1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite skinning knife?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Chance McCall, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Chance McCall

Chance McCall Active Member

We all use different skinning knives for different animals. What do you use and for what? Pictures would be nice.

Rabbit:Squirrel Knife.jpeg

I love the switchblade version of this for rabbits and squirrels.

Deer Knife.jpg

This is my whitetail deer knife. Vintage Kershaw Also used on black bear and mountain lion. I also skinned two elk with it - not a whole lot of fun - needed a different knife.

2. samsonite

samsonite Member

Had a guy make this for me. Small and easy to skin just about anything.

[​IMG]

Chance McCall thanked this.
  3. Yoda117

Yoda117 Active Member

I usually make my own, but I've been enjoying some of the stuff coming out from deer wrangler (though I strongly recommend examining the edge; got a wonky one from him a while back).

4. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

Cutco knife fixed blade and a USA made Gerber Folding knife.
    Plus my Titaimun spork.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

The one the bastard stole from me about 2 months ago, along with my cartridge belt and all the sharpening tools in my hunting box :(

Firewater thanked this.
  6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I like Gerber's drop point knife with a 4 inch blade for deer and sheep. I tried their curved blade "skinning" knife and prefer the drop point.

When I used to mount birds I liked Cases 3 blade pen knife. Memory fails me as to which blade used; either the smallest or the one with the rounded point.

Jason

7. buckmark13

buckmark13 Member

Like Waverider, I use a 4" Drop Point almost exclusively for field work and skinning. I then switch to a 6" filet for boning the meat out and butchering.

8. Lee Fischer

Lee Fischer Member

IMG_0581.JPG I like a beaver skinning knife the rounded tip works great I mainly skin deer with it and a few other critters.

Firewater thanked this.
  9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I always wondered how they skinned those beavers...

I am a big fan of blades made of tool steel/carbon steel - they will rust, are harder to sharpen, but once sharp nothing can beat them. Of late I have been using knives by Battle Horse Knives out of Ohio (Welcome to Battle Horse Knives - Built For Warriors).

That being said, for general skinning I have been using an old Lakota Fin Wing (I'll post a photo when I dig it out).

finwing.JPG

This is an old, worn out one. Need to get a picture of the new one.

These are really nice in that they 'stand up' if you place them flat surface down (great for skinning).

Attached Files:

10. Merlyn

Merlyn Well-Known Member

1953 vintage K-bar. Split the (deer) pelvis, too. sharp as a razor and it stays that way. Worked up lots of them with it. ......merlyn

11. tcolson

tcolson TS Member

This is my favorite along with my kids, it is nice with the tee handle you do not have to lay it down or put it in a sheath to use your hands to pull on the hide, you can just flip it back in your hand and grab. Holds a good edge as well. 4b51b285-74e2-4c1d-819b-520b036ac831.jpg

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have one of those too, but have a hell've time keeping a good edge on it after sharpening. The spine is plenty thick.

Maybe I'm too picky?

13. Shane317

Shane317 Member

I use a Havalon Piranta- they have exchangeable blades. Can get thru the whole deer skinning/boning on one blade. Change blade for the next one.

Shootin'coach thanked this.
  14. Chance McCall

Chance McCall Active Member

A MD buddy of mine swears by these for making gutting whitetails easier. You don't want to know what they actually made for.:bh01:

Giertz Rib Shear.jpg

15. 2skeet

2skeet Active Member

I came across a brand that I've used and truly like. Cold Steel, they are a very reasonable priced knife that are extremely well made and will hold a razor edge a long time. The three I usually buy are the Pennington, Belly Roach, and the other I thing is called the lite hunter. Dog gone things are pretty well put together with a plastic no-slip handle. We use them when we skin our deer out. Most times after two deer they just need to be touched up with a steel. The price is the best part the three knives I mentioned usually sell for around $10.00 $15.00. At that price if I don't want to sharpen a knife I call pull a new out and be ready. Also make great Christmas gifts. I think MIDWAY is having a sell on them right now with free shipping.

16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

2skeet,

I've tried the cold steel knives too.

Not sure if I got a funky one, but I found that yes, they hold a great edge - until they've been sharpened many times - then their ability to stay sharp plummets. I THINK this is due to 'edge heat treatment' only - as is done with hack saw blades. The edge of the blade is heat treated electrically, not the entire blade (keeps it flexible, and this is an easy process to apply). This makes for a good sharpening surface, but once you work past the treated portion the edge is just a piece of stainless steel - too soft to hold an edge.

17. samsonite

samsonite Member

Never heard that about a Cold Steel. I have been looking at getting one of their bowie style knives. I'll have to rethink that, thanks for the info.

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

samsonite,

I have two of them - and a friend a third - all the same, all with the same issue. It looks like they were 'edge hardened' and once you work past that the life tails off quickly. Could just be that model - they weren't expensive, and you do get what you pay for...

I would point you to Battle Horse Knives or Knives of Alaska - both made from tool steel

19. samsonite

samsonite Member

Thank you. I love Battle Horse Knives. I posted a picture of one of mine that I carry almost exclusively in the Recommendations for a small game / upland knife? thread. This one one of the last knives leftover from when the company split a couple years ago, and has the stamp.

This is probably of my favorites though, but I gave it to my nephew for Christmas last year and they don't have them on their website anymore!
    [​IMG]

20. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Search tags for this page

kershaw vintage knife