1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Is The Worst Car You've Ever Owned

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hauxfan, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

What Is The Worst Car You

Mine was a 71 Plymouth Fury 3 2 door hardtop with a 440ci motor and a 3:23 rear end.

It got 11 mpg going up a mountain or coasting down the other side. Pulling my camper, it would drop down to 7 mpg.

Every 10-11,000 miles, the front wheels would cup. Which means it would develop flat spots in them, so I'd have to put them on the rear.

I had ordered this car, and when I found out it was going to be built the day before Thanksgiving, I just figured it was going to be a lemon. And it really was.

I could not keep it out of the shop.

The air/heater controls had some kind of air pressure to operate the buttons and it went through 3 of them before they got one to hold the air pressure.

It also had a power steering problem. Like it went through 3 power steering units before I traded it off.

The only thing I didn't have a real problem with was the drive train. Everything else sucked.

Here is what my car looked like right down to the colors.

[​IMG]

I usually kept a car at least 100,000 miles before I traded, but I got rid of this car when it only had 56,000 on it. I couldn't afford it anymore.....well, the repairs.

A friend of mine spotted it sitting in a car lot where I had traded it off and was dickering on it. I told him not to buy it as it was a lemon.

He just laughed and said I probably had everything fixed on it so he bought it anyway.

After a couple of years, he said I was right, he could not keep it out of the shop either.

It was a big roomy car, but it was a disaster as far as keeping it on the road.

This was the worst car I ever owned, bar none.

Let's hear about your lemons(and I don't mean your wife and/or girlfriends). LOL

Hauxfan!

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

A 1960 bugeye sprite. Everytime i got in I cut my knee. I was just too big for that car. Mike.

3. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

'71 wasn't a good year for MOPAR. My dad bought a brand new 3/4 ton DODGE van to haul the family and tow our camper or horses. It had a bad u-joint from the factory. There was a clunk in the back door that turned out to be an empty Coke bottle, someone's lunch bag and a spare gas cap. All of this was stuffed behind the door panel. It also had the wonderful vacuum driven HVAC controls. After several years of fighting with it dad replaced them with mechanical cables from a newer model. Many other issues with that van. He kept it for over 100,000 miles and 15 yrs. It had a 360 c.i. engine and got about the same mileage as your Furry. We traveled around the U.S. in that van. I have great memories of the trips we took in it.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

72 VW Super Beetle. This was the year they changed the front end to McPherson struts. Vibrate, wobble, shimmy, take it in and listen to the dealer blow smoke up your butt, time after time. Once he said it was because there was snow on the struts.

Door hinges locked up and they destroyed the door fixing it.

If there was a cloud on the horizon it wouldn't start. Even if the forecast was for rain later it wouldn't start.

I had had such good luck with earlier Bugs this was a total letdown.

Even now I would have to think hard about VW.

HM

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A 1993 S-10 Blazer Tahoe. Right after the 3 year 30,000mi. warranty everything started going wrong. Heater core, 3- Egr valves, I ended up just unplugging, 2- rear windshield wiper motors, main computer, 2-solenoid switches for the front transfer case, Main ABS motor, just unplugged that too, fuel injection system. The finale straw was the tranny went out at 75,000 mi.

It's funny in 1994 Consumer Reports gave that '93 Blazer a top rating, by 1997 it was considered the worst used SUV on the market.

No, it was not used off-road.

Wayne

6. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

I won a Simca in a trapshoot back in the 70's. by far the worst car I've owned or even heard about. It cost an extra $50 entry fee to shoot for the car; I would rather have my $50 than the Simca.

It completely fell apart at about 13,000 miles and I junked it! I couldn't safely plan on driving it to town and back without it breaking down. Yep, I should have kept my $50 and not taken the car.

Jim

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

75 XJ12 more shop time than O'bammie on vacation. Jaguar didn't think excessive oil consumption until it was burning 2qts per 350 miles, that was not counting the leaking. Other than that it was a great road car and lots of fun to drive when it was not in the shop.

8. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

61 VW Bug. Only good thing was I bought it for 125 bucks and sold it 3 months later for 250. 6 volt electrical system, no heat, 32 horsepower maybe it was 36......pretty close to zero either way

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

In the mid-1970's, I made the mistake of buying a Nissan Patrol Wagon while under the influence of a 'controlled' substance. Never again, neither controlled substances nor Nissans (OK, Nissans might have better vehicles now).

LA in MA (Power to the People!)

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hmmm, contrary to Rick Barker's remarks, I've had a near perfect experience with Fords, 4 doors, small and full sized trucks, currently 10 years with a 22 MPG Power Stroke over 100 thousand miles - guess it's a luck of the draw situation.......breakemall

11. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

1974 Fiat 124. "Fix it again Tony" pretty much describes it. At least I can fix my own cars but that thing was always broke. Second place was a 1973 Chevy Vega. Rotted away in 2 yrs and burned so much oil I didn't even bother to check it. Just dumped in two quarts every weekend.

By the way my best cars have been Fords.

Steve

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Never had a real lemon. Couple of cars I liked that had a big flaw or two: 1. '71 302 Bronco that was underpowered and burned three exhaust valves bigtime at 8000 miles. I know, I was a poor kid at the time and tore it down in driveway doing the weekend warrior kind of thing. 2. '78 350 4-speed El Camino. Fast and sexy car/truck; I added a warmed over and fresh 350 SBC. Only problem, damn near got me in an accident when the brakes faded coming into Salt Lake City from the north on the fwy. First stop, was not speeding, just a little weight in the bed, and the damn thing would just not stop. Could feel the fade during the one stop. The trick of the day was to upgrade to older A-Body GM brakes. I never did that; today's cars and trucks are so much better, albeit with much less character.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

1967 jeepster commando with Buick V6 and 1979 Dodge powerwagon. Like Bdodd best were Fords 1994 Ford Explorer 287,000 took me to the grand many times.

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

15 miles off the dealer's lot, and it's totaled , absolutely the worst car.

[​IMG]

15. spritc

spritc Active Member

A Fiat 850 Spider back in the 70s. It didn't want to start in the winter and had to be jumped every morning inspite of having a new battery. Fun to drive when it started, but way too small.

16. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

1985 S-10 4x4, what a pile of junk, then I purchased a new 1988 S-10 and it was worse, you could wash the paint off at the car wash, the dealer re-painted the whole truck and includes many runs and dead flys in the paint to have to listen to an excuse of it is only a $X,XXX.00 truck what do you expect???

Fred J

17. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

ford granada

18. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have no doubt been blessed, having owned 50+ cars and I can't say any were true lemons. Needed service and care, but no clunkers in the bunch.

Now, my buddies when we were in high school and college, had some TR2 and TR3's that honestly were mechanics nightmares. Electrical was...well no way to describe how bad it was. Lucas I believe at the time. Little tractor engine that ran well enough, but they did not think enough of the car to give it synchro's for low gear. Found that out the hard way driving one. Learned to match a slow stop to the gear, worked pretty well.

They leaked like a strainer...heat in the summer, super cold in the winter. The floor boards I think were custom designed from cardboard boxes.

Lot of fond memories in them, along with pushing them to the side of the road often. Youth does cover a lot of ugly.

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What Is The Worst Car You

The two most dangerous cars we've ever owned were a 70 maverick---the top of the gas tank was in the trunk & next most dangerous was a 97 explorer --the front wheel feel to the side after the bolt holding the fitting that secured the upper control arm broke & the ball joint slipped free--we just exited an interstate.
    There was no positive capture of the upper ball joint stud-it was held in place by a pinch fit.

No more Ford's after that one---it was my wife's vehicle.

Phil Berkowitz

20. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Bm troubleyou--it was an x5 and in the shop once a month on average

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.