1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the proper scorekeeper behavior?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

When I lived in NY, the score keeper would call, "Lost", on a missed target; "lost/Dead" "Ready/Out" when the station was finished and would call out the number of "Dead" targets on each change. When the round was over they would call out each score in order of station number.

Now I shoot in FL and they only call "Change" or "Walk" at the end of a station and never indicate a lost bird or the score of a round. What is the standard at your club?

bustclays

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Let me guess...lots of piercings and iPod always plugged in...

3. BustClays

BustClays Member

Hey b-g, you got too much time on your hands, I was hoping for a serious answer.

bustclays

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Bustclays,

Don't know where you're talking about down here in S. Florida but at Markham Park the scorers always call out the scores on a post change. Crevat: not always for practice but always during an ATA shoot. If the scorers aren't doing their job during a tournement then you should mention it to the scorer or shoot management.

Eric

5. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Depends on how they were taught. The scorekeeper should ask how your squad wants it done and comply with your wishes.

The Bayrat

6. BustClays

BustClays Member

Hey gmag, I agree. I was taught to get out of the way of the shooter moving from 5 to 1, most guys just stand there and make him walk around. Frequently shooters make the move from 5 to 1 with their gun barrels passing way too close to other shooters. Too bad we seem to forget the "niceties" of our sport sometimes.

bustclays

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

When I score (which is often), I call lost. I also call dead and change and/or out, lost and change and/or out. I clearly call failure to fires, no targets, broken targets, etc. I also promptly and clearly call out the scores at the end of each post. I turn off the voice calls whilst the shooters are moving and wait for the person moving from post 5 to post 1 to get set before turning it back on.

Yesterday, I had to tell a new shooter that he could not shoot a stray target -- he had to call for one (that was a new one for me). The round finished just fine after that.

I'm on the West Coast -- this is the way I was taught when I first started scoring, shortly after I first started shooting. This is what we do here.

My 2 cents only.

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bust Clays,

What you apparently were hoping for was a serious scorekeeper. You didn't specify whether it was registered or practice, but if they're not calling "lost," at minimum, they're not doing their job. They're sitting on the chair, collecting a paycheck while getting a tan. (And perhaps listening to their iPod).

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I score often and have been scoring since I was 10 years old in 1954. When a target is missed, I clearly call "los". In doubles, if the pair is broken, I call "ya". After the fifth shooter shoots his last shot on a post, I like to call "dead and move-- fives".

Pat Ireland

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

browning4me you said "Yesterday, I had to tell a new shooter that he could not shoot a stray target -- he had to call for one (that was a new one for me). The round finished just fine after that." I certainly hope you gave him a
    lost target for his little foray into the world of fun and games. If they were ATA targets that he was shooting at it is a lost target.

Under the No Target clause in the rulebook "6. When the trap is sprung without any call of pull, or when it is sprung at any material interval of time before or after the call of the contestant, provided the contestant does not fire. If the contestant fires, the result must be scored."

Bob Lawless

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

1. we usually can "unload and change" at the end of each station.
    2. one thing i do not like is some places call "ready" when the 1 shooter shoots his 5th target. that really disturbes the number two man. some places and mishigan dna PA do that. nothing against either state but just the scorer that does the. motordoc

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

motordoc- I also dislike a scorer calling something just after the lead off shooter shoots his last bird on any post. I watch all targets and several times I have turned to the scorer and stated "dead bird". I thought the scorer called the bird lost.

Pat Ireland

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

years ago i even got into a confrontation with a puller at a major shoot. i asked them NOT to say ready as I was on station 2. next change he said ready. i asked him to stop. next station he again said ready. same thing on the next station. peole on the squad thought i was going to wring his neck. He must have been deaf. could not get him so stop all weekend. boy was he annoying. motordoc

14. pa pete

pa pete Member

Before required hearing protection, they would sit about 3 yds. behind the shooters. With protection, about the 27! "...ost."
    "Pete" McDonough.

15. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

pa pete,

I think the move back came with the introduction of voice callers. They don't need to hear us any more.

tom

16. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Mr. Lawless, you bet I did...

We move the scorekeepers chairs (booths really) to about the 20 yard line for 16's and doubles and to the 30 for handicaps. Anything closer and we'd set off targets.

17. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

In registered shooting there are only two things I want to hear: (1) the word “LOST” loud and clear, where it applies, & (2) Instantly after the last shot is shot on a post, the number of broke targets for each shooter on that post, again, loud and clear.

Yes, there are exceptions. Broken target, or any other pertinent instructions.

I don’t like a score keeper that feels he must motor jaw. I.e. End, get ready, move, look ahead I’ll show you one, which is the squad leader’s job, ECT, ECT ECT.

Now in practice shooting depending on the shooters that are on the squad, (new shooters, non registered shooters, recreational shooters, ect.) some of the no no’s I mentioned, for safety reasons, are acceptable.

If you re going to shoot registered targets, than, it is your responsibility to learn squad etiquette and procedures, particular the number of shots fired per post!!!

Frank

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

being from the upper midwest (Iowa & northern Illinois) and have been a scorekeeper for about 40 yrs. we were trained to call EVERYTHING and as most shooters dumped shells into pocket of vest or coat they had no idea what shot they were on, so we always called the ready after lead off fired their last shot on that post so everybody knew it was going to be a move. and if you did not call the ready you usually got a real dirty look from all 5 shooters when you called (dead or lost) unload and change PLEASE, because it was the scorekeepers JOB to keep track of all of those things, shooters wanted to shoot not be scorekeepers.

when i moved to Ga. in 1986 & continued to shoot & be a scorekeeper, i almost had to learn all over again as most shooters kept shells in box & tossed empty's on the ground , (real no no), didn't want the scorekeeper to do or say anything except dead or lost & move.... oh well,, live and learn... Ross

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I do appreciate it when the chair calls change....

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ross, I don't know where abouts in Iowa you worked at, but I've been shooting trap in Iowa for well over 30 years, and no one has ever called ready after the No.1 shooter shoots his last shot.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.