1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your funniest/unusual story at the Grand??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I enjoy going to the Grand every year and I have a blast. Many funny things have happened over the years and the stories seem to get embellished as the years go by.
    One year at Vandalia I was shooting doubles and I asked my buddy if I could try his release trigger. Of course he let me have it, and he told me it was fast. I set the trigger on the first shot and when I called, the gun went off , bounced off the roof, smoked the bird , scared the heck out of me. I never saw the the target or even knew I broke the bird it scared me so bad. I did see and miss the 2nd bird.

At Sparta my buddy lost his cell phone ( he had put in a Shell flat box and pitched in the garbage). He discovered his lost phone about 10 PM and we went back to WRSC grounds to see if it was still in the garbage can. Garbage, of course, had been emptied, so we asked where the garbage was taken. Finally found the dumpsters, which were numerous and large. I called his number and my boy, after about 3 attempts, said he heard it . Like a blood hound he went to the dumpster, pointed to a garbage bag and said " it's in that bag". Sure enough, it was in the bag. Wonder what the odds of finding a phone in this situation would be?

Charlie

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Years ago, probably in the very early 90s I started shooting registered targets. That year a fellow shooter talked me into riding up to Ohio to visit the Grand on prelim days to look around and to do a little shopping. Wow, I had no idea it was that big. We had to park at the far west side. We came home and I decided I would go back and shoot the GAH on Friday.

I was wound up, woke real early Friday morning and drove the 5 to 6 hours to Dayton, just to shoot the GAH. I was here to shoot the handicap, the big event!!! I was expecting to have to park out west where we did prelim days, but when I pulled in the main gate I saw a sign for handicap parking. I thought well great the ATA has reserved spots for the contestants shooting the GAH. I figured parking on the west end is for shoppers and spectators. I pulled in and got a parking spot right behind the Hall of Fame building. I got out of the car and headed to the CEB building, then it hit me that the handicap parking area was probably for handicapped people and not people shooting the GAH.

Like I said it was my first time and I was wound up.

3. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I worked there for 8 yrs. on the west end there is a giant red and white cube for the airport thats the bank that you could only shoot hdcp back to about the 22 because the cube was in the way. Well our shade tent got destroyed in the thunderstorm the day before and it was hot that day so we was camped out in the shade of the cube before you know it the airport police vandalia police rescue squad fire engines everybody with nothing to do show up and tried to put half of us in jail for sitting in the shade. Kirk

4. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Does anyone remember when we had to stop shooting because the Vice President was landing at Dayton Airport. I think it was in 2004. All shooting stopped and we just waited.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rick's story reminds me of my first of only a few time's there back in the late 70's. After driving all day in the heat for the second day to get there I was impressed to go down the main street and see all the banners etc. But I was hot, tired, and exhausted as I pulled into the rotunda and was greeted by an old timer, probably younger than I am now, with a sign asking for the parking fee for visitors. As I dejectedly took my wallet out, he saw my ATA Life member card. He questioned "Aren't you a life member?" to which I replied "Yes Sir" at which point his face lit up in a big grin and he said "Welcome home Son" and reached in to shake my hand. Boy, I sure wish I could see him once more to tell him how great he made me feel. Memories sure are great. "Thank you Sir" where-ever you are.

6. DONNE

DONNE Member

Years ago at Vandalia , a friend of ours broke a 98 in the then presidents handicap. We congratulated him and told him we were off to dinner , but would be back to watch him shootoff. Well , we get back at dusk and head to the grandstands. We ran into him heading back to the locker room carrying his gun , shellbag , and a 6 pack of beer ! He didn't drink. We asked him "whats up ?" He was very pi$$ed. "I broke my best score ever from the 27 and didn't even get in a shoot-off"! Said he was going to put his gun away and drink that beer.

Another time at Vandalia , one of our gang was shooting off late into the night. He finally got put out. After a visit to the locker room , we started the long treck to my car parked at the extreme west end . The wagons had long been put up. This golf cart comes flying up behind us and has 2 cops in it . They questioned us , wanted to know what we were doing. We said walking back to our car . They said oh yeah, lets just go see. Sure enough , there was my car setting all by itself at the west end . I unlocked it and told them thanks for the lift ! Lots and lots of memories ................

