that money for living comes from the government and thats as good as it gets. A similar injustice has also occured with most native american tribes - too many give away programs that eliminate the need to make something of themselves and in the process they loose their self respect and ambition for the future. That one hits real close to home for me as I am 1/4 Sioux with my grandfather being full blooded. He insisted that I never take anything from the government because of my bloodline because he thought it would weaken me. He was a fairly succesful bank owner and later a rancher. I have been tempted many times to ignore his advice, particularly when I was stuggling to get through college. Looking back at it I think one of the big motivators for me getting through school was that I was tired of being broke.

On the other side of the coin, I do know a person that put their life back together and made something of themself by taking full advantage of several government programs including welfare. This person is now a solvent tax paying citzen raising two kids on her own. I know she 'paid her dues' and is not raising the next generation of welfare recipients. So yes welfare can be a very good thing for our society. The problem is in deciding who needs it and for how long.

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've already taught my FOUR year old daughter that the guy holding the sign on the side of the road is too lazy to work.

Go after the hearts and minds of the children....just like they're doing to try and get our guns. If enough kids think that its lazy folks looking for the handouts, maybe, just maybe, when they can vote the handouts will stop.

But I digress....

The major problem, in my opinion, is that so many folks pay NO taxes, and some get the Earned income credit refund - hey, you didn't make enough last year. No, don't worry about paying..it's OK, here's some of Jeff's money for you. -
    BDodd has the right idea about taxes. I would only add that EVERYONE MUST PAY SOMETHING...even it's only $100. Or $50.

Put some skin in the game....

jeff

14. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I REALLY like the drug test idea PLUS put them in jobs the illegals do know and ship the illegals back to where ever they came from. NO EXCEPTIONS. WOW!!!! What a concept. ALSO like the idea that only those that put into SS should get it.

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

In the past I would have agreeded with you 100%, but today my wife has been on the phone all day, my 22 year old son had a heart valve repaired 2 years ago, about 3 weeks ago he developed strep throat, it settled...you guessed it in his heart and blood, he has no insurance.

Now his spleen is getting infected, and he has severe stomach pain....etc.

SS said it could take till 9/2/08 to give an answer....but the state agency may move a little quicker now that we have a case #.

If he was an illegal, he wouldn't even have to have picture id, to get help, everywhere we have called, they keep sending us to another 1-800 number.

this is an emergency situation, and he is not a minority, so it's like pulling teeth just to get an answer.

How do these other people get this help, if there is really nothing wrong with them??

tony

16. DJM

DJM Member

Minnesota uses debit cards to issue $ to welfare recipients. It allows tracking of where the money is spent. The link above is a real eye opener. It shows that every state in the union gets some of our money. Illinois for example had 48 thousand plus transactions totaling 1.2 million in a recent 12 month period. Even Hawaii shows some tranactions. Why would Minnesota residents on welfare be spending the money so far from home? Sure looks like the system is broken to me.

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You couldn't have devised a better program to destroy poor American families and keep people trapped in poverty if you had intentionally tried. With 60 percent of black families without fathers and over 80 percent in poor neighborhoods I don't see how anyone could not see the total failure of the welfare state. Our prisons are full because of the same failed programs. Our schools are failing in urban areas because of the same failed programs. Now Mexican immigrants have the greatest rate of teenage pregnancies. Liberalism fails every time it is tried. You want to help the poor, get the government out of the poverty business.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

"When a society pays a person for merely being instead of doing, that society is unerringly preparing for its own demise."

If used as a HAND UP, yes. As it is now used as a HAND OUT, no.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

If an adult 18 years of age and over has the physical and mental capacity to work then that's what they need to do. We can not keep paying people to stay home and have babies. If we pay people to work in their neighbor hoods making improvments, that would be far better than paying people to sit home. For people with disabilities mental or physical we need to help them. We need to stop creating a welfare state. Let's spend the money on reeducation and get these people jobs! Give a person a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and you get to keep more of your own catch. Let's teach these peoepl to work support themselves nad enhnace their self respect.

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Rush Limbaugh was right when he said we have the wealthiest poor people in the world. They live way better than the middle class did when I was a kid. We were middle class and didn't even have TV. I had patched clothes along with everyone else though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.