1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite 22 hornet load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldEx, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I need to put together some loads for a couple Ruger 77/22 hornets. I have a bunch of suitable powders. 4227, 2400, AA1680, IMR 4198, H110, WW296 to name a few. Every primer manufacturer imagineable and several suitable 22 cal bullets weighing 33 Grains up to 55 grains.

Jeff

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What is your barrel length and twist? I have a couple of friends that load a lot of .22 Hornet. I know one uses 296, the other uses Lil' Gun. I can ask them tomorrow.

Wayne

3. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

Jeff

I have spent a number of years looking for a good load for the .22 Hornet. I shoot a CZ, it likes the following load: 35 grain Hornady V-Max over 12.7 grains of Lit'Gun with a SMALL PISTOL primer. The key to this load has been using a small pistol primer rather than a small rifle primer. In my rifle this gives me 2895 fps. I get under 1 inch at a 100 yards.

All this being said your Ruger may reject this load as each rifle has a mind of it's own. I also would recommend working up to this load in small amounts. Very small increases in powder charge pushes pressure up in a hurry in such a small case. I have found the Hornet to be a challenge when it comes to accuracy. Better rifle men than me may finding a solution less challenging.

Good luck. The quest is half the fun!!

Ron

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gave up on the hornet and re-barrelled my rifle to .19Calhoon. Total cost of conversion is less than $500 (new Pac-Nor barrel, Foster/Bonanza dies, 250 .19cal bullets, etc.) and the difference in performance is like night and day. Added benefit is that you can use your old hornet brass to make .19 Calhoons using the FB dies. Chichay

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Barrel length is 20" on both rifles. Not sure of the twist rate.

Jeff

6. trw

trw Member

Jeff,

Just put a tight patch in the bbl and mark the rod with a permanent marker 'dot' on it's top in a visible location, set a yard stick nearby and see how far it travels until it has turned one revolution. That's your actual twist. Doit in both bbl's as they could be dif., depends on the 'button' used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.