1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the WORST gun that you've ever owned?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I asked this question some time back on another forum and got some interesting responses. My worst gun ever was a Winchester 1400 that I bought back in the 70's when I was a Trap boy. The old fart that sold it to me KNEW it was a piece of crap and got me for top dollar....I didn't know any better.

Tron.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The only worst gun issue I've had is with my SKB 5700 Int. Trap the issue is that with other than light low recoil loads it kicks like a freakn mule

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mossberg 835 ... one of the very early super lite weight ones. Fill it full of some nice heavy 3-1/2" magnum type shells and you will begin to know that your holding a gun but just dont shoot the dang thing with those shells still in or your going to need to go see the Dr for a shoulder replacement. She dont kick like a mule but more like a mule, horse, jackass, donkey and zebra all bred into one mean kickin animal.

BTW ... anyone want to by a fantastic gun with some really super low recoil?

4. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Mine was a Lanbar?Lanber? O/U. Tried going the inexpensive route for an O/U and it was a pretty good gun. But, it started doubling and after sending it back to the factory twice without getting it fixed, dumped it. Hard to concentrate when you are not sure if you are going to through 2 1/4 ounces with a pull of the trigger!

Todd Farris

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The worst or most troublesome gun I ever owned was a Franchi OU 30" Trap. Shotgun Sports magazine wrote an article saying that Perazzi was The Rolls Royce and Franchi The Mercedes of shotguns. A Mercedes it wasnt. The top lever kept working its way past the center jamming one of the firing pins. A small set screw kept loosening and several attempts to repair were all for nothing. I bought it new and this started after about 200 rounds.

A small gunshop in my area consigned it and found a new owner. All I have is a Gimme Franchi Trap hat thats been in the closet since. Ill sell it cheap, any takers? Gerald

6. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Browning reproduction model 12 20ga. Shot about 3 rounds of skeet warming up for dove season and the thing would lock up and you couldn't eject the spent hull. Sent it back to Browning 3 times always the same thing -cleaned and returned. Never got it right. So I unloaded it on a trade. Mike

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

EAA/Baikal Sporting Single Shot (same as the Remington Spartan SPR100)

Thought I'd get a low cost gun for a backup. I couldn't shoot it! It must have weighed 6 pounds and had a 12 pound trigger! Way too light and whippy. Only had a 29.5" barrel. Too short for a single-shot.

8. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

SKB The biggest piece of crap I ever owned. It was broke more times than me, and I was unemployed. Don't remember the model. It was a semi auto and when I shot it, it would eject parts farther than the hulls. I traded it for a dirty sock. I got the best of that deal. :>)

9. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

The old Winchester 101 - it loked great, but kicked like a mule. I had a black and blue shoulder, as well as a black and blue cheek within one round.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Lowgun, I had the same problem and the same result, but Browning did get it fixed the 3rd time. That was the last Browning I ever bought, and I will not buy another.

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

remington 1100.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Winchester 101 Pigeon grade trap. 32 inch o/U. I have never fired a gun that fit me any better or kicked me any harder. I really liked the way it shot but the recoil was really somthing. Jeff

13. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Beretta 686e Sporting...beautiful gun, really well made, but it kicked like a Rockette, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it - JoeBerg

14. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Back in the late 60's, I had an Ithaca SKB 900 O/U with 32" barrels. I had it for about 6 months of which I only shot it for about 3 weeks. The gun kept doubling while shooting doubles which would break both firing pins. I sent it back to Ithaca 4 times.

I finally gave up and sold it to somebody who didn't shoot doubles at about 40% of what the gun was worth. I swore off SKB made guns forever.

John Semprini

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

No doubt, my first trap gun that almost ended my hobby before it started. It was a Winchester 96 Expert which is an unadorned model of the 101. I don't know what it is about those guns but it simply was too painful to shoot, even with lite loads.

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Springfield XD in 9mm. 6 inch groups at 15 yards.

Don

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Zara, no, I never had the chance to get even with the old goat....he keeled over. BTW, the gun you speak of was a model 58 and yes, they could be quite tempermental. As long as you kept them clean (I mean really clean), they were fine...most of the time. I still have my 20ga 58 Skeet gun and it was the first gun that I run 100 with in Skeet....I love the thing.

ALSO, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dverna!

Tron.

18. Msuhunter

Msuhunter Member

Back in the early 70's I had my 870 stolen, since I need a gun quick I purchased a Ithaca 37 as they were on sale. It pointed great looked nice and I shot it pretty well, the problem was it jammed and dumped shells on the ground. I traded it for another 870.

19. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In 1965 I bought my first O/U an SKB and it would not shoot the 2nd barrel. I took it back to the store in St.Paul MN twice and they gave me money back. I then bought a guess what ? Winchester 101 choked Full and Full. That gun worked reliably and I could even shoot Doubles with it but it damned well had to be the last Event of the weekend shoot.

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

H&R single shot 12 ga. It could teach the mule how to kick!

A close second is a 391 teknys that I used to own. A lot of issues tring to get the trigger right(2 1/2 months at one of the best sledge-o-matic guys in the country), Feeding problems with both factory and reloaded shells, not to mention the all day wait for the trigger lock-up.

Tron, I know your gonna have a field day with this one!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
skb 5700 skeet
winchester 101 trigger repair

worst gun i ever owned

worst knife yoive ever owned