1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your gun hold (elevation) point ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cottondoctor, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Ok – I suspect this has been debated here many times before. But, I would like to hear a discussion or at least hear what you as a trap shooter do:
    What is your gun hold (elevation) point for singles? For handicap?
    Just curious as to how many shooters hold on the house vs. holding the gun level or higher above the house. I do realize this is a personal, individual shooter thing – but just curious as to your response and thoughts-

I have used both holds – currently I am holding parallel (level) for 16 yards and slightly lower for handicap………..my scores have suffered due to what I believe is visual (seeing the target when need to)……I think this may be what Phil Kiner calls a “visual pop” – looking and then “pow” there’s the target and a resulting jump over it and lost. My shooting results are smoke breaks and wild misses – no chips.Over the last year my singles average has gone from the mid/high 90's to the low 90's in singles.

I am considering going back to holding down on the front lip of the house and looking out over the house for the target – hopefully seeing it a little quicker and clearer……

Any thoughts on the subject?

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Sounds like your head is messing with your shooting ability. Find a technique that works and stick with it...every time you change a variable, you loose a bit of confidence and your scores show it.

PS - I hold on the top lip and it works for me. I tried to hold it higher, but I don't see the bird coming out the house, blocked by the barrel. Maybe with an unsingle it's different.

3. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

PhD-

I hold very low - the lip of the roof closest to me. What is fascinating to me in your post is that I have the same experience as you - smoke or clear misses. Chips are very rare for me.

I'm beginning to suspect that this "direct hit or clear miss" phenomenon is due to jerking the gun to the target, instead of a smooth (and slightly slower) movement. If I jerk gun to the right place -Bingo!- otherwise a miss, and a mystery as to why. Certainly I hit the hard lefts and rights much, much better if I concentrate on smoothness.

Any thoughts?

Ted K.
    (B.A, M.A., LLB)

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot registered targets since 1964 and have always thought that gun hold height is a compromise. A high gun hold means less vertical movement to the target but at the same time it means visibility is sacrificed. I am unable to hold a real high gun but can get by with about 1 1/2 feet over the house. It is easier to crossfire with a high gun hold for me anyway.

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

88 deg. from the ground plane.

tony

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have always held about a foot over the house for singles and on the front of the house for caps. But since I got prescription glasses this no longer works for me. Now I'm holding slightly lower than where I break the target for both singles and caps.

7. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I have shot skeet and hunted for 40 years with occasional bouts with trap. Now it's become more serious since I can't shoot skeet anymore due to arthritis in my neck and left shoulder. Trap works because less swinging.

Okay. I'm trying to learn the fundamentals. My gun shoots right where I'm looking. I believe my stance and gun mount are okay. I have cross shooting problems and have gone from everything to blocking out my right eye to a "magic" spot. I like the latter and am pretty used to it now. My eyesight is excellent--on good days 20/15 corrected.

I just finished watching Harlan Campbell Jr.'s DVD for the second time. Can anybody do his high-gun/look over the rib soft focus in the distance/at a place where you see a whole and clear target technique and make it work-- other than Harlan? Comments above in this thread seem to fit my situation--I see some targets float up over the rib and bust them. Angles often get lost under the barrel and I end up chasing them, completely surprised. I get some, some not.

I am shooting a Beretta A391. I will be getting a Browning Unsingle next week. Does an Unsingle high rib make a difference about seeing the target better? I like the high-gun idea but it sure seems to be problematic.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

8. wlc

wlc Member

I have watched the videos and taken three clinics. I believe anyone who is shooting with one eye, whether closing one or blocking it, would benefit from Phil Kiners video or his or Nora Ross's clinic. Nora shoots with one eye and I think Phil really understands what is necessary for a one eye shooter to improve.

9. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

Good thread. Especially for those of us still learning. Because I am still fairly new I hesitate to throw my .02 in but..

After listening to a bunch of different people, and reading what I can find about hold points, I seem to have settled into holding low - like the top of the barrel on the front of the house. It seems like the sooner I can get a nice unobstructed view of the whole target, the better - I don't feel rushed and I can move more smoothly, instead of feeling like I'm catching up. If I try to hold higher, no matter where (laterally) I hold, I at least partially loose sight, of some/all of the target.

Jim In FL

[edited for spelling]
    [jeez - edited again for spelling]

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I hold about 6 or 8 inches below the front lip of the trap house. I have a full field of view. When the target shows itself my left hand comes up under the target. When my hand cradles the target I shoot the target. Shoot with both eyes open.

Just the way i do it. There is no jerking to the target and I have plenty of time to smoke it way before it peaks.

WesleyB

11. moserag

moserag Member

My hold is just above the roof of the house for singles and handicap. I want to cover the trap house roof because I know it's easier to focus far to near than near to far. This helps keep my soft focus from being on the trap house roof, which is obviuosly nearer than the bird will be.
    If I were an All American I would suggest you do this as well, however, I'm not even close, so take it for what it's worth. Dave Moser

12. PJH82

PJH82 TS Member

I hold the top of the house for singles, and about half house on handicap. I still shoot over every bird I miss.

13. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

Well I went out and tried Harlan's method today in a howling wind. I shot 22, 20, 22 and 23. Every target I missed was because my eyes were "cheating" to look where the target was coming from. If I stayed focused over the rib I smoked 'em. All angles fell to this technique. The hard rights and lefts were really hard hit. The bird just appeared to float up over the rib and "pow."

I was holding 2-3' feet high because the wind gusts were coming toward us. Some of the targets were easily 10-15 yds above regulation flight path.

I am sold. I am going to buy the DVD.

Walter

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

1.5' for stations 1 and 2, and 2' above the house for 3,4,and 5.

15. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I use Harlan's method.

16. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Mark425, what are your ATA averages?

17. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

PJ, watch P Kiner's video and I bet you will rethink that you are shooting over the target on all your misses.

18. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Ted K. - I think my misses are the result of a jerk due to not seeing the target as I should - or not locking onto it before the gun goes off - that is why I feel I may need to change vertical hold points to help see the target better - or quicker - etc. and to work on moving the eyes first---

With your hold point down into the house I would not think any part of the gun/rib would be blocking your view -

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

center of the roof

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barrel hold must be flexible depending on how the targets are moving under all conditions. Anything from low to high and a tad farther out than normal on some. Eye intensity on the target is more important than where you start the gun in my opinion.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

explanation of harlen campbell high gun hold

trap house hold elevation

trapshooting level gun hold