1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What IS this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Someone brought this shotgun to me and asked if I know what it is. It is marked Wm Moore, has Damascus twist barrels, is brown-blued, and the in-letting all seems done by hand - not top level by any means - but probably worn after 100+ years.

It is a muzzle loader. The screws on the side of the hammers are modern, as are the brass caps.

This is just Wm. Moore, not Grey and William Moore.

I haven't cleaned it and have no idea about the condition of the barrels (inside). I am not personally interested in the gun itself and I a certain I will warn the owner against firing it again until he has it tested for safety (he told me he charged it with a little black powder and used a cap he had in a drawer. It "seemed to fire fine"). I have know the guy for years and I often wonder how he survived Korea and other adventures. I don't think he's just lucky, but knows enough to stay minimally safe.

Back to the topic...my friend would deeply appreciate any information I can gather about this gun.

Larry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Wm. Moore" is an English shotgun company, actually Wm. Moore & Co. Sometimes these will have the stamping "London Fine Twist" between the barrels.

It is NOT the same as "William Moore", which was a trade name of Henri Pieper of Belgium. I do not know why they picked that name. Apparently, other companies have also used the "William Moore" name. The point is to be careful when searching info on Wm. Moore vs William Moore.

I did a little googling and this is the closest I was able to find to your friend's shotgun:

Wm. Moore Shotgun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

william moore and grey shotgun