1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with Remchokes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'm asking because I haven't seen any of the gunsmiths who thread barrels for trap offer remchoke. Is there somenthing wrong with the design? To me they look to be a good set up mechanicaly but what do I know. There must be a reason nobody threads there barrels for remchokes except regular gunsmiths for hunters.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The tooling is readily available.

As for why, I haven't a clue. There's nothing wrong with Rem Chokes. They're well made. The only issue was a number of years ago when some barrels were machined crooked for chokes, but that had nothing to do with the choke tubes, and the problem has long been corrected.

If I could find a gunsmith who can machine for Rem Chokes, I'd send him my Mossberg 590 barrel. I don't want other choke tubes because I already have a big pile of Rem Chokes.

3. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I regularly cut off bad choke holes and can re-install Remchokes in 12, 20, and 10 ga., as well as installing some other factory tube holes along with my own custom tube installations.

The problem of crooked choke holes has not abated, since I have seen terrible factory and pathetic aftermarket choke holes installed that were a real disappointment to the shooter- and the reason that they contacted me.

When you search "crooked choke tube holes" with SCROOGLE etc. you will find that I have posted more info. about that problem than anybody else, and have been pointing out those and other problems on my website.

I install the chokes straight and fit the tubes much closer to the bore than mass-produced chokes ever fit, and afermarket tubes are mass produced and fit no better than typical factory tubes. Those chokes are bound to pattern better in a straight choke hole than in a randomly crooked hole installed without precision alignment, so there is at least that benefit from having a new straight choke hole installed.

Remember that a shorter barrel with a straight choke has got to be better for shooting than a longer barrel with a crooked choke tube hole. That is why I tell shooters to buy a barrel (if it only comes with tubes) longer than you really want, if possible, so you can have the barrel cut to the length you want and have a straight choke hole installed for satisfying shooting performance.

Kirby

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Kirby, what is your bore diameter spec, wall thickness and any other specs I can measure for Rem Choke installations?

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Before remchokes came out, most other choke tubes were modified, improved mod, and full choke. They did not comform to standard constrictions like other choke tubes. Remchoke constrictions were all over the spectrum. Personally I feel when they first came on the market they were worst choke tube ever made. I don't know if any changes have been made to them recently, but personally if I ever purchased a choke tube barrel, I would have different chokes installed.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Many people misunderstand Remington's choke labeling. A "Trap Full" tube is not a "Full" choke because it is intended for use in one of their overbored barrels with .018" of "built-in" choke constriction. But even then, they aren't "Full" - my "Trap Full" tubes yield a net contriction of .021" in my .745" bores. It's very confusing and probably ruined a lot of peoples' confidence in RemChokes. It's also yet another instance where a bore micrometer is your best friend.

I think their regular RemChokes with standard labeling - "Full," "Modified" and such - will deliver predictable results in standard .727" to .729" bores. At least that's the case with my 1100 field gun.

Ed

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

ED,
    That is why I have a card in my guncase with my overbored Rem. trap barrel with the bore spec's and what choke is what.
    I have a briley extended tube that is a little more open that my trap full tube
    and it is only .015 for a final constriction of .027
    Great for 16yd. targets.
    But like you said it was very confusing for a lot of shooters but that is too bad because these barrels shoot GREAT!!

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

AveragEd:
    I have no idea why Remington did not follow the standard at the time. Most shooters I know lost confidence in their remington chokes and went to another brand. Remington and other shooting related companies should consider making things less complicated instead of more difficult. Who knows, maybe it's just 40 years of recoil in my case.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remchokes