1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with release/pull for doubles?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I read an older thread about preferences for doubles triggers, and there was a lot of sentiment there against 'release/pull', and preferences for 'release/release'. The thread didn't explain WHY, though. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

LA

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

It's personal preference. If you, as I am, are comfortable with a release/pull there is no reason to use a double release.

I didn't read the referenced thread but there is no absolutes in this kind of decision. It is entirely what works for you.

Cheers,

Jerry

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Jerry is right, it's what works for you.

Many shooters figure if you're flinching with a pull trigger on the first target, it's only a matter of time before you start flinching with a pull trigger on the second and that does happen some times. Therefore, they get both triggers changed to release at the same time and learn to shoot that way.

However, other shooters have difficulty working the double release and are not comfortable with that setup so they go with a release/pull. I have a release/pull and it has worked well for me for many years.

Good Luck,

Booger

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with a release/ pull, if it works for you. It worked for me for about three years until the dreaded flince returned for second shots. When you pull the gun completly off target trying to fire, the second release isn't such a bad idea. It's just heck to master to start.

Big Jack

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

As a practicle matter it is less expensive to have a pull pull trigger converted to a release release than it is to have one converted to a pull release and then at a later time converted to a release release. As BigJack elluded to if you are a flincher the pull release will eventually catch up to most of us or at least all the shooters I know who have gone through the process. Some last longer than others. The pull release seems optimal but doesn't make it in the long run if you shoot a substancial number of doubles.
    Post-2

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

For years I attempted to shoot a release/pull. But still had problems occasionally. I hated the release for various reasons. Later I switched to an
    auto thinking the recoil was my problem. But alas the flinch returned. I installed releases in all my auto's. Then did not have a choice but to learn to shoot a double release. Much to my surprise it was not problem at all. I
    then went back to a break gun and installed double release. No problem since. Now after over 10 years I would select a double release, even if I could shoot a pull.

Most noted shooters will tell you, if you are going to change go to the double release to start. You will learn it and overcome fears etc. - Jim

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I alternated between Release/Pull and Pull/Pull for about 14 very stubborn years until my Doubles average dropped down to Class C and I finally got rid of that gun. I bought a used MX-3 with a Double Release and after some troubles I finally climbed back into Class A. My flinch on the 2nd bird was not that noticeable to watch, I just couldn't hit the 2nd bird with a Pull trigger.

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Porcupine:

Some people shoot release triggers by choice. They can reliably pull a trigger but choose a release for reasons of their own. A release/pull is appropriate for these folks as is a double release.

Other folks couldn't reliably pull a trigger if their life depended on it. They shoot release triggers because they have no other choice.

Occasionally someone will describe themselves in a way that indicates they are part of the the second group. They will then ask for opinions about the wisdom of trying a release/pull for doubles. Guys like me will respond with a lot of sentiment against a release/pull for them. The reason? People that can't pull a trigger for single targets can't handle a pull trigger for the second shot of doubles either.

sissy

9. Juno

Juno TS Member

Quick question. What is it that causes a flinch? Is it the anticipation of the recoil?

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Juno...You could get 100 different reasons from 100 different shooters so no matter what people tell you...THEY DON'T KNOW! Example: Some will say it's caused by recoil. Well, If you flinch with a pull because of recoil, why do you not flinch with a release, with the same recoil. It's all BS. They don't know. Like the phrase says...it is what it is.

Booger

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I have shot a release/pull for many years. Now I shoot mostly bunker. I used to shoot doubles with it also. No problem for me though many "flinchers" tell me it will eventually go bad, so far so good. For what its worth, I LOVE the release pull. Fast as can be. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.