1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what is the setting on a mec adjustable bar 1 oz

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Higbee, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Higbee

Higbee TS Member

What is the number setting for 1 oz #8 shot on a adjustable bar Mec?

2. Higbee

Higbee TS Member

yes I'm going to be using a scale. Looking for a starting point! Or what people are using?

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Just dial it in, you need the practice with the scale, I use electronic digital
    scale, You will need the practice on the Powder drop also, and make several weight drops after getting it set, One warning always be turning the dial in for the weight adjust ment and it will have less chance of changing,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

between 6+0 and 6+15 on mine. It actually changes with each bag of shot.

Kip

5. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Forget those indicator gradations, they are not reliable (my opinion).

Work with digital scales, start on the low side and gradually work up to the desired weight you want. Make sure you have all the “FREE” play out of the spindle.

If you over shoot the desired weight, turn back two full turns and creep up to your desired weight.

I have been using an adjustable charge bar since July 2002 and would not be without them. They are somewhat finicky to work with, however, once you get accustom to using the adjustable charge bar, you won’t go back to bushings.

I just finished 1000 shells; I check two shells out of 25 for the powder drop. My desired weight is 18 grains. I did not get any drops greater than 18.1 or less than 17.9.

Believe me, the adjustable charge bar will accomplish your desired weight, just be patient.

Frank

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

438 grains for 1 oz. 492 for 1 1/8oz. Pull Bang is right about the bar "floating" till it's set right. Remember, vibration settles shot and powder. It often takes ten rounds of loading to get'r dialed in. Weigh 10 powder drops before loading 4 boxes.

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

7+10 will get you in the ball park. Don't forget the scales. West Coast shot.

GOOD LUCK

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...or you could just use a MEC 1-oz. bar . . .

Neil

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try Shootingchrony.com web sit is a bit tough to navigate. above may get you close to what you are looking for. of course depending on the hardness of the shot the volume to weight will vary. only people I know who do not like the uni bars, impatient,do not read,install or use correctly. I get many loader in with the little dial lock screws removed, it keeps throwing drops that are off?????

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm with the bar-and-bushing set. I owned one of those adjustable son-of-a-hickories for an entire afternoon once before writing it off as an exercise in frustration. Once I know how much powder of the lot I'm currently using each bushing drops, I can change a bar and/or bushing in seconds without dragging out a scale and adjusting the bar to get the drop I want, so I fail to see the magic.

But if a guy wants to drop exactly an ounce of shot with a bar (or bushing, in the case of some loaders), he'll likely either have to use chilled shot or open his bar or bushing up a smidge because they drop between 1/16th and 1/8th of an ounce light with hard shot. I guess they're made that way so you can't be over what you want in the event that amount is the legal limit.

Ed

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have several adj bars and love them. Do you have the set up sheet that came with yours. It lists your basic setting and then you can dial it in with your scales. If you don't have it email me and I will send you a copy. Jackie B.

12. Higbee

Higbee TS Member

Dear Mr Flincher 100 and Mr.EE. Let me start off by saying thanks for the great responses. You 2 guys are fine pieces of work. Everyone else has helpful things to say, than we have you 2 smart a**es. Just so you know I do weigh things out. I got a new reloader with an adjustable bar, but no directions on the adjustable bar. It was set up correctly. Which I did weigh things to make sure. Last I would really like to know where you 2 shoot so, I make sure I never go there. So please tell all of us where you 2 shoot. Thanks

13. Higbee

Higbee TS Member

Flincher I guess I dind't want to take a lot of time and was looking for a starting point. Maybe you don't shoot because you flinch to much. Any way enough. In the future please don't response to any of my post's...

14. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

higbee4, hang in there. If you don't know the answer, there are no dumb questions.

Tron,(ha) hang on, I think he's about to give up. GOOD LUCK

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I am a member of the adjustable charge bar group myself. I messed with the bar/bushing scenario for far longer than I should have. I had lots of different bars and bushings, all marked with what I thought they would drop, and everytime I set them up, they weighed different than what they were marked. Just more hassle than it was worth to me. The adjustable charge bar is a breeze to dial in, once you understand how it works, and is far more accurate than any bar/bushing combination I ever used. Yes, a scale is essential when using an adjustable bar, but it's also essential with the bar/bushing combo. Both will work well, and do a great job. It just depends on how particular one is in making ones reloads. I want them to all be the same, every time, so I use the adjustable bar. It just works very well for me..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. sweeper1

sweeper1 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.