1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the proper balance point?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I recently picked up a nice Beretta Silver Pigeon for shooting everything besides trap. It has short 26" barrels and a small field profile stock. The gun shoots great, but it feels horribly unbalanced in my hands. The stock is very light so when I hold it, it feels VERY front heavy. So last night, I figured I would add some lead shot into the stock so see if it would feel a bit better. After adding approx a pound (yeah I know a lot, but 1/2 pound didn't feel any different), it now feels much better balanced.

When I checked the balance points, it would balance right on the hinge pin before I added the weight and now with the extra weight it balanced approx 1" back of that. Is that right? What is the correct balance point?

Thanks

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I like them to balance at the hinge/trunion. I have break open guns with varying length barrels and they all balance within 1/4" of the hinge.

ss

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

Throw away the hinge pin idea. They move around (short action, long action, pump or auto). Use the trigger as a reference point because it relates to at least one of your hand positions that you use to determine the feel of balance. Most neutral guns will balance about 4.5" in front of the trigger. Competition guns are a little forward of that, and something less than 4.5" can begin to feel a bit butt-heavy.

Moving the balance point an inch is a bunch, but you said at the outset that the gun previously felt unweildy.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The only advantage I can see of having the balance point at the hinge is that it makes the gun easier to carry open on your shoulder. A balance point somewhere between the two points that support the weight of the gun (right and left hand) is necessary. This, of course omits any weight supported by the shoulder due to friction of the recoil pad. If your right arm is stronger than your left, shifting the balance point toward your right hand could be advantageous.

Pat Ireland

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think the balance point is very subjective. As I have aged, I have come to prefer a slightly butt-heavy gun but used to weight my guns' barrels. It comes down to whatever feels best to you.

Ed

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Alright so since there is no solid rule, I guess I will try to take it out this weekend and see how it performs. I am right-handed so I don't mind a bit of the weight towards the back.

Thanks guys

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Between your hands.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

For a pre-mounted shotgun for trapshooting, it doesn't matter much. For a hunting gun carried much more than shot, I like mine to balance between my hands for ease of carrying and throwing to my shoulder for a quick shot.

Hap

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Okay vpr80, I'll bite - how does being right-handed matter?

Ed

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Not very clear, but just a comment to Pat's last sentence of putting more weight on the stronger arm. So for me, that means moving it back.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

As we get older.. the balance point tends to move to the rear for many shooters.. I see many younger shooters do very well with a front heavy gun.. personally.. I like a lighter,quicker front.. 2" behind the trigger..as my balance point.

There is no one answer to this.. as everyone is different..

12. Maurice

Maurice Member

Tron is correct. It all depends where your hands are placed when the gun is mounted. I am 6'2" with correspondingly long arms and I hold the fore-end right out towards the tip, therefore the balance point is further forward to place it between my hands. The balance point should always be between the hands. Maurice ( The Brit.)

13. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

"Between" is somewhat subjective. Right now I have it "between" my hands and can't even imagine having BEHIND the trigger. Also I tend to hold the forearm at the very back so my hold is closer together, I don't like having my left arm stretched all the way out. It's not comfortable and harder to hold for me.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- I read your post quickly. You said you preferred something "butt heavy". What exactly were you referring to?

Pat Ireland

15. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

As my age increases, I tend towards butt-heavy-ness, too. I guess that's why I prefer my shotguns to be barrel-heavy; the offset helps balance me out. :)
    EVERY gun's balance point is "between the hands".
    I'll bet you could check 1000 O/U shotguns and every one would be within 1" of the hinge point.

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Except for trap, I like them to be slightly butt heavy--for trap SLIGHTLY AND I MEAN SLIGHTLY bbl heavy. 26 in.bbls are a little difficult to shoot well because you have to remember to keep swinging with them. I,ve seen trap guns so bbl heavy you'd have to have forearms like popeye just to hold them up. A gun that bbl heavy is to hard for me to start moving.

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There is no "correct" balance point. Further, it doesn't really matter. Once the gun is mounted it will swing similar to any other gun based on how the weight is distributed.

Think of it like this:
    Imagine a barbell. You can have 10olbs of weight on it and it will balance perfectly in the center. Now try to swing that thing. Alter the balance point by removing all the weight from one end. Now, you have 50lbs on one end. Put that weight at your shoulder and the bar will swing easily. Put that weight away from your shoulder and it will be impossible to swing. In fact, it will swing the same as the 100lb set up.

Weight distribution is the important thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
balance point for trap
competition rifle balance point

content

correct balance point for trap shooting gun
correct shotgun balance
proper butt weights in trap guns

proper shotgun balance

shotgun balance point