1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your opinion on K-80 Trap Special?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

K-80 Trap Special - how do you like it? Unsingle or top fire? Locktime?

All opinions appreciated, Matt

2. hit-it

hit-it TS Member

Matt, I purchased a Trap Special Combo last Dec. Still have my first K-80 with lower step rib. The higher rib on the Trap Special helps me to see the target much faster. Picked up 1 target on my average. Great gun but still kept the first for a back up, but doubt if I will need it. Krieghoffs in my opinion are great guns. Mike K.

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Matt, the K-80 special has now a very popular following with the very accomplished shooters, it's very easy to point and shoot, the gun of course is a k-80 with special high ribs, my configuration is a top single combo gun and I really like it, there are shooters who prefer a top single to an unsingle and as long as we have the luxury of choice, all is good! Lock time is the same as the regular k-80s crisp and repeating, they are a fuzz slower than the RT kreighoff, and almost the same as my p-gun, certainly slower than the Silver Seitz or the Bowen triggers which are without peer. The guns are capable of hundreds of thousands of rounds of trouble-free shooting, you can't go wrong, magnificent gun, factory backing and great service, something that is sorely lacking with a couple of B-gun manufactures! all the best, incinerate em!

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Outstanding. Personally it is the finest I have owned and I have owned many. I prefer the top single but that is just my preference.

Don

5. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Thanks for input. I love playing with new guns. I saw one @ the U.S. Open today. I have shot Krieghoff's before, and really liked them.

Matt

6. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

It is the best trap gun I have ever owned. Mine is the top single. Better visiablity with the higher rib. K-Gun has supior customer service. Their Italian competition cannot even spell customer service. If do not believe me ask Paul Quattlebaum. PK

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have a standard K-80. The rib/barrel adjustment is maxed out. I can not get it to shoot high enough without seeing alot of rib between the beads. I think this is one of the reasons they came out with high rib? More adjustment? I have heard that there are a number of shooters that cannot get the new top single to shoot high enough either. I also wonder how many of the all-americans got free or reduced priced guns from Kreighoff. It seams like everyone has one. Phil shoots his great. But he could probably shoot well with a 2x4 stock wired to a lead pipe. I've had my K-80 for 10 years with no issues. Been like a tank. I shoot an adjustable rib Seitz right now.

8. hit-it

hit-it TS Member

Champion 11, Seems like people with P guns just like to knock K guns. Have had my first Krieghoff for years and have had no trouble. The trap special I'm sure will give me years of trouble free service also. I'm sure some of the top shooters would not use any gun if the were not reliable, K gun or P gun. Mike K.

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I love my Trap Special. I have the top single and it shoots plenty high for me. In fact after a year of shooting it I actually lowered it a bit (from 90-10 to 80-20). They've even come out with a higher rib for the Trap Special but it's not available by itself yet. By the time I get to the 27 yrd line (if ever) the higher rib may be available by itself and I may buy one.

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I just bought a K-80 TS. Top single. Very nice gun. I'm still in the learning phase. Trigger and balance are fantastic. Dave T.

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

with all this talk about ribs i am reminded of the great mark arie (who won everything there was to win)and he did it with an old marlin pump that had no rib. look up his record it's fun reading.

12. John Wall

John Wall TS Member

As one who still repairs tournament guns for side money and to get local shooters back on the field quickly, I do not see all the "complicated trigger" issues on the K-Gun.

As a Beretta Factory Armorer (new tacticool term for gunsmith), I repair a bunch of Berettas. I am a Remington Factory Armorer, and I repair a lot of Remmys. I service and perform annuals on a lot of Brownings, Perazzi's, and now SKB's.

Why? Folks shoot them with no service until they quit. If you shoot a Krieghoff long enough without service, it will eventually quit. So will a Perazzi, Flodman, Caprinus, whatever!

Performing the obligatory annual will keep your target cruncher running at peak performance, and will drastically lower the chance of a breakage at an inopportune time. There is NEVER an opportune time for your tournament gun to puke out!

13. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Forgive me folks, but the guy asked for opinions or advice about the K80 Trap Special...............

I am often amazed at the many tangents some of these threads go off on. In many cases, personal experience with something else may be of great value, but save it for when THAT topic surfaces. Comparisons to rival manufacturers' equipment does little to serve the needs of a shooter who is obviously seeking some valuable insight to a "particular" brand and model of trap gun.

Aside from the first few replies from actual TS owners, much of this thread (while informative) does not serve the man's needs.

JMO.

14. Vijay

Vijay TS Member

The K-80 trap special is a great gun. I have the unsingle and was shooting around 10 birds per round average for the first month I got it (even though I had a 90+% average with my BT-99). Now, after about 6 month shooting it, my scores have improved a lot. I started shooting doubles about 4 months ago and love the gun for doubles…I used to shoot an XT for doubles, but cannot handle the trigger creep on the second shot.

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

M.I.A. ok who is Paul Quattlebaum:

Im sure he is the same to some one like Phil as he is to me, so that would be a friend is who he is.

I met him 2 years ago at the Michigan state shoot and could tell he was a all right guy well even Tron liked him so that's got to tell you something.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/family%20photos/friends/?action=view&current=quatttle-tron.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

By the way he must have took a few of phil's classes from the way he shot that day he either broke a 98 or 97 from the 27 that day and got 3rd or better non resident trophy after a shoot off.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/family%20photos/friends/?action=view&current=shootoff.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foghorn

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mr. Quattlebaum is also a very good friend of mine - friends don't come a whole lot better, in fact. He is an Arkansas native but lives all over the country laying out and supervising the construction of huge mega-warehouses for his New Jersey-based employer. Accordingly, Paul has worked and shot in all but two of the continental States, so lot of you may know him but not realize it. He's overseeing projects in Denver and Strinestown, PA right now; we had dinner together last night and have a shrimp feed planned for tonight.

Aside from being an all-around nice guy, "The Quattleblaster" is also a fair shot, especially from back in the rarefied air of the 27 yard line. Consult your ATA Average Books and you'll find he occasionally has the highest handicap average of all Arkansas shooters in spite of the fact that he will shoot at any club in any weather and his bad scores, many of which I would take for good ones from that yardage, only result in his famous belly-laugh and usual explanation - "That was HORRIBLE!"

Phil mentioned Paul because he is the latest of the many shooters to be driven to a new K-80TS because of less than stellar service from Perazzi regarding rib breakage on fairly new MX-10s. Perazzi seemingly takes no shame from charging buyers of their expensive guns $515 for a replacement aluminum adjustable rib (and that's just for the part, folks) when they are aware that those ribs are prone to breakage. Like Phil, Paul is hardly a first-time Perazzi client - he's bought three new sketty gun combos in the last five or so years, including an MX-8 combo that he's hardly shot yet.

Paul has great plans for his Perazzis once the new Trap Special gets dialed in. He's buying a home here in the south-central Pennsylvania area because he likes us folks and there's always somewhere to shoot. He says he's going to put a garden in part of the yard and use those Perazzis as 'mater stakes. I believe a photo shoot of that fruit-bearing patch for the benefit of Perazzi USA is on his agenda.

Ed

17. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Champion II- It is easy to sling inuendo under cover of a bogus screen name. I will tell why I switched from Pgun to Kgun when you reveal you real name to me. pk

18. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Drew, Why are you trying to sell yours?

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

No "man of honor" would slam a great shooter for his current gun choice, then sign with a bogus wanna bee name.

Shannon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

paul quattlebaum gun