1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this Gun? HELP!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trap_shooter2000, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap_shooter2000

trap_shooter2000 Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have come across a gun that a friend has and I need your help. We have no idea what brand of gun this might be, when it was made, or especially what it is worth?

It appears to be VERY old, serial numbers hand stamped, engraving and checkering all hand inlayed. It has double triggers, as well as harness locators for easy carrying. "TRAP" is engraved on the underside of the receiver as well as a mallard duck. There is no brand name anywhere on the gun.

This gun was bought at an old estate auction, and this gun could date back many years, considering the couple passed away in their 90's.

Any help will greatly be appreciated!

Shoot well, Aaron Willoughby

1af5168f.jpg

2833c89b.jpg

2edbdeaf.jpg

b36b9cf6.jpg

90730318.jpg

db0d97b2.jpg

2. trap_shooter2000

Safety is behind the top lever as well.

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Sure looks like a Beretta style rib!? I mention this because my first o/u purchased when I was young, 1970 ish, was an o/u made by Beretta which supposedly was made for the European crowd because it also had a sling attachment underneath the bottom barrel just like this one. If I recall, the model was S 57 E I think. Anyway, mine did not have the fancy silver inlays but was engraved and was not a top of the line Beretta! I am not sure, but I think it had single selective trigger but too long ago now to remember! Sorry I could not be more help. Tom Rhoads

4. trap_shooter2000

Thanks Tom. I will continue to search! This has sparked my interest.

Aaron W.

5. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Possibly a Beretta BL-1.

pg

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Damn, that looks familiar. If I recall, it's a Spanish outfit that morphed into Lanber....not 100% sure though.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think Tron's correct. I've traded for a couple like that but they were marked Spain. There was a Spanish made copy of Ljutic Mono guns. Both copies were very cheaply made.

8. trap_shooter2000

The only letters/writing on the receiver state "PRO" or "PRD" in very fine print. It is located on the left side of the receiver in the lower right hand corner. If you wasn't looking for it you would never notice it due to the engraving pattern.

Aaron W.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The stock inlet is similar to that of a Beretta BL-1 or BL-2 but the width of the wood protrusion is narrower. It could be an old Beretta knock-off by Laurona or similar.

-Gary

10. TANGO ECHO

TANGO ECHO TS Member

Look for the proof marks!They will tell you the Country of origin!

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

Aaron if it has proof marks the back of the Blue Book of Gun Values has a listing of proofs by country of origin. Any markings on the barrel or iron?
    Also you may have better luck finding it in an older Blue Book say 19th - 21st edition, after that the blue books just refer back to the older editions for early imports.

Those initials are probably the engraver it is very common for them to initial their work.

--- Chip King ---

12. trap_shooter2000

The initials engraved on the left side, bottom right hand corner of the receiver is "PRD." I'm sure this is the engravers initials.

The only writing on the barrels are serial numbers on the extractors, as well as "12 ga., 2 3/4 choke f/m".

Here are some additional photos after stock removal.

b5c1a862.jpg

4fb4161d.jpg

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There seems to be some engraving next to the duck. Any idea what it says?

Eric

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm with Tron and Barry on this one. Definitely looks to be spanish in origin (engraving and interior pic's are the clues). The fit and finish isn't up to snuff for the better Italian gunmakers. I could be wrong, as I have been more than once in my life, but it doesn't look to be anything special.

ss

15. skeezix

skeezix Member

It might helpto take some similar photos of the monobloc. Any stamping or markings there may help with your quest

john

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Eddie--The word in front of the Duck engraving is "Trap". He stated that in the opening post.

Matt

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Oops, mia culpa. Forgot about re-reading the 1st post.

Eric

18. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Copy of a 680 Beretta. The s57(BL) had a different fore end latch and cocking rod system. Though the engraving looks very similar to Krieghoff's! :)

19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

A couple of comments...

First, with the sling swivels my first comment would be a gun most likely made for the German market, albeit some Italian field guns have these too.

With that in mind one would think a 'guild gun' made either in Belgium, England, or Spain for the German market.

But I don't think so...

The action looks very much like a Beretta, which makes me think more along the lines of - for lack of a better term, an 'Italian guild gun' - an off market copy of a Beretta, typically made as a field type gun for the Italian market (you can find many of these in Italy if you know where to look).

So my two cents is that someone bought a specialized version of an Italian guild gun set up as a trap gun.

20. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Aaron, I have all the proofmarks books, so if you can get a clean pic of the marks on the monobloc and barrel flats, there won't be much mystery.

My guess is Spanish knockoff of the Beretta S-55, which was a pretty popular gun in the late 50s-early 60s.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.