1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your club doing to get more/new shooters?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigdogtx, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Looks like trap is not the only shooting sport trying to get new members,,,,so what have you been doing and most importantly,,,,is it working????

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

nothing at all!

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Be friendly, be nice and welcome any shooter that come in if they are rich or poor.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I must belong to the same club as Bill Grill. We aren't doing nothing as far as I know.

5. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Auctioneer has it spot on. Give the customers a reason to come back. At my Club, as Trap Chairman, I give new members two free rounds of Trap, and also give coupons to existing members to give to non-member friends who have never shot Trap before. We see many new shooters, and many of them become repeat customers.

LA in MA

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As a club in cooperation with a public range run by a municipal government, our only source of revenue is membership dues...

The Club constantly promotes the range operation, distributes a brochure, keeps a website, hosts 5-6 shotgun instructional classes in the parks department program guide, offers registered shooting and hosts a public "open house" to the community.

The Club also plays host to the public "open" shooting, runs three seasonal leagues accessible to the public and constantly encourages existing members to invite and mentor new shooters.

We DO NOT offer "junior" shooting rates, give away rounds, lend or rent firearms...

We shout about our operation from every roof top and that in turn has given us a pool of new shooters (prospective new members) from which we have cultivated a small but steady stream of new probationary members...

Rounds are up about 5% YTD. Membership is up and I am holding a few new probationary member applications in my briefcase for October...

respectfully offered,

Jay

7. 34model12

34model12 Member

About three years ago a member suggested we try to put togather a table at the local gun show. He put a large 3' x 4' aerial photograph of our gun club on an easel, placed two fancy high dollar shotguns on the table & a stack of brochures about our gun club on the table. With two to four of the members standing around to answer questions it's always a big hit!! We always have a open house at the gun club the following weekend with ten practice rounds on the house with safety instructions & coaching to get them started. Our membership is up 30% to 40% for the past few years. Not all the new people stay with trap shooting but over the long run 20% of each group stays with the gun club year after year. Tom Boyd at Albany Gun Club, Albany Oregon.

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

went from being open four days a week to three, but made up for it by installing token boxes on the fields and a cardiac defibrillator in the club house. good luck with it

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

After running our club for 9 years and turning it from a "good ol" boys club into a club where everybody is welcome. It pains me greatly 5 years later to see where our club is. Oh yes when I was forced out they has a "better" plan. I told a few people at the time what I thought was going to be the outcome. Well we are back to maybe a worse "good ol boys" club and when they came to me about a month ago about membership declines and shooting declines I actually heard our club president say " I don't care if no one shows up too shoot" I told him to watch what he wishes for and walked away........

GS

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

At one of the two clubs that I go to the SKEET SHOOTERS had a new guy come up who wanted to shoot skeet and they the skeet shooters did the elevator eyes on him and noticed he was shooting a Mossburg shotgun. They gave him the cold shoulder and then their mouths started and he left. I found this out after the fact. I spoke to a couple of them about it and they said they didn't want his kind on their field. THEIR FIELD. I did say something to them and wasn't nice when I did. They don't speak to me much any more. I don't care if a person is shooting an H+R shtgun. He is a shooter and he's welcome to shoot.

At the other club that I go to people were coming in from the area of the first gun club and were joining the second gun club. Don't want to give out names. After the meeting I talked to them and asked why are you joining this club and not the other club that is closer to you? They all have said the same thing. They didn't like the way they were treated at the other club when they looked over the place. Who was that I asked? The SKEET SHOOTERS. They had a arrogant attituid. I just smiled and said welcome to the club and told them when we trapshooters shoot and that he or they were more then welcome to come out.

I know alot of people in the first club in all shooting events. The rifle and pistol people even came up to me and asked why do the SKEET SHOOTERS have such a bad attituid? All I could say was your guess is as good as anyones.

11. RAScott

RAScott Member

we started shooting ATA marithons and big 50'S this past year, that has helped get members to join ATA and show more interests. We have people from other clubs call and come to the big 50's. We host a nite leauge under the lights for members and other club members. we/ I am trying to encourage new shooters to come give it a try.

