1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the proper shooting stance?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have been reading some trapshooting instruction books by James Russell and have grown confused by the drawings in the book when compared to the text. What do you folks consider the best shooting stance? Should a person stand open, thus sort of facing the trap with shoulders squared? I think Russell is suggesting you stand at a perfect 90 degree angle to the trap. Help. What is correct?
    Martinpicker (Jack Farrow)

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What ever is confortable for you. I stand being right handed with my left shoulder foward. I can turn or twist with ease to the right and left without binding or feeling strained within the target flight. Each station is diff.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Trash the book and watch the experts, adapt for ease for you as the Auctioneer said in what's comfortable for you.

Hap

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The stance should be such that you are comfortable when the shot is fired.

Front knee slightly bent, swing area covering all possible target angles.

Go to Remington website and read the Trap fFundamentals PDF.

HM

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You want a stance that allows you to move freely without binding up with the gun mounted. Also a position that allows a head position where your eyes can see the bird exit the house on all angles. Remingtons site or Whiz Whites site will have excellent advice.

Jim c

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Standing, facing the trap house. It was the way I was taught and it still works!

7. butcher

butcher Member

Squaring to the trap house restricts your movement to the right. The tips of your toes should be parallel to the hard left angle target on each post unless you are left handed then they would be parallel to the right angle. That should be a good starting point for you. You want to be comfortable and not bind up and restrict your swing, especiallt on angle targets.

PS Although I have never read the James Russell books, but a lot of other threads in the past didn't think much of them.

8. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Trapshooting USA magazine recently had an excellent article by Richard Marshall Jr on the seven deadly sins of trapshooting.

For foot positioning [right hand shooter],post 1 lines up the tip of the toes about 10 degrees clockwise from full square to the house. He keeps rotating CW so that at post 3, he's turned almost 45 degrees, and at post 5, he's at about 80 degrees.I see many shooters doing this naturally. as I do. It works great.

Ned

9. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

A rule of thumb that works for me, a right hand shooter. Comfortable stance, feet under the shoulders and I draw an imaginary line from the back of my right heel past my big toe on the left foot, to the center of the field. Works for me in all disciplines.....GOOD LUCK

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you are shooting good,don't change your stance. As an example,I am a right hander & have trouble going to the right. So I drop my right foot back and favor a right target on every post,this helps. Keep your feet approx. shoulder width and lean slightly forward. If left angles give you trouble,set up slightly more to the left dropping your left foot back. If you do most things wrong but break the target,thats what counts. I have watched many a good shooter with what most would consider a bad stance. Clyde Doll

11. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Thanks much for the input. Martinpicker (Jack Farrow)

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo, Harlan and Rick stand strate p and lean in at the ankles. It is not easy.

13. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

My .02 on this is to re-iterate what several others above have said.

Go to Remington.com and download "Fundamentals of Trap Shooting".

The "basic" proper shooting stance is toes parallel to the line of Station 5 for all stations. covered in the download.

Next you will learn where to point the gun over the trap house for each station. also covered in this download.

Then you will learn all of the "Leads" for the different targets from every station. also covered in this download.

Then you will learn all of the leads for shooting doubles. You will have to decide if you want to shoot the straitaway target first or always shoot the right target first. also covered in the download.

If you position this printed out instructional near your toilet you can review it many times. You need to review it many times because there is way too much to fully comprehend in one or two readings. I mean you need to study it on a regular basis until you actually understand what it says.

Then you must learn how to actually point your gun to the correct position for every target. This actually will require practice, however it will require less practice if you learn all of the afore mentioned things first.

The last thing you have to learn how to do the text does not cover. You've got to get your ability to concentrate on the game completely under control. This also requires practice, and many never achieve it.

Once you have accomplished all of this you will be good and people will ask you what they are supposed to do. You can tell them "all you have to do is go to Remington.com and read the instructions"

All of my 800 rounds of trap shooting this life time have been according to this simple text. I will break 25 strait this weekend. Not bad considering I have only shot trap 4 times. My club only shoots once a month and we shoot 2 rnds of singles, 2 rnds of caps, 2 rnds continental, and one round of doubles. So collectively I have shot 8 rnds of singles, etc. I had 2-24's 2- 23's and 1-22 and 39/50 doubles last time out. So I think I'm ahead of the curve for the amount I have done this sport.

All because I found the source for the fundamentals right after the first time I went. It explains in simple detail what you must do to compete in this sport. I do this same thing for everything new I get into. It's called "doing your homework" How well you do your homework governs how well you do in class.

This technique of learning the fundamentals is Key to learning how to do anything. The big problem we run into is who to listen to. I'm not saying that Remington is the best or only source for this information, but I am saying they are probably "one of the best sources". After all they have been involved in the sport for many more years than anyone here at Trapshooters.com has been alive.

Here's another good reason to go to Remington.com,,,,It's free!

Randy

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Randy , I like it. Wifey might not like it glued to the wall, but.....

HM

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Upright!

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ergonomically speaking (based upon human physical design), you should stand comfortably, with a tad bit more weight on your forward foot, and a line drawn across the tips of your toes, should always be parallel to walk-way of Post 5.

The converse is true for left-handers.

Don't squat (some guys make me think they are in the out-house). Stand erect, weight a bit forward. The forward weight helps to alleviate felt recoil, and tends to help keep your head on the stock - VERY IMPORTANT for doubles shooting.

Now, when environmental conditions change, such as wind left-to-right, then turn (IN BABY STEPS) WITH the wind, and conversely so.

Now, as with dealing in generalizations, a blanket "cure-all" statement is silly. Some shooters shoot well using different stances, but you must remember that if they shoot well, they have practiced their stance many, many times. Don't go and mimic someone and expect great advances in scores.

These basics are meant to take the best advantage of the human skeleton, permits smoother swings, etc.

All of this is mentioned in the <i>"Trapshooting with the Remington Pros"</i> by the late D. Lee Braun. MOTORDOC here on this site sells that DVD. It's an oldie, but a good one, because it stresses the basics of stance, holds, shooting, and follow-through.

17. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

http://remington.com/~/media/Files/Brochures/trap_fundamentals_2004.ashx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best shooting stance trap

best stance for shooting trap

best stance when shooting trap
proper gun stance
proper stance for trap shooting
proper trap shooting technique