1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is Your All-Purpose/ hunting Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just curious what everybody else uses as a hunting/ foul weather all purpose use shotgun. I use a 12ga standard Invector Browning BPS Stalker model 28" synthetic with the matte blue finish for nasty weather trap shooting and any hunting...I also have a cantilever mount fully rifled barrel with a 2x scope for deer ...it is well broken in and the action is slick as glass..and it still looks fairly new...it really works well at everything and if I could have only one to do everything with..this would probably be the one...so what do you all use?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've got an old slick barreled, modified choked, 870. I've thumped more bunnies and birds with that dude than you can shake a stick at. The bluing is starting to get thin and the wood has a few scratches, but I wouldn't dream of restoring it.

ss

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Late 60's model Remington 870 Wingmaster with fixed full barrel.

Matt

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Its hard to go all purpose---I like a light gun(6 lb) for upland(Franchi 48/AL) and a Winchester SX3 for geese,ducks and deer---Don't want a heavy gun for upland---JMO---George

5. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I just bought that new Beretta A400 Xplor. The 10 gauge BPS was sold two weeks ago and the other 12's are on their way out too. The gun is synthetic even though it looks like wood. Very light, no kick and will cycle trap loads and 3 1/2 goose loads back to back (I actually did this, I had to). It has the standard breakdown case so it will fit in any trunk and has multiple choke tubes for any kind of hunting. I even shot the winter trap league with it this year. Excellent gun, I highly recommend it.

Courtney

6. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Win 1300 camo 28" with scope mounts and extra slug barrel. Winchokes including extra full turkey, Burris 4X scope.

7. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Beretta 3901 synthetic. Goes bang every time. Not afraid of getting it scratched up. Use a weight kit for doves, ducks, and turkey. No weights for quail and rabbits. They cost half of what the new 391's do and are easier to clean. My $,02

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My reason for using a pump is that alot of my time hunting is in Pa where they are not semi-auto friendly..and if I travel I dont want to be outside the law if there are any similiar places

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

1964 Remington 870 12 gauge Wingmaster 28" modified choke plain barrel. While I was in the Army, my brother kept in a car trunk for 3 years, When I got out in 1969, I flitzed off the rust and refinished the stock.

It has taken a world of doves, rabbits, squirrels, woodcock, quail and a deer, all with the same 28" modified barrel. Over time, I have acquired a 26" IC ribbed barrel, a 20" riot barrel, a 20" smooth bore deer slug barrel with iron sights, and a 30" ribbed fixed full barrel. It is somewhat of a beater but it sure has done the job on many a hunt with me. I also used it for informal trap and skeet.

Ed Ward

10. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Calvin, I second the BPS. Mine has the walnut stock and is like a Timex watch-it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I do have other favorite/all-purpose shotguns-It depends on what I'm doing, but the BPS has seen a lot of hard use. My grandfather had a 16 gauge Browning Sweet Sixteen that he had a Poly-Choke installed on. Talk about an all-purpose gun, it was the only one he ever carried no matter what he was hunting.

11. fcd67

fcd67 Member

A Beretta Teknys.I also have a slug barrel for deer hunting. Sometimes I pull out an old Rem Model 11 I inherited from my wife's great uncle for turkey hunting.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    1187 with camo dip finish (the old style Mossy Oak breakup).

Modified it with a matching monte carlo synthetic stock. The POI is the same as my trap 1187.

Have extra barrels for it, all matching camo dip:

28" vent rib, screw in chokes.

21" vent rib, screw in chokes.

21" rifle sight barrel with screw in choke tubes. Factory Tru-Glo sights.

21" same barrel as above, but I swapped out the Tru-Glo sights for Trijicon Tritium night sights. This is my setup for hunting coyotes at night.

The three 21" barrels above are turkey barrels. They have no gas compensating systems, so light loads will not cycle in them.

This 1187 is my main workhorse shotgun for hunting. Even use it for deer hunting with slugs in dense forest. It's a bit heavy for upland, but works well for just about anything else. Weather conditions don't matter. I've used it in the desert, and in rain and snow. I've even used it for trap and sporting clays, since it pays to practice with your hunting shotgun.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

28" citori circa '88.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It depends on where and what I'm hunting. I have a Express 870, Browning A5, Win 97 and a Beretta 390 that I just got and trying to see if its worth making space in the safe.

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Beretta Silver Pigeon 20/28

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Win. mod.59 with a 26" choked tubed barrel and a B-303 20ga with a 26" mobil choked barrel for lugging around the mountains.

Hap

17. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

Beretta 686L, 28 in. with factory screw in chokes. It works for waterfowl and upland. Larry

18. setool

setool Member

New in 1972, my ol' buddie, 870 wingmaster... I always wish I had shell counter and hour meter on her, Wow, what stories !!!

Mark Schneider

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Rizzini Aurum 20 gauge O/U with 29.5" barrels and choke tubes.

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

28" Ruger Red Label 12 ga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.