Bob S

12. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

This is a good thread. All shooting sports need members.

I recently joined a club here in Michigan and it took me quite a while to become a member as they manage the membership and keep it to a certain level. So I am not an expert on it but they offer Trap, Skeet, Five stand, Archery, Rifle and pistol.

A line of trap or skeet is $3.00 for members and $4.00 for quest who must be accompanied by a member. You are responsible for the guest. Both their conduct and the treatment they receive. Yearly dues are $150.00.

There is an excellent bar and there is food. There is also lots of membership involvement and committees. Participation is required and it shows in the incredible quality of this club. Everything is first cabin and there are no employee's. The club is very solvent and donates to alot of charities. There training for young shooters every week, hunter safty courses, CPL courses, NRA events. This is a very well run club and there is always a waiting list to join.

They host the state club shoot a 3 day affair, the local MI Cop shoot which is a fund raiser for widow's and orphans of fallen police officers and the list goes on. Lots of shooting events. No debt and cash reserves.

I guess the bottom line is there is lots of reasons a club is successful. The main one I see is you want to be there. You work to be there to be a part of it. It is something desirable so you strive to be part of it. It is not a rich guys club but there are some. Most are regular people. I will tell you what if I was managing another club I would go to this one and talk with the elected board and members and copy them. The wheel exist don't re-invent it.

Sorry for the long wind but it is really a great club and I haven't mentioned hardly anything that they do. My wife and I went there Saturday and Sunday for the entire day both days. Never left. I'm talking 8am to 9 or 10pm and others stay much later dancing and having a party. Camping out geez it's really something.

One last point and I promise I'm done. We are new so we volunteer and we worked in the kitchen. We worked hard. We also shot trap and skeet. When you work your drinks are free and your food is free. We spent an entire weekend at our club shooting, ate like kings and had a reasonable amount of adult beverages in exchange for helping.

Best,

Mike Sudz

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Our club went from 18 members to 77 in one season. I as President and the Sec Treas do all or most all of the work. We strive to be nice to everyone and everyone is welcome. We have even paid the dues of a person who is out of work so they could shoot some. We make good money and give a lot of it back to the members with free food events, $2 shoots for members, Oyster feeds, and many times give out more meat prizes than actually won. As long as we have money to buy targets and upgrade things now and then, we give the rest back to the shooters. We started a web site and regular emails with fliers attached which has really helped us. we also started a youth shooting program funded almost entirely by the club. We are very fortunate in that we own the ground ( 40 acres and everything is paid for) We also have an income every month from a Cell tower on our property. I guess to sum it up we treat people good and market the club and it seems to be working. We also have some awesome meat prizes. The club Sec Treas has a butcher shop and he puts together some fantastic meat for prizes. We are very forunate to be able to give back to our members as we are a small self sufficient club. I see a new person and some new youth shooters at almost every shoot now. That is a real good feeling

14. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

Unfortunately in my area, the local clubs don't seem to be doing very much to attract new shooters however I don't think any of them are doing very well. It is just sad to see so many clubs that are struggling.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We continually try to improve on what we have. This means that we put profits back into the ground, we provide the best meals that we can and we keep the facility clean. The goal is to make the club the kind of place a person would want to bring their family or at least the kind of club a person would be proud to be a member of. Sound a little corny? Well maybe so but today more than ever the focus has to be on the customer and the fact that you are in competition for their ever srinking recreational dollar. And yes what ever we are diong is working even in today's economy.

Now the real trick to do this kind of stuff is getting a solid core group of volunteers that not only can work together but can do so season after season. Easier said than done because the pay for this kind of service is measured in the satisfaction of doing not in dollars.

16. RAScott

RAScott Member

We have a junior trap program, as well a a junior archery program. The club helps defur the cost for the trap.As well as the Archery. I believe teh youth is the future to this sport. Helps with the future of voting for anti gun laws.
    Bob S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.