1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what is this

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by moowho, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moowho

moowho Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

What is this, & value. If anybody can help me out. I don't see any markings at all Thanks, Bryon
    moowho_2009_140710.jpg

moowho_2009_14079.jpg

2. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

0   0   0

Well...it's a cap lock muzzle loader. Some of these old guns fetch some money depending on who made them. Keep looking for something marked on it.

Vern

3. moowho

moowho Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I took the gun outside in the sun light and can't find any markings. looks to be original,Trigger & hammer works.I'm afraid to separate barrel from wood to look for markings. Bryon

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

0   0   0

whatevre you do, DO NOT clean it...

Jay

5. one1bird

one1bird TS Member

0   0   0

without it being in hand to look at its a bit tough but here goes
    cheek piece just about rules out military as does absence of bayonet lug (some exceptions)even though it is a 2 band musket missing a band... might be a CSA import piece as they would take almost anything if it was a good deal and they could pay in cotton
    I assume it is not rifled
    you might try lightly rubbing mineral oil on the lock plate if there is any markings it should make them a little darker as the rust sucks in the oil
    barrel length and caliber might help
    If you remove the action and barrel from the stock you should find at least a proof mark underneath if none are visiable anywhere else however Do Not do it at the expense of breaking something or buggering up a screw or threads
    best of luck
    Pat

6. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Did you buy that at an auction Wednesday night??

7. moowho

moowho Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

this gun has a unique story. I found it while remodeling my house. The house was built in 1840 by the parents of the highest ranking officer from Wisconsin that was killed in the civil war.(Col. Hans Heg)

8. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

0   0   0

That's neat!!

I was at an auction last night, and there was a similar looking rifle.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

moowho--If you knew all that info why didn't you post that in the first place instead of acting like you knew absolutely nothing about it??

10. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

0   0   0

I wouldn't do anything to it and take it to a Roadshow. those folks are sharp or can send u to the right place.. Allen

11. moowho

moowho Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I'm sorry i offended anyone, I found this over 25 years ago and nobody that I know has ever seen one of these. I was thinking of selling.I have some medical bills to take care of, so I was looking for some info about it. So I tried a post here. Bryon

12. grntitan

0   0   0

Bryon,

No one was offended i'm just say'n all the info you had would have been helpful. I'm no expert by any means but your looks to be very rough if indeed it is a "Zouave Rifle". The link above shows an actual M1863 Remington Zouave Rifle. In its condition they are asking $4500. That's asking. Doesn't mean they are getting. I think you'll need to have it researched by a pro. If you had documentation of the high ranking officer it may add to the value of yours by providing a real life connection. Use the pics from the link above to see if you may see any of the markings as this one has. As stated above in posts DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN OR POLISH THE GUN. That is the fastest way to ruin this item or lesson its value.--Matt

13. moowho

moowho Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Matt,My gun has a fixed rear sight,The Rem looks adjustable and the barrel starts out as a hexagon from the breech out about 1.5" then round to the end of barrel and has a bayonet lug on the bottom of the barrel. I have no proof whose gun it was. but I can prove the house it was in and the wall I found it behind. Bryon

14. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

0   0   0

Moohoo...just the facts would be enough for me, if I were into buying these kind of guns. I think you have something very special there. I hope you make out alright with it and hope your heath improves.

Vern

15. moowho

moowho Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thank You To everyone who responded. This is still the the best site on the web.Bryon

16. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Looks very much like the US 1842 musket - it's not a Zouave.

17. yakimaman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

You have a valuable piece of history there. Don't do anything to it.

Rich

18. grntitan

0   0   0

Wouldn't it have some sort of markings if it was an actual US Model 1842 Musket, Springfield Armory Mfg or is it just too rusted up to see them?? I do agree with comparing the pics of the two its much more similar to the 1842 rather than the Zouave.

19. moowho

moowho Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

the gun is well weathered it was inside a wall over 150 years

20. yakimaman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

On all these old weapons it's a good idea to take a cleaning rod or dowel and check depth of barrel - it's not uncommon to find they were loaded when put away.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.