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My very first Grand some 30+ years ago.

I think I was in C class singles and I had shot a 197 and was in a shootoff for 2nd or 3rd, or maybe even 4th. I don't recall how far down you got a trophy.

First, I knew I had tied and should be in a shootoff, but they never called my name. So I went up and told them my score and they said they would check and in the meantime, go get my gun and some shells.

Oops, those items were in Carl Shick's truck in the camping area, and locked up and I didn't know where Carl was.

I finally found Carl and told him what I needed. Told him to go get my gun and some shells and I'd try to stall them till he got back.

Carl took off at a dead run as it was a long ways, I didn't hold out much hope that he'd make it back in time. But lo and behold, he made it.

He brought my gun and I had purchased shells at the shell house, but.....he hadn't brought my shooting vest.

So here I'm going out to a shootoff, never ever having shot white targets in my life or even under the lights, and I have no place to put the shells. So I start stuffing them in my pockets all the time laughing, as I know I'm going to lose this shootoff............Which I did.

It wasn't so funny to me at the time, but it is now.

Hauxfan!

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

one year my friend luther and i go to the grand in ohio. we meet up with a mutual friend hugh brown who use to sell the magic dot for your glasses. so one day luther and i are sitting with hugh, watching him ask the sick, the lame, and the lazy if they were a one or two eyed shooter? then he would attempt to sell him a package of magic dots. now hugh who has since passed away, had a very bad, quick temper, and it didn't take much for him to go off on luther and myself or customers. so after 5 hours of watching him work, a 16 year old kid is walking by, and hugh said are you a one or 2 eyed shooter? the kid says that he has double vision and always sees 2 targets when shooting singles and handicap. hugh looks at luther and me, thinking that we put this kid up to saying this. we never saw the kid before. so hugh gets aggitated and says do you shoot doubles? kid said yes. hugh says how many fricken targets do you see when shooting doubles? the kid said 4. hugh goes bezerk starts yelling at the kid , as well as luther and I, he thinks this is a joke. hugh has the kid in tears, the kid is telling hugh, i am sorry mister, but that is what i see. hugh says how do you know what targets to shoot at? kid says i shoot at the 2 middle targets. the kid is crying, hugh looks at us and again asked if this a joke. we swear to hugh it wasn't. hugh appoloized to the kid, set him up with magic dots and didn't charge him. that night i ask hugh what hotel are you staying at? he said when fagen the wood guy ends working at night, i slip into his work tent and sleep on a cot. we asked if we could stay with him. after the shoot offs, we are in the tent, hugh walks in in his underwear, and is wearing a black mask something that looked like a darth vader. we found out he has sleep apnea, we started laughing so hard, hugh kicked us out of the tent and would not let us back in. the day we are leaving, luther and i tell a kid to walk past hugh, when he ask you if you are a one or 2 eyed shooter, tell him neither, you have triple vision. we gave the kid $10.00. you could have heard hugh yelling at luther and I that he would someday get us back for this.
    steve balistreri

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Steve,
    That was priceless!!

Please, Please, get your book published.

Thanks,
    Don Verna

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I probably shouldnt tell this one but here goes:

It was sometime in the late seventies I was leaving the home grounds. I always parked across the street to avoid confusion or a torrential rain turned to mud.

I passed thru the parking lot which by that time,(late Sat.) was sparcely parked with cars.

I passed by one that had a flurry of activity inside. I glanced in and this guy was getting it on with one of the chick pullers.

He was impervious to anything else going on.

I recognised him as well as the chick who worked at one of the clubs I shot at. I chuckled all the way to the car, thinking he shot the best score.

Everytime I saw her working at the club I had to smile.

Many of you would know the shooter (no pun intended) but im keeping it a secret.

Regards....Gerald

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

While not a vintage story, below is a repost of a true story I told from last year when Recurvy won her first Grand trophy following a shootoff. It was in response to a congratulatory thread.

Guy Babin

------------------------------------
    Aug 2008

Congratulations Miss Devi, good shootin'!

A related side story...

When I drove up to her camper after my squad shot that fateful day, I noticed a very excited and animated individual within gesturing wildly to gain my audience.

