Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the scoop on lead at trap clubs?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Lead Man 
#1 ·
Do the environmentalists have trap clubs in their sights? I would think they would be very upset about the lead.

What will we shoot if they ban lead shot? (not who -- what)

How much does the alternative cost per box compared to the current commercial stuff that runs about $6.00 per box on sale?

Lou

#2 ·
Lou,

Steel shot is your alternative. Prices are comparable. Found AA steel shot shells for $5 at Wal Mart. The problem is they are boomers; very fast.

The nice thing about steel shot is the price is constant. It hasn't changed in the last four years. The bad thing is it packs less punch, so you do need to shoot a faster shell. 1325+ fps for 1 oz is overkill. I load 1225 fps for 16s and buy house shells for yardage. They're $7 a box and they get up and go at 1300 fps. When I'm done I go see my chiro (kidding).

For reloading we use special wads with thicker petals to protect your barrel. They cost more but the shot is cheaper so it's a wash.

Guys are always afraid to use the same chokes, but I'm not. I think the gun companies tried to cover their butts by suggesting more open chokes to hunters using very large sized shot for waterfowl. We use size 7 steel and it's fine. Many a fine trap gun has seen lots and lots of steel through it with no ill effect.

The Park District monitors water run off on the pond next to our field. They have yet to find lead in it. I think it's the sound people don't like. If we could shoot without the boom, most everybody would leave us alone.

#7 ·
While the shooting sports industry is committed to lead, you better watch what's happening with the military and their alternative materials... while I would not expect a complete changeover any time soon, look at hunting regs - non-lead ammo for use in waterfowling has embedded itself now for years, as well as many government parks adopted it also for upland.

Good science is the key to stave off fear and knee-jerk reaction... but if switching to steel meant not shooting, I wouldn't bite off my nose to spite my face - I rather switch than quit something I truly enjoy.

For clubs which shoot into running water or truly navigable waterways, they better watch out... the Clean Water Act has teeth and unfortunately our range has given the democratic EPA precedent to act.

At $3/box reloaded, I can plink at 16-20 yard targets with little or no recoil. Mid yardage costs me a bit more and I'll buy a few boxes for the back fence games...

Respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

#9 ·
If more clubs would quit sticking their heads in the sand and get BMP (Best Management Plan)done the problem would solve itself. All it is is a plan to manage lead in the earth and control leaching. Get a plan and follow the plan that way when they come and start asking question you are prepared for it.

There are a few companies out there that are qualified, Dick Pedacord (? spelling) is probably the best with an NRA endorsement. They cost anywhere from $2k to $5k but will save 10's of thousands in legal fees if attacked by the looney left.

Bite the bullet and clear those trees to make reclaim easier, put in silt fencing to prevent the lead from leaving the club property. Lead is not a hazardous material when on the property but they will tear you a new one for not containing it.

We are our own worst enemies by not preparing. PM me and I will hook you up with a good company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.