1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this really about

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Nutso, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutso

Nutso Member

The focus coming from this horrible school shooting and mass murder seems to be bent on guns, semi-automatics in particular. But this isn't about who has access to guns and just importantly who does not.

WHAT it is really about is what is conditioning these young men to be capable of mass murder? IMO violence in today's society is considered entertainment, it's avalaible everyday, in many forms,AND there is way to much of it. The video game culture in particular should be a primary focus, theses kids are spending hours if not days at a time playing these violent games-to me at least there is a correlation. Also the electronic age has ushered in total self absorbtion by young adults and children- it seems every where I turn there is a person glued to their I-phone, or with ear buds which virtually eliminates social interaction with those in ther immediate company. Which in turn leads to desensitization. Most of us where raised to be polite and considerate of others, and we spent hours playing games with others outside: sports, board games, hunting, fishing, augmenting those interaction skills. We learned the 10 comandants, not just because it was our religion, but because it was how we behaved in society, because it was how we wanted to be treated, and to that others. My own children included, ( 23 and 29 year old young men), they weren't allowed to sit for hours in front of the TV or to play video games other than those based on sports. They were sent outside to play with their playmates, to be creative, to build social skills. Todays young people seem to be totally bent on electronic entertainment- its a big problem.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Not-So-Nutso, well said and very true guy!!

Hap

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree, it amazes me how some of the young and old are addicted to their I phone, computer, and TV

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Nutso,

Totally agree with what you said. The solution has to be realistic however, that does not include any bans of a firearm, or parts. It also has to be something that is obtainable within a reasonable amount of time. Changing society is going to be a daunting task, that I feel we do not have time to wait for in this case.

I have to ask this question. What where trigger locks, and gun safes designed to do? Why do they exist? Are there laws in effect right now, for these items? Jon

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Heard on a radio show yesterday.

A clinical, board certified psycologist talked about the profile of people who commit these acts.

1. reclusive, depressed, delusional and many suffered from mild forms of autism.

Years ago they were virtually cut off from the outside world during the reclusive and depressed states. These days they have the internet and violent video games. This becomes theater to them. They become self-absorbed in this and more often it prompts them to act out on those fantasies.

This show lasted for well over an hour and the psycologist made many good points and observations but this point really stood out.

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Why would a mother buy and leave access of weapons to an autistic son ? Its got me puzzeled!
    Clyde

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Good points, all.

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Our society and culture has a serious problem. This morning on Fox News a retired Army Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (former instructor at West Point) discussed the incredible negative influence on the generation of 20 some year olds by the violence in "entertainment media", including video games. Frighteningly, he said we are just seeing the beginning of such horrific crimes. Today, the church in the town where these murders occurred had a bomb threat called in during the noon church services. Lt. Col. Grossman driected veiwers to a website - www.getbulletproofmail.com. He is an instructor of police and military officers on this subject. Scary.
    SEE CORRECTION BELOW....SORRY

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I><blockquote>"Lt. Col. Grossman driected veiwers to a website - www.getbulletproofmail.com."</blockquote></I>Check your web address; I can't find anything with that name on the 'net.

The Colonel DOES offer a 8-hour personal training seminar called "<I>The Bulletproof Mind: Mental Preparation for Combat</I>" and has authored a number of books, one titled <I>The Bulletproof Mind: Prevailing in Violent Encounters...and After</I>. Might THAT be what you heard him recommend??

Keller

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I don't agree. I was born in 1938, so I was pretty young during WWII. But what do you think we did when we played outside? Ring-around-the-rosie? We played
    WAR! We made Garands and M-1'a out of pieces of wood. We had had pitched battles against the japs and germans. If we were lucky we got a toy rifle or
    machine gun which had more firepower than the guns made from shipping crates.
    We built forts for protection, and shot at the enemy from behind trees and fences. If you got shot, you had to fall down. Rules of war. How about the war movies and gangster movies of the forties? James Cagney, Edward G Robinson - that wasn't violent?

You think a video game makes kids more violent than actually acting out the
    violence? And we turned out fine.

The fact that these killings are so similar should give you a clue. These terribly disturbed individuals, usually misfits rejected and taunted by their peers, are getting the attention they wanted, and the revenge against society, all at the same time.

11. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

See my post under "The right to bear arms" thread.

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Unknown1, thanks for catching my incorrect i.d. of the website stated by Lt. Col. Grossman. Apologies for my mistake. Regards, Ed

Correct site: http://www.getbulletproofmind.com

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Good thread. I do think the reality of electronic violent games blurs he distinction between reality and fantasy. The games "we" made up as kids were obviously, even to us, illusory. I feel the virtual reality of fast moving electronic games cannot but desensitize the disturbed to violence. Perhaps our games did to a point, but hardly enough to pour over into actual violence.

Again, IMO, good enlightening points; we, as a responsible country, have a lot of work to do and it "ain't just about guns..."

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have anything to do with drugging kids to make the tachers lives easier 20 some years ago, now would it?

10 to 15 years of Ritalin and Adderol don't have eny effect, do they?

Lack of discipline and structure aren't factors, are they?

The genie is out of the bottle, and you can expect more.

Punishing the guns won't do anything.

HM

15. sherry2310

sherry2310 TS Member

I think a big part also may be the huge number of fatherless homes we have. Many women CHOOSE to be single mothers. I don't think that women can teach boys how to be men. Boys need an "Alpha Male" to keep them in line. Doesn't help that many want to be friends with there kids. Just my .02!

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

sherry2310,

I agree with you except for the part of being a friend. My father was my best friend but first he was my Dad. Sadly I lost my best friend in 1999. I never grew up to commit crimes or any of these horrible things we see today.

On another note, I grew up playing Army with the neighborhood kids using toy guns and homemade weapons. I still have contact with these friends and none ever committed any crimes nor did we ever dream of something so horrific. I think we were perfectly normal kids.

17. sherry2310

sherry2310 TS Member

grntitan,

Sorry about your Dad. I know what you mean when you say he was your Dad first, then your best friend.

I also remember growing up and watching the boys in the neighborhood playing Army, Cowboys and Indians and general rough housing! (Us girls had no use for such nonsense! LOL)

I noticed a big difference when I had my own boys and found out that todays culture has no tolerance for such "uncivilized" behavior. Having worked at an elementary school I was dumb founded by the rules of no guns, war games, dodgeball at recess. .. Little boys actually being suspended for having squirt guns! I asked once what if these boys want to be policemen, Patrol Agents, Military when they grow up? Why are we telling them what they are doing is wrong? What is so wrong with "Boys being boys?" Blank stare..."Zero Tolerance."

All I can figure is we want our boys to be more like girls and when they don't meet that standard we drug them into submission and then years later wonder why they can't function in society...

18. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Here we go again with how violent video games are causing problems. I and many like me grew up playing these "violent" video games and I have yet to kill someone.

Trying to blame video games, TV, or anything else is beyond stupid.

It all comes down to personal responsibility.

Now I'm off to play some Black Ops II.

19. sherry2310

sherry2310 TS Member

^ Sounds like a good time waster...

20. Nutso

Nutso Member

Of course we all played army as kids, most of what we did was build forts and run around and hid from each othwr. When our buddy got hurt we helped the home to get fixed up by mom or dad.

Video games kids sit by themselves, inside, playing for hours, and shooting 1000's of shots. Theses

That's how I see it, and we'll see what emerges from the killers personality and activities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.