Upon entry I found our friend ricocheting off the walls of her wheeled abode reporting that she was indeed on the leader's list and in the final phases of her preps to shoot the socks off of any hapless interloper who may stand in her way to win a Grand trophy for her dear Peasantman's birthday which fatefully occupied the very same day.

As I broke all posted speed limits trying in vain to keep up with our lead-footed winner to be as she sped on her way to the shootoff annex, I wondered if her zeal might interfere with her stated intentions. I also wondered how that poor blue-haired elderly woman who happened to step in front of our frantic but singularly determined Archer, managed to avoid certain death.

Luck would have it that following the initial hazardous whirlwind precursor to her arrival; Leo and Foster were locked horn to horn in the grips of their now legendary championship marathon. Thankfully (to Devi's chagrin) the proprietary membership of the tournament management exercised sound judgment and delayed Miss Devi's assault on her poor contenders by parking her hyper buttocks on a bench on vendor's row until the Championship had been resolved.

Quietly defiant, she placed her trusty P-gun in one of those new-fangled green metal shade bench gun rack contraptions directly across the grass median not 30 feet from her perch. Upon her return to the group-W bench she looked pensively at her trusted Peasantman and asked, "Honey, is my gun safe over there?" Martin in his deliberate and soothing Kansas manner drawled, "Oh yea baby, it's fine my sweet."

Approximately an hour and a half later with the reports of the champions guns still filling the air, the Curvy one suddenly stirred from her until now silent trance and announced; "MY GUN IS GONE!" Martin and I glanced at each other and he immediately started tracking the perpetrator like a Walker hound tracking a coon. Not desiring to become subjected to the ensuing panic attack, I too went off on a separate quest to either produce her trusty clay buster, or never return.

Of course Leo and Foster continued obliviously to smoke targets in spite of the excitement and the involvement of the local law enforcement authorities. As Martin's luck would have it, Miss Devi found out on her own while we men-folk searched in vain, that some "helpful", but unidentified shooter had snatched the prized firearm from its perch and turned it into the shoot management with a story that the young lady who owned it had left the premises and must have forgotten it.

I must say that I find his statement absolutely hilarious and evidence that who ever it was doesn't know our Devi from Adam (or Eve). First, the Curvy one I know would have to be abducted by kidnapping martians before she would squander her shootoff opportunity to win the Pheasantmaster a birthday trophy by leaving the complex on that evening; and secondly, she'd surely never abandon her trusty TM-1 P-girl. Once recovered safely and unscathed, the firearm in question never left her white-knuckled grip.

Although it wasn't openly stated, the silent consensus was that Mr. Wilbur should abandon any idea of venturing into the private investigator arena and continue his concentration on molesting peasants.

Devi stepped up there with confidence and blew her contender's doors off. Well done my friend, I am very proud of you.

L, Guy

12. old tex

old tex TS Member

I'm disappointed that Charlie didn't mention the year he shot with a group of Texas Rannahans including squad leader Monk Palmer.
    Monk makes Festus from Gunsmoke sound like a New York cabbie and the hillbilly from Kentucky sound like a Harvard professor - great fun and Charlie fit right in!!!
    unc

13. Charlie Becknell

Dick,

How ironic. I was speaking of one of my fond Grand memories today and I mentioned Monk's name. I believe Monk had told someone he was a school teacher instead of an "oilman". If you folks have never had a chance to shoot with the Dick, Monk, Virgil and his bride (LaDena), you have missed a good time. Virgil beat my pants off.

It is hard to keep up with the Texas Crew but in KY I get to shoot against direct descendants of Daniel Boone every week.

Charlie

14. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Steve,
    Get your book published...you got a laugh a minute! Priceless! puablo

15. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

My first trip to the Grand 1975 !!
    Could not get off 75 exit. There was a Shriners parade, 40 horse team. we circled vandalia and ended up in Fulmer parking lot watching parade.
    First and only time I ever watched a parade with spectators carrying shotguns.

Joe Woods/Ontario

16. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Grand 2007, I was on post 1, the gentleman on post 5 shot, missed and the young scorekeep said nothing, I called for my target which was a hard left, as I was swinging to the target, the youngman called out "Lost", had to stop and the whole squad got a big laugh out of it. Heard of slow pulls but the first and only time I heard of a slow score..

