1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the value of a 1897 shotgun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I found a model 1897 12 ga shotgun built in 1917 in excellent condition. It has been reblued I'm sure and it looks like you just took it out of the box. 28 inch full choke barrel. Can anyone give me an approximate value? I have a 73 Winchester that is pretty rough and was offered a trade of $400.00 and the 97 for the 73. Sound like a good deal to you? I didn't know any history of the 73 as I got it in a trade for less than a hundred dollars but it was built in 1889. Jackie B.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    97s are in demand by cowboy shooters. They can run from $450 to $650, depending on a lot of factors.

Prices vary wildly on 1873s. "Rough" can be overcome by rarity. If it is a standard rifle with a bad bore in 44-40, and is really little better than a parts gun, it's probably worth $300 to $450 or so. If it looks good enough for display but that's about all, maybe a bit more. Might be worth more as a parts gun. If it is rough but original and has rare features, it might still be of interest to a collector.

Do you have a picture of the '73?

3. Shooting Jack

Brian, I forgot to add that it was a 38-40 and the bore was pretty good. I left it with the guy for him to check out so I don't have a picture. It would probably be rated at 75 PCT with good wood. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

4. Brian in Oregon

If the bore is good then it probably has shooter value, and that will increase the price. Most cowboy shooters aren't interested in 38-40, though. They prefer 44-40 or 32-20. But there are some shooting the 38-40. Might put the 73 up in the $700+ range.

Even so, $400 and a refinished 1897, assuming a good job was done on it, is a decent deal.

A standard *1873* (corrects typo, doh!) will have a 26" barrel, full length mag tube, straight grip stock, and a crescent buttplate. The standard barrel is round, but octagon were more popular and common, though they cost more. Any deviation from this might indicate a special order and might increase value.

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Brian, are you sure about your last paragraph?

GneJ

6. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Right church wrong pew Brian!!

RW

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think you have been offered a fair trade for your '73 but the fact it was offered suggests you could do a bit better. If you have no real attachments or plans for the '73 then counter the guy's offer with something like $600 cash and the '97 for the '73.

The 1873 carbine is a neat gun but collectors don't pay much for the lower condition ones unless their is something that makes it a rarity. The '97 shotguns continue to go up in value thanks to SASS.

8. Shooting Jack

Thanks everyone for the info. I made the deal for the 97 which is in mint condition and barrel is 28 3/4 inch from tip to edge of the receiver. The only wear on it is on the shell tube and edge of the slide. I did take the $400.00 and the 97. Thanks again everyone. Jackie B.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Brian, out of all the 97's that I now own or have owned, most were 30" fulls. The other were trench guns.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The 97's I have had were also 30 inch full barrels

My uncle had a 97 that was in mint condition I wanted to get that gun sooooo bad, but one of his sons wanted it so I was skrewed

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have about 8 of em, from 26 inch to 32 inch.

GneJ

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Every 97 I have seen was a 30" full choke also. The one I have now is a 18.5" cylinder bore but it too started as a 30" full. I think the ammo of the day favored the longer tubes and tight chokes.

13. Brian in Oregon

Yeah typo'd. Corrected it. Hope you like your '97.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is the 1897 a shooter