1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this gun worth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Back in the 70's I shot the 5 man team shoot at the Waukesha gun club. A member on the same team was an attorney. Over the years we became friends. Yesterday after work I ran into him at one of the local malls and he asked me, What is a nib Remington 3200 Live bird gun worth, with 32" barrels? I think he said the barrels were Full and Full, or Full and extra full, can't remember? I told him I never saw a 3200 live bird gun and I don't know.

He invited me to a live bird shoot held in Illinois back around that time, but I could not afford to go. He said it was obviously not an advertised shoot as every do gooder organization would be picketing the shoot. He purchased the gun new from Frenchy Frigon, but never shot it. Some guy he knows whats to purchase the gun and wants to use it for trap doubles. I suggested he tell his other friend to purchase a trap 3200 and keep the live pigeon gun because I think there were not a lot of them made and it could be a good investment, just to keep it.

Anyone know what the gun is worth? Anyone agree that there was not many made, and it would be a good investment to just hold on to it, rather than have someone make adjustments to it so they can shoot trap doubles and devalue the gun? At one time, didn't John Hall use the same gun for doubles?
    Steve Balistreri

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Steve the actual answer to your question is "Its worth what someone is willing to pay." As to a ballpark figure i can't help you. I've never had good luck with holding on to things and them becoming real valuable.

Matt

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Steve, I bought a matched pair Skeet and trap 3200's new in box about a year ago for 5000.00 on the pair and I probably paid to much.They have matching serial no.'s.They were 1 of 100 guns also. Bill

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

Probably a good place to start would be a 100% Price for a 3200, and probably one of the 1 of 100 or 1 of 1000 guns.

5. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

My bluebook is about 4 years old. It states that aprox 250 pigeon grades were made between 1979-83. There should be a gold pigeon on receiver bottom. Also special run of 100 guns 1991-92. 100% value is listed as $2450, 95% at $1850.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Blue book doesn't have a "live Pigeon" gun listed. The only 3200 with 32" barrels are there Trap models. Here are their values at 100%:
    Basic Trap is $1,375.00
    Special Trap is $1,450.00
    Competition Trap is $1,950.00
    Competition Trap - Pigeon Grade is $2,450.00
    Their Premier and "One of 1000" models didn't come in 32"
    All of this is according to Blue Book.
    Dave T.

7. senior smoke

Bill Grill:
    Over the years when I got a case of the "I gotta haves" pertaining to guns, At the time I don't really care if I over pay. Problem with me is usually I get a case of "I got to sell" to get some cash for what ever, and then I take a loss. Regardless, you have the nicest collection of guns I have ever seen. Have a Happy holiday.
    Steve

PJ999:
    Now if someone might have an up to date book, but with your help we are getting close on a price. Thanks for your help and have a happy holiday.
    Steve

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Steve: My figures are from the current Blue Book. Dave T.

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

On a Remington forum, I read that a 3200 Live Bird gun was configured with IM/Full chokes on 28" barrels. No real idea what the high and low price should be on this gun. Good luck though.

John E.

10. senior smoke

Dave T:
    Great, I was unaware. Appreciate it.
    Steve

Vern and Dave T:
    I could have sworn he said 32 inch barrels??? He told me he purchased the gun nib from Frenchy Frigon at the Waukesha state shoot. He told me his friend offered him $1,500.00 for the gun. I didn't tell him this, but if a guy is willing to spend $1,500.00 for a 3200, he could get a nice trap grade for that amount, why buy a live pigeon gun?
    Steve

11. kenf

kenf Active Member

Just when I think I have a nice collection, I remember the guns BILL GRILL has, and get depressed.

12. senior smoke

Kenf:
    Just like in life, someone has to have the best and worse in everything collected. I am glad that over the years I had a pretty nice 870 collection. The only 870 that I never owned was an F grade. Remember what a good friend of mine said when his wife asked him why do you have over 100 guns. He said you don't have to feed them, why not?
    Steve

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

When that particular gun was made, Remington was sensitive to their customers wants and needs. You could order a pigeon gun in 28, 30 or 32 inch barrels from your dealer. My guess is it was a "left over" in Remington's inventory and Frenchy got hold of it. He bought a lot of guns that way from Remington and others, then made a good deal to the shooters who purchased them from him. I'm sure Remington was happy to see that one go away, not much demand for a 32" pigeon gun! However, they are excellent shotguns and by today's pricing it would no doubt sell new for around $3000.00! If it is one of the newer models with the retro-upgrade (check for a dot in the serial number) I would think $1500.00 is a very fair price for a new or almost new gun. Re-choking the gun for doubles should not be expensive and it would make a fine doubles gun.

Bob Schultz

14. JOND

JOND TS Member

It would nice to see a picture of what the engraved "pigeon" on the bottom of the receiver looks like! JOND

15. missed some

missed some TS Member

and at the time the gun was bought they weren't worth much by todays standards, but money was worth more then too. A very good friend bought one from frenchy, the gun and two cases of shells, which at the time was 40 boxes, was 600 bucks!I remember him debating with himself over it. Sad thing now is....I never bought one. But you could get a field model for around 300-350. Oh well mark crist

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Kenf don't get depressed about my guns. I see alot nicer stuff on here than my little collection of antiques. Merry Christmas All. Bill

17. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I sold mine 3200 Live Bird gun over 15 years ago. I saw a few of them back in the day when we had a few more live bird shoots in this area.

All of them that I seen were the same. 30" Barrels with a .727 bore and .40 points on the bottom barrel and .44 on the top. Both were just marked "Full". The one I had and the few others that I seen all had outstanding wood on them. The guns were not marked with any name (Trap, Special Trap or Live Bird) and they had the same engraving pattern on them as the Standard Trap with the pointing dog.

I don't know what Remington did on their parts clean up so I guess there is no telling what might be out there.

I will be talking with the man that was the production manager for the 3200's at Remington in the next few days and will try to see what he can tell me about them.

You will get your best money out of it by selling it to a live bird shooter. Please don't let anyone re-choke it. Those old barrels were as good as it got for killing birds inside the ring.

Jim R

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Is it full/full?

19. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steve, That live bird shoot didn't happen to be just north of Canton, IL. did it?

20. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Unless it's a collectable gun, NIB doesn't add much value to it.

What are you going to do with it? keep in the box is the only way you might retain it's value. Once you shoot it, the NIB value is gone, you can't restore it.

If it's not a collectable gun, what's the point keeping it in the box? Ask yourself this question anytime someone try to sell you a NIB gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.