1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite Trail Cam

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chuckie68, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I'm considering a new trail cam. Would like to hear some pros and cons of your favorite cams. I live in Michigan and this will be used during the November hunting season. Thanks for your input.

Chuck

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

You cant go wrong with reconyx.They are made in the USA and they back their product.They have an access code that you can program into it so if it is stolen it's useless to the thief!I caught a Game Warden stealing mine!!PJ

3. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

Trophy's seem to be the biggest bang for the bucks. I love mine. But I like my Moultrie's too. No where near as good though.
    Reconyx is the best - but you'll know it when you pay for it.

4. arend003

arend003 Member

I have two Moultrees one works the other doesn't. Contacted Moultree and they essentially said buy a new one!!!!! Think if I need a second one I will look for a different brand.
    Tom

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Cuddebach is one of the best. It has the fastest response time that I have seen in any reasonably price units. The Moultries I have are not near as good and warranty is not as good, they will offer a discount on purchasing a new camera instead of repair or at least that is what they did with me. I have three new Wildgame Innovtions model WX6AC that I am still testing. Battery life is really good, over 2000 daytime pictures on a set of batteries. Mixture of night pictures drop it down to 1200. Response time is not quite as fast as the cudde's but so far so good as they are close. Jackie B.

6. FIB

FIB Member

I own 2 Cuddeback Capture IR's and 1 Moultrie D40. The Cuddeback's take better pictures and use infa red but at the time I bought them they were $ 250.00 each (I think). I bought the Moultrie D40 on sale for $ 50 or 60 dollars. The Moultie uses a standard white flash and the pictures aren't as good as the Cuddelback's but I could have bought 4 or 5 for the price. Recently I heard that many people are having problems with their Cuddebacks and that their CS stinks. Reconyx I have been told/heard is the best but they are expensive. I've heard many postivie reviews of the Bushnell Trophy cam. PM me if you have any more questions.

7. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Does anyone have any opinions about the Primos Truth Cam 46? A friend has three and likes them, except 2 have the audible clunk from the filter and 1 does not. My selection is going to be based on what everyone here, and my personal friends say about the various brands. I would like to stay below the $200 range.

Chuck

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Look on ebay for used reconyx cams! You wont see many but you can save money.One way to judge the quality is look on ebay for all the cams that have been mentioned on this post and you will see that alot of those are being resold and you wont see as many reconyx being resold unless the owner is upgrading to the newer models.Bottom line is you get what you pay for.Good luck. PJ

9. schneep

schneep Member

Moultrie M-80

Smaller size, very good pics
    Infra red night time pics

Extremely long battery life

$ 149.00 or less on sale

10. tachyon

tachyon Member

Some Cuddeback pictures.

Make sure that you face the camera away from the sun (i.e. point it to the north).

[​IMG]

11. tachyon

tachyon Member

a few more cuddeback pictures

The first cuddeback I had had a lot of trouble with batteries. The new one is great. Not terrible to setup and batteries lasted a couple of weeks even in the winter. Dates and times are not accurate as I did not set it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What made the turkey and deer interested in your camera?

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ordered a MOultrie M80 game spy.

14. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Hands down it's Buckeye Cam. No comparison to any other camera on the market. PC based systems send photos from mthe tree to your computer. Setup with solar panels, there's no need to go to the woods.

[​IMG]

15. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Check out the new ones from Browning. State of the Art....latest and greatest.

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Thanks for all the input. I am still looking and have the opportunity to test a few different models. I'll come back with my decision later. All this info has been helpful.

Chuck

17. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Yes, Buckeye Cam is very expensive, but they are the best. I've got 4 of them with total investment of over $7000, including special antennas and solar panels.

I take my deer hunting seriously and spare no cost to keep my scent out of the woods until I actually have to. It's worth it to me.

18. bgf

bgf Active Member

I just bought a Bushnell and am very pleased...

Bernie

19. markc2

markc2 Member

Buy the Truth 46. Make sure you get the newer ones, they have a better battery technology. Hands down the best camera for the money, and I have owned most of them. Markc2

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

up for reference

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.