1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the twitter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I get anywhere from 30-40 PM's a day from shooters. A few of them have asked me if I would consider going on the twitter? What exactly is it, how do you get on the twitter, and does it cost anything?

I am not computer savvy, or know anything about current technology. What is it, and why do people go on it?
    Steve Balistreri

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

They think everyone they know wants to know where they are and what they're doing there and some people they don't know to be aware that they aren't at home, so their residences are ripe for the picking.

Seriously, I have no idea why people need so many different ways to communicate. I'd think CEL phones, texting and email would cover anyone's needs. But then, I'm probably just showing my age.

By the way, I think it's just wrong for a grown man to say he's going to "tweet."

Ed

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Twitter, Facebook, etc., are juvenile and sophmoric internet sites for those people that have no life.

Curt

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Ed is right tweet is wrong on so many levels!

5. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Well, I don't have a twitter account and have no interest in tweeting or following anyone's tweets, but we do very similar functions with this website... Twitter allows you to send 160-character (I think) messages to your "followers" whenever you feel the need to tell them what's going on in your life. Think in terms of the folks that are posting updates about their battle with cancer, chemo treatments, etc. on this site... They provide an update on what they are going through, how they feel, etc. We respond with encouraging words like "keep up the good fight". That's the basis for twitter. We also have everyone's "first 25 straight", "first 100 straight", etc. posted on this site. It's enjoyable for most to join in on congratulating or consoling fellow members of the site. I'm not sure why some would consider that concept juvenile and/or sophomoric. Some of the content on twitter may fit that category, but the concept is the same as this site.

Steve, in your case you could have posted a lot of your updates on the botched reload component recovery saga using twitter. I think you might have an issue with the 160-character limit, though -- not much room to tell a story in 160 characters.

--Dan

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I use twitter, but only for professional purposes. A lot of us from the Emergency Management and Homeland Security sectors are on there and talk with each other about contracts and events. I also use it for the Dressage industry to keep up with certain trainers with whom I'm connected...it's not personal stuff, again it's just events and scores.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Good question Steve, I too would like to know. So it appears that it is a multible person website made from different people all of which agree to be in the circle or loop. Every message is given to all people at the same time in the circle/group. Is this the same a facebook??? Or is facebook different somehow. Thanks in advance for any info!!! Break-em all. JEff

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Facebook is different. Much different. The only people that can see your facebook are people who you allow, unless you have made your page public (I don't). Anybody can see your Tweets, and they can become followers of your tweets at their own will. If you are following one specific Tweeter or more, those Tweets are always at the top of the feed when you open your account.

At least that's the way I understand it. I use Facebook as a photo archive, and to talk with my kids, friends, and family. My whole family is on it. It's cheaper than texting, unless you have unlimited texts, and it's easier than typing on a cell phone. But I hardly ever use Twitter. I don't really care for it that much.

9. senior smoke

So far it does not interest me. I can go on this site at anytime 24/7 and tell people about shooting related items, or non related items. Like Dan said, only 160 characters? I's probably need a few thousand to be on the safe side. I feel like a dinosaur at times with all this new technology.

If I was on the twitter I would tell people that I lost 7lbs. Losing 7 lbs. for me, is like a deck chair falling off the Queen Mary. I only have 196lbs to go. My doctor is finally get some control of my blood pressure. Two weeks ago it was 190/98. He's been trying different meds and yesterday he said my bp was 146/71. He feels that's still to high.

I better go, as I have to pick up my aunt as she wants to visit her sister.
    Thanks for the info. By the way, I am looking to shoulder the new Ithaca model 37 trap pump. I am hearing good things about it. Hard to find.
    Steve

10. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

It is the area between the Tw$$t and the Shi##er

11. senior smoke

Sprinklerman:
    Now that's funny!!!
    Steve

12. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

This post thread really cuts to the generational gap in our society. I being 32 years old am of the Twitter/Facebook generation. Highly computer literate, IPhones, IPads, wireless Streaming media to my entertainment center. That being said I do not post on my twitter account and never have since I got it over 2 years ago. I rarely use face book for anything except posting pictures of huge meals I have cooked. My wife posts our vacation pics and other various crap that I can't imagine anyone caring about but her and I. Facebook and Twitter and reality TV IMHO opinion are part if the overwhelming narcissism that is causing the degradation of this country. More people vote on American Idol than vote in the general election. That's sad, and it works both ways for both party's. (non political statement, not taking sides). Americans care more about flashy cars and designer clothes than they do about saving for there future. It seems that we have fallen into the trap of all flash no substance. Everyone wants there 15 minutes. I think twitter/Facebook give people that feeling of fame that they will never have.

This form of communication is in fact the way of the future. Facebook helped me keep in touch with my NY friends when I lived in FLA. I have 4 email accounts linked to my IPhone. As a matter of fact I don't think I could live without it. I am actually posting this from the IPhone as we speak. Go figure!

Christopher Monaco

13. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

This post thread really cuts to the generational gap in our society. I being 32 years old am of the Twitter/Facebook generation. Highly computer literate, IPhones, IPads, wireless Streaming media to my entertainment center. That being said I do not post on my twitter account and never have since I got it over 2 years ago. I rarely use face book for anything except posting pictures of huge meals I have cooked. My wife posts our vacation pics and other various crap that I can't imagine anyone caring about but her and I. Facebook and Twitter and reality TV IMHO opinion are part if the overwhelming narcissism that is causing the degradation of this country. More people vote on American Idol than vote in the general election. That's sad, and it works both ways for both party's. (non political statement, not taking sides). Americans care more about flashy cars and designer clothes than they do about saving for there future. It seems that we have fallen into the trap of all flash no substance. Everyone wants there 15 minutes. I think twitter/Facebook give people that feeling of fame that they will never have.

This form of communication is in fact the way of the future. Facebook helped me keep in touch with my NY friends when I lived in FLA. I have 4 email accounts linked to my IPhone. As a matter of fact I don't think I could live without it. I am actually posting this from the IPhone as we speak. Go figure!

Christopher Monaco

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

senior smoke, America loves Springer wether they admit it or not. Just the internet version.

15. senior smoke

Christopher:
    Very interesting response you made. My grandsons 6,and 5, know more about computers than I do as they have them in kindergarten. You sound like you have your head on straight.
    Steve

16. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Thanks Steve. It's funny you can hand a 3 Y/O an IPad and they will probably figure it out within 20 minutes. My grandfather, when he was alive, needed me to program his VCR. My uncle bought him a computer once and he made him return it. He was scared of technology but he fought in the Pacific in WW11.

17. senior smoke

cmmonaco78:
    I am the same way. I have received gifts in the past that I had no idea how to work or set them up that I gave away. A few years ago I won something called a Black Berry, gave it to my niece. I have a new tv recording machine in my closet that was to complicated. In 1972, I remember working at the bank and my manager called the employees to his office after hours. He had just purchased a new thing called a calculator for $100.00. Today, they cost $1.00 to $5.00. It was rather big by today's standards. No one knew how to work it, as he had to read the instructions. We did not have actual computers at the bank yet.

Years ago, in order to work in a bank, you needed to be pretty good at math as we had to figure out interest manually.
    Steve

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

as an aside, i heard a michio kaku interview a few weeks ago where he stated that everything on your ipad, and more, will be integrated into a contact lens within the next 20 years or so. good luck with it

19. senior smoke

In my opinion, the world was a better place before computers.
    Steve

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I just farted.

Going to get coffee now.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.