1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite handicap load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jason Hassler, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

What is your favorite handicap load, from what yardage and it's characteristics?

2. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

This information is from that long-ago time when I could [sorta] still shoot handicap targets effectively. It applies to all handicap yardages.

The 2 3/4 x 1 1/8 x 7 1/2 load has always been a "sleeper" handicap load that has not received proper appreciation. If there is such a thing, the load is "well balanced", it patterns well, and it is as easy on the shooter as any 1 1/8-ounce load can be. All premium factory shells in this load have performed well for me. My absolute favorite load in this ballistic range has been the old "Don Zutz Wonder Load" [Remington Premier hull (or equivalent), Remington 209P primer, 19 to 19 1/2 grains of Green Dot powder, Remington FIG-8 wad, and 1 1/8-ounce of "hard" 7 1/2 shot.]

I suspect that this load has suffered because it does not have a "3" at the front of it. Such prejudice most likely is not warranted. For example, a few years ago, a friend of mine ran out of shells at a pre-Christmas turkey shoot. He bought what he THOUGHT were Federal paper 3 x 1 1/8 x 7 1/2 loads. He cleaned up using those shells, including the ultra-long-range "Annie Oakley" events. He raved about how well these shells performed and how "fast" they were. It was only after the shoot that he took a look at his shell boxes: 2 3/4 x 1 1/8 x 7 1/2. And all of this took place during a day that was colder than a banker's heart!

3. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Perhaps Harlan and Leo and others should back off of their top loads.

4. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

That would be up to them. I suspect that these "Incredibles" would do at least as well with these loads as they do with their current ammo.

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

FWIW not all factory loads are what they appear to be. Special loadings occur for the right people.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

2birds, you mean Leo and Harlan are actually shooting 1 oz 1150's in those Nitro 27 hulls and just funnin' us?

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I use 1 1/18 oz of hard 7 1/2's in a WW case with a WW 209 primer with a charge of Hodgden International Clays at about 1235 fps. Works for me.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The load in Hodgdon's data tables with Titegroup that matches the the Nitro 27 factory shell.

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I know a certain person that was allotted certain loadings marked different than what they appeared to be. It came custom loaded in regular shell boxes from a certain manufacturer for a specific person. It was a pallet shrink wrapped with his name on it. It only stands to reason if they did it for one they would do it for others. I know nothing about Leo or Harlan.

10. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

TwinBirds, no offense, but whoever told you that there are special loads for champions is full of 'you-know-what'. They might get free ammunition since they are the spokesman for the product, but they receive the same shotshells that we can buy. If these so-called special loads existed, we would have heard about it in publications as Trap & Field and others. It just ain't so. Certainly a conversation starter, but still an untruth. Ask that person who told you about these loads to produce names and some of the shotshells for evidence. Believe me, his answer would be, at best, hearsay....

My favorite and proven to me handicap load is:

- Federal Gold Medal Paper hulls

- Federal 12S3 wads (no clones)

- Federal 209A primers

- 23.0 grains of Green Dot (HDCP powder weight)

- 1 1/8 oz of hard magnum Eagle 7 1/2 shot (Lawrence is okay, as well)

This load shoots soft in a heavy SBT shotgun. It seems to hit well and throws a good pattern for me through a .42 choke, or XFULL if you please...

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Twin Birds,

I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the tip top shooters had the factory load up some custom shells. Heck, they might even do that for anyone if you order enough. That said, I would bet money that the top dogs shoot the same old shells the rest of us do. I saw with my own two eyes, the biggest of the top dogs buy a a couple of flats of Federals off the shelf at the Southern Grand this year.

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

No offense but don't read into a post what isn't there. Facts are a person, I knew had specially tailored ammo direct from a major ammo suppier that wasn't loaded like they were marked. I never mentioned anything about champions or such. It is not BS I saw the pallet myself. Now why out of a whole semiload of shells was this pallet marked separately with a cardboard placard in black marker shrink wrapped into the pallet,with the name of the individual on it? Was it loaded differently? I have no knowledge other than what I was told. If Joe Blow was to get a pallet of shells what difference would it make which pallet he got? Just because you see someone kicking out a premium handicap shell doesn't mean that was what was in it. What better way to get others to buy a premium shell than to have a bunch of 'em kicked out on the ground by a talented shooter? I don't care if you beleive or not, I'm not bucking for an office or a popularity contest.

13. shrek

shrek Active Member

federal gold medal 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot, factory loads at 1200 fps, or a reload with downrange 12S3 clone wad to same speed and payload as factory.

Another one I like as much is an old school Win AA hull, winchester primer downrange xl-118 or DRV wad with the correct amount of PB or universal clays to give a 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot 1200 fps velocity.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Top Gun Hull 19.5 grains Promo w/Windjammer Wad 1 1/8th oz 7 1/2s Rio Primer 1200 fps for handicap and singles.

Shoot one time and pitch them.

Remington STS ot NITRO w/19.5 Promo, WT-12 wad,Rio Primer, 1 1/8th Oz 7 1/2s
    1200 fps reload as many times as I can. For Handicap Competetions.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Smokechaser,

Why no clones?

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

17. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

My best scores in handicap have been with 1oz loads, mostly Estates but some STS's

So I will stick with my lighter then 1oz reloads for the for a while longer.

Those work so well form 16 i am not ready to confuse the issue!

Al

18. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

1 1/4 # 6 at 1250 fps. Works nice at all yardages. 1oldtimer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
drv 12 wads for long range
favorite handicap trap load
what is your favorite trap load

your favorite trap load