1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*What is Your Most Memorable Trapshooting Day?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I’ve had good days in my trapshooting lifetime but one stands out above all the rest. It was the day my eleven year old son shot his first registered shoot. He had shot a couple of practice rounds but that was all. One Sunday we got up early and drove to an out of town shoot. We got there, signed up and nervously waited for the shoot to begin. Time to go! Don’t you know, my son was on the first squad, LEADING OFF! If I was nervous before, I nearly became a basket case when I saw that.

I shot on the second squad. I say shot; actually most of my time was spent looking over to see how he was doing. My squad members had to remind me a few times that it was my turn to shoot. How it happened was, and is, still a blur but I shot my first 100 straight that day. BUT……. that isn’t the good part. Looking over to see the boy’s squad members shaking his hand and patting him on the back gave me a special feeling. Don’t remember what he broke but he was high on his squad and won his first Jr trophy.

I was 6’ 1” tall when I arrived at that shoot but I was 6 ft twenty when we left to go home. Of course, the boy grew some too.

Booger

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mine is coming very soon. I leave for the Southern Grand tomorrow morning.
    But, does anyone remember the second line of the short poem that begins " Hope springs eternal within the human brest..."?

Pat Ireland

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Won H-cap buckle at Kingsburg with a 97.....and yes, Dan Bonillas was shooting also! I will never forget that!

AndyH

4. Ertz

Ertz Member

Two years ago at the Minnesota state shoot. My wife shot her first (and only) 25 straight. I was SO excited!

5. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Hi Vern, Uh......are you sure they're ok? LOL

BB

6. 525 KID

525 KID TS Member

Whenever i can beat Dalton Jennings or Darrin Clawson!!!! And whoever loses hears about it for a week or two until we can get to the next shoot!!! and like alwaz I'm usually the one who is licking his wounds until we battle it out again.......

7. BAP

BAP TS Member

Winning the Doubles at the Grand in 97 would be first for me. The most forgettable would have to be the 172 in the Grand American Singles Championship last year. Bill Parson Jr.

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Last year at the Maryland State Shoot - I shot like I had on a blindfold, but my wife broke her first ever 25 and my son had the only 25 of his SCTP team.

9. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

M.R. does your son shoot for mt, airy?

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Watching my daughter and team win the 05 SCTP Grand. (In Vandalia)

Watching her win the 05 TN Ladies Championship. Follow it up with a 97 in the Champion Of Champions

All this starting at age 13.

Watching her win all her other trophies, break her first 25 straight, 50 straight, 75 and 100.

I won a couple non registered events but they don't count for much compared to her accomplishments.

11. Lyle

Lyle Member

My favorite moment spans a few years: I started shooting with my girlfriends dad in a trap league in 1980. All Jim ever talked about was this guy named Dan Bonillas and that he was the best shooter in the world ect. ect.........fast forward to the 2000 something Grand (I think 2003) The first 200 singles event of Grand Week I fire a 200. The 200 was one of 43 I think.

I ran the first box during the shootoff and then it happened. I go out for the second round of the shootoff and on post one is Harlan Campbell, post two is Patrick Stacey, post three is me, post four I don't know and post five is Dan Bonillas. I had to stop and remember some 23 years ealier the man who got me going on clay targets and wondering where he was that night as I stoood in Vandalia, in front of the grandstands, shooting off against Dan Bonillas, Jim's perception of the best in the world.

Thanks for the start in trap Jim. And that is my favorite trap memory.

Lyle

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A friend in 1975 asked me if I would like to go trap shooting, I didn't even know what trap shooting was. I used his gun and broke my first target. Trap has been a drug ever since. Other things have come and gone, but I'll always remember that day at the old Winchester gun club in Denver. You might say it was love-at-first-shot......

13. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

The next one--whenever that one may be. Until the NEXT one, of course.

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Two days actually. Last summer at the Great Lakes Grand I shot my first 100 straight the next day with the same squad my son shot his first 100 straight.
    They were both in 200 bird events so nobody even knew we were there. But we did. Bill

15. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Pat, "Man never is, but always to be blest".........Good luck and keep your head down.....Roger

16. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Pat,

A struggling few got up to go, leaving there the rest, with the hope that springs eternal within the human breast.

For they thought, if only Casey could get a whack at that, they'd put up even money now with Casey at the Bat.

J.Woolsey

17. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I have many trap shooting memories. Most memorable would be Pennsylvania state shoot 2003. My first state shoot. Nervous, shaking/week at the knees.
    I had only started shooting trap the year before. I was in the zone. Focused on every target. It was 25,50,75 and 100 ran the first 100. I had never even broken 50 straight. My father also had 100 straight, not his first though.
    Wow that was great. My father ran his first 200 straight that day. Ended up with AA RU. I ended up with a 193 dropped 7 targets. Not bad for my first state shoot. I was very proud of my father and myself that day.

Jason in PA

18. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Tuscarora - no, he shoots for Cedar Gun Club in Darlington.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Breaking my lone 100 straight in singles with my son on my squad...

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Most Memorable day..... When my friend Ronly Duncan shot a 25 straight in practice and I was right next to him and shot a 25 straight as well. He was a game shooter and just never could put a 25 straight togather! The day he did I was with him and shot one as well. I didn't know that day that he would be gone soon. I took the practice scoring sheet home and posted it above my reloading bench and we always got a kick looking at it out in my garage( The practice sheet with both of our 25 straights on it)... Year or so later Ron went jogging and broke into a sprint at the end of his run. He heard a crack and it turned out to be his pelvis snapping! Bone cancer... He passed a short time later. Now that practice sheet is taped to the inside of my gun cabinet along with a few other things that I like to see to remind me of folks who left too soon like my Dad and my brother. Hunting pictures, fishing pictures, and that practice sheet with Rons name and 25 straight hash marks next to it. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.