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I don't know if it is funny or not but this happened to me one year. I started staying at the Hampton Inn in Inglewood just west of the grounds. It was a reality new place and it basically got took over by trapshooters. It became an extension of the Grand. When you told them you were there for the shoot, they would ask that you please not use their good towels and linens to clean your gun at the end of the day. They said they had plenty of old towels and they would gladly provide them to use for gun cleaning. So when you would come in the lobby at night you would see guys cleaning their guns right in the lobby. Guys would just walk down to the lobby to get towels and would sit and clean their guns. Nobody had them cased.

One morning I got up and decided to go down and clean my gun because I had spent too much time "socializing" the night before to do it the previous night. I got my assembled gun and went to the elevator and pushed the down button. The door opened and a couple with their teenage daughter were in the elevator. They saw me standing there with a shotgun in my hands and they absolutely freaked!!! Scared the c*** out of them and me, I calmed em down and told em there was a big trapshoot going on in town. First they heard of it. I guess they checked in with no shooters in the lobby.

Funny things about guns they will scare the hell out of some people and make other people feel safe. Later that day I was squaded for handicap on the far east side, so I arrived way early for my squad, and had a long wait. I was sitting on a bench next to a very attractive woman, after a while we started talking. She told me she had never felt so safe in her life. I asked why and she looked at me in disbelief. Why?? Who in the hell would start anything with all these guns around. Nobody would dare mess with anybody here because a thousand guns would come down on them.

18. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

This happened many years ago when I was a single man and before I had even met the girl who has now been my wife for 32 years.
    I had managed to get some vacation time from work and was going to attend the Grand for a few days. I had painstakingly made sure all my equipment was is perfect working order and was doing everything I could to prepare myself mentally for the events I was going to shoot. I forget the name of the event, but it was a 200 bird singles event. I arrived at my starting trap well before I was to shoot to study the trap and further prepare myself mentally. I was about two squads away from starting and was completely "geeked up" to start shooting.. I was oblivious to everything and everybody else. I was in "the zone"!!!! I was going to win!!!
    Just then, a soft, sweet voice asked, apparently to me, "Is your squad up soon?" I turned to see who was talking to me and saw a girl, who I swear, just stepped out of the pages of Playboy magazine. Very pretty, very well built and her clothes just barely covered the "essentials." My mind went blank, my mouth went dry, my eyes would not blink and I could no longer draw breath. As you can imagine, my mental game was gone. My score showed it. It turns out her squad started just before mine. I got to see her again before the start of the second 100 but my mind was no longer thinking about trapshooting. I was thinking about asking her if she would like to have a beer in the beer tent at the end of the event. Never saw her again.

19. Charlie Becknell

Tarhawk, have you seen "A Beautiful Mind" starring Russell Crowe?

Charlie

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't even know what Grand it was but..............we were squad very early and it was foggy. So foggy you couldn't even see the box. We waited for an hour and the fog started to lift. You could see the box but the targets could only be seen for about the first couple of feet. We were told to begin.

It was miserable. You'd shoot but the target just disappeared in the mist. Eventually the fog lifted enough that you had a chance and things improved. Unfortunately, smoke started to rise from the trap house. We stopped, again, and had the trap help find a mechanic. Sure enough the motor had burned up. It took about a half hour for the mechanic to change it out only to find out that it was bad too. Fifteen minutes later a brand new motor showed up and we were on our way again.

Just then, the flag from the trap house was raised and the boy popped his head out and said he had to pee. We let him. Seemed cruel not to. By then we had squad members starting to chuckle and break down laughing. The trap setter came back, eventually, with a hot dog and some hot chocolate. We laughed some more. OK. Finally all the tumblers clicked in to place, the sun started to shine, the trap setter was relieved and fed. Nothing else could go wrong, right?

Wrong. It was just then that the Goodyear Blimp Columbia decided to land at the Dayton Airport, right in front of us. You can always tell the Goodyear Blimps. They are the ones with the big red dot painted on their noses. We couldn't shoot, we were laughing too hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.