1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the reason some do not use real name?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 19, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    What do you think is the reason some do not use their real name on this site? If you do not use your real name, please tell me why not, just curious?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

In my case I have a unique last name and can easily be located. No, I am not a wanted outlaw, I just do not want to make it easy for some low life to know that this guy has firearms and where they are located.

Pat

Chance McCall thanked this.
  3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Steve:

I think for a lot of people, it is because everyone in the world that has an internet connection can look at this site. Having your name and town, it is not hard to have a map in just a few minutes, that will take them to your house. If a thief were looking for high dollar guns, or any guns to steal for that matter, this site would be a gold mine for data. I think we tend to forget that this is site is probably visited by lots of people other than trapshooters. Just my thoughts.

Bob

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

For me it is the the old CB radio days.."whats your handle good buddy!! "

Or I am so much cooler online???

Also i dont want all my old girlfriends to find me. HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

WB

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I am in the Federal Protection program and have been advised that it could be fatal ... My real name is Juan Garcia Romero Gomez Gonzolaz Barrazza (not in that order) and it would take to long to type it in all the time, so I go by my initials ... WPT ... (YAC) ( not in order either)

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm in HELL,MICHIGAN... not a lot of Perazzi's in this town (village, spot in the road, etc..)

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

From some of the comments I have read on here, it's obvious why some don't use their real names. Many ts.comers wouldn't have the guts to say things face to face that they say on here. It's easy to hide behind a computer screen and insult others when there is no recourse except to return the insults. Larry Evans

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

To each his/her own...

Ron Burr

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

After last week, I guess it could be fear of being audited (repeatedly).

Bob Falfa

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I use the name as they call me at the range when it's my turn to shoot, many people knew me by that.

But I use one of my rental address in a near by city, where the tenant is a personal friend. A retired LE who is always home to receive my packages.

11. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

The system wouldn't let me register under a "handle". My attempts were rejected several times for different names I use regularly on other websites. Finally, when I tried to use the name of my maternal grandfather I got on.

Signed,

Chris K.

12. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Simple why I don't, Thieves. As Lib heads are the thieves and lib heads feel great about targeting conservatives and all the more "conservative shooters". I would bet they go out of their way to look for us. Or maybe because we are too trusting which makes it easy for them. Feeling good about posting ones ID is not worth the risk, if you go to "any" forum it is rare to find someone posting their real name or any part of an ID. Anyone that does post their name and particulars is in denial of what goes on in cyberspace. JMHO

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=293382&Messages=19

CM

13. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

I don't know why I don't!!!! Joe Stewart

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Because there's such a thing as privacy. If someone "needs" to know my name, I'll furnish it to them. Such as when corresponding with people here via email, making purchases, etc.

I especially think it's an issue giving personal info out while showing photos of a gun collection, particularly one that has suppressors, etc., in it. The last thing I want is to provide information that will lead to a burglary or having to call the coroner for cleanup.

And look how some liberal crapheads are using 'swatting" to make false 911 calls that get a SWAT team showing up at the homes of people they disagree with.

15. In Clay We Crush

In Clay We Crush TS Member

That's what Face Book is for.

I like some of the creative names on here. People will always hide behind a computer. Even if they post the real name. The identity and possible burglary attempts shouldn't be argued by any logical person.It does make sense.

sincerely yours,

Elvis Presley

16. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I am with Brian, if someone has a need to know my real name, I will provide it via PM or email. I do not make insulting or controversial posts and certainly am not one of the 'tough guys' behind the keyboard.

Ontario Chris

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree with the posters who say it is about security, my name is real rare as a matter of fact I think I am the only John Doe in the country

John

18. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 Trap Special TS Supporters

A certain amount of privacy is a good thing. Never know who is trolling these sites. My username is the same on the other shooting forums that I frequent. So my friends know who I am. I will sign off with my first name occasionally. If I buy or sell, I will give my full name. Dominick

19. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

When you see a name why do you assume that it's the posters "real" name? The phone book is full of "real" names, pick one.

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Its how we done it in 97.

Today as others say, matter of security. Steve do you realize how much info can be obtained today with a legitimate name? Scary!