1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the true definition of a handicap load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Everyone says the word but what does it really mean?

Faster, larger shot size, bigger payload, tighter patterning, or "yes"

regards

and Who wants to be the fisrt smarta$$? :)

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Anything bigger and or faster than your "singles load." Whether it makes any difference or not, ballistically.

Neil

3. perazzitm

perazzitm Member

I consider my handicap load 1 oz of 8's going 1250 fps ( My handicap is 24.5 yards ) and my singles and doubles load 7/8 oz of 8's going 1200 fps. What ever you are comfortable with ( recoil and shell speed ), I know people that shoot high velocity 7/8 oz loads with #9's from 27 yards and they are great shooters. If you are on the target you are going to break it. Those shells marketed as handicap loads seem to have a lot more recoil ( due to the increased velocity trying to push 1 1/8 oz ) and after shooting 100-200 handicap targets in a day I personally get a little beat-up by them.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A handicap load is 1 1/8oz. of 7.5 shot at 1200 fps. or better anything less is for the girl scouts .

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bruce EM,

Let me be the first Smarta$$. A handicap load is what you shoot handicap targets with. True enough? The actual load can vary by the individual requirements you have. Your yardage, tolerance to recoil, the weather, your barrel, gun, and choke, will all factor into what the ideal load for your situation is. Personal opinion, preference, and experience will also be a factor. Whether you reload or not can also determine what you shoot. For some people, the same load is used for 16s, doubles, and caps. For others, there is a specialized load for all situations.

Traditional thought seems to prefer a 1 1/8 oz load of 7 1/2s at 1200 to 1250 fps. Sort of like a size 11 shoe being used as a "One Size Fits All" solution for all guys.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

A little more than 1 1/8 oz of shot going a little faster than 1200 f/s; may even have a little larger shot than 7 1/2.

Definition of "a little": Within SAAMI standards.

Jason

7. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

At one time shotgun shells were marked with dram eq, shot size and shot weight. Since trap was limited to 3 dram shells and trapshooters are always looking for an edge, some of the makers started making "handicap" shells which conveniently forgot the dram eq. The were in reality 3 1/4th dram or more, but since they didn't say that on the box they were considered legal and widely used because of their high velocity.

Now that trap has increased the velocity limits for shells, there is less need for such chicanery by the ammo makers. In reality, though, there is no actual definition of a "handicap load" since each ammo maker is free to decide what they want to call a handicap load. This is all as clear as mud.

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

A handicap load for me is 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's @ 1100 ft. per sec. Works for me, I don't need the added recoil that extra speed brings with it.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

In some places it's 3 and a quarter, 1 oz. and a quarter of copper plated 6's.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Milkbone- The ATA has never increased the legal velocity of shells. The only thing that was changed was to set a maximum velocity. Prior to that, most of us believed that 3 dram equivalent meant 1200 ft/sec, but we were wrong. Three dram equivalent was defined by the industry to include any shell with a velocity between 1110 ft/sec (too slow for trap) and 1290 ft/sec (too hot for trap).

Pat Ireland

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm suprised, no one has mentioned hardness of shot as part of the requirement.
    I only use a true magnum shot in my Caps loads. By true I'm meaning Lawrence, Remington or West Coast Brands. 1 1/8 Lawrence 7.5's or 8's, Downrange 4 petal blue wad, International powder kills them from the 27. Dave T.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NO one around here uses anything but hard shot. The Chilled (soft) version has disappeared from sales outlets. Bernie Faskell used to sell a Blue Bag shot called "Drop Shot" which had zero antimony, even softer than chilled. The usage was nuclear reactor casings and sailboat keels.

HM

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Funk & Wagnalls defines HANDICAP as "a condition imposed to equalize the chances of competition..." some of the examples offered...

"... carrying of extra weight, requirement of greater distance, later start than is assigned to an inferior competitor..." some of that applies to shooting.

I don't know what the "true" definition of a handicap load is, BUT I use the concept of "handicap" differently than most. I handicap my loads by making them lighter - slower speeds, lighter payloads... pushing the boundaries of what is possible/usable at the other extreme.

We can all throw upwards of 9/8 oz of #7.5 shot. We can push our lighter loads to 1290 fps. We know that those loads can break 100s of targets straight - it demonstrates focus and endurance on part of the shooter.

Could the same shooter, break those same 100s using lighter, slower loads. Would there be some satisfaction knowing he/she can break a 100/200 straight with 75% of shot everyone else is using, throwing the payload 15% slower?

I shoot for different goals. I may not break all my targets, (97/100 is my best yet), but am I not in competition with myself?! Your situation is different, as is our opinion of handicapping.

regards to all,

Jay

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

3 dram, 1.12 oz of 7.5

15. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Pat, what you say is true, but I didn't want to make the mud any thicker with all that. The fact is that the rank and file shooters considered the rule change to be a velocity increase- perception is reality, as they say.

16. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Many time All American Ron Alcoriza shot 1 1/8 OZ. Winchester "Superlite" 8's from the 27. He also shot the same shell for singles and doubles. When he shot the 27 it was his "handicap load". Keep it simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is a handicap load