1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the powder of choice at 27 yards?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have been shooting scrap a lot lately using skeet loads at 1 1/8 oz shot. I have several powders but can't decide which to use and can't find my chart which listed powders for long yardage. I have 8 pounds each of 700X, Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique. I had been loading Red Dot for dove loads and trap at the 16 but my scores definitely improve with a hotter shell even with 7/8 oz lead. What do you recommend? I reload Nitro 27's and Win AA's hulls with Fio 616's and WAA12 wads. Recommendations please. Jackie B.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If a new shooter, I would be tempted to go with Green Dot.

However, Unique is a soft shooting powder, even with the Super Pigeon 3 1/4 X 1 1/4 oz field load.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon TITEGROUP!

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Take it from a guy that sells reloading supplies, and shoots what he sells. Red Dot is a great powder, but to me if you load it more than 1150fps it kicks the sh!!t out of me. Green Dot is a great choice to 1250fps. One of the best powders out there. Titegroup as mentioned by timb99 is gaining popularity. I vend @ alot of shoots. Mostly small, but some major. For porch shooting with quite a bit of shot Longshot is getting more and more popular. I agree with Mike, Unique has been a great powder forever! I use it in alot of loads! Try a few, and pick what works for you and your shoulder! PM, call, or email and I will share some recipes with you!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Titegroup seems to work well with warmer loads. I have used a little in shotshells, although it the powder of choice for use in my Dillon 1050 for high volume handgun reloading.

I would still use Unique if I were going to load 1 1/8 oz to the ATA maximum allowable velocity (ouch). I also use Unique in 20's and 28's. Since I load mainly Riefenhauser hulls, I prefer the bulkier flake powders.

I load the Super Pigeon load for dove and what few quail we have in the South.
    It does not break a target any harder than a good standard Trap load. My K-80 Unsingle gets real active, recoil wise, with that load. LOL

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I am interested by the 18.2 (I think) load of Green dot. I use 21.5 w/ Gray AA's and appropriate wad. PRETTY STOUT!! but does a good job. What Vel does your load produce?
    Sounds Good.
    Jim

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Green Dot is my choice for handicap loads, but I only load 1 1/8 oz of shot for handicap. If you want a soft shooting shell, increase the weight of your gun or decrease the weight/velocity of the shot. The burning rate of powders simply will not make an appreciable difference.

Pat Ireland

8. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

IMR 24.3 GR USED IT FOR YEARS

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Win.AA hull, fio616, WAA12 wad, 1 1/8 shot, 23.5 grains Green Dot,
    1250 ft/sec, 10,100 psi. Alliant reloading manual pg.20 Wayne

10. Shooting Jack

Thanks for your responses. I use Unique in my 28's and 20's and like it a lot. I have used 700x and red dot for years for skeet and 16 yd with good results. I usually shoot fair with the same loads for scrap but had several boxes of S&B's and Estates laying around with 3 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 7 1/2 and they made a considerable difference. The recoil didn't bother me but I don't want to load over 1 1/8oz of shot. I've set my 9000 up for 18.2gr of Green Dot and one of the 600's with Unique. I'll load a couple of boxes of each and give them a try this weekend. Thanks again. Jackie B.

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Wayne, I've always wondered if thats a typo in the book. First, it's difficult to get 23.5 gr. of green dot in winchester hull without crushing the wad. Second, how can an increase of 2 grains of powder be required by changing the primer, when Fio 616 is suppose to be comparable to win 209 primer. Kind of scary.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

21 grains of Green Dot, 1 1/8 7.5's, WW209, WW wad, WW case. I don't think there is a better load at the 27.

13. Shooting Jack

Shot410ga I looked at the Green Dot listing using Fio 616 and it listed 20 grains at 1200 fps at 9500 psi. It appeared to be the highest listing that came up on the Alliant site so I will give that one a try too. Wayneo listed 23.5gr of green dot but didn't find that recipe on the web site. Thanks Jackie B.

14. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

In my old book, it does list 23.5 grains of Greendot with a AA hull, AA wad, and a Fio 616 primer. Don't know if that load is in a new book.

15. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I will vote for green dot also.... I am loading 1 1/16 oz of 7 1/2 and it has done one heck of a job for me. .... Pat Ireland started me on green dot and I am tickled with it. I do not use it for 16 yard targets... I use red dot for that.... I like to use american made products as much as possible and I do not think that anyone can go wrong with these two powders...

Duckeye

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've come to the conclusion that powder choice don't matter much on the pads. Seeing a clay clearly with pointing properly breaks more clays than my choice of propellant. Hap

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Dove and shot410, I agree that the listed Green Dot of 23.5 grains is a bit of over-kill. Thats why I included the reference of the Alliant manual. Shooting Jack said he wanted hotter load, thats the hottest there is for Green Dot with a payload of 1 1/8 oz. shot. I personally load 21 grains for 27 yards. Wayne

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

That 23.5 gr load seems out of place in_my_opinion! If it is not and the plublished data is authentic, it definetly should be a wake_up_call to those that indiscriminately switch primers with no data to support change!!

How much wad pressure are you using to crimp this load?

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

When you get through dinking around there is only one good handicap powder and that it PB. 22 grains, soft, fast and light recoil.

Don

20. lewddt10

lewddt10 TS Member

BIGDON's got it right on the money. STS hull, remington 209 primer, figure 8 wad, 11/8 of 71/2 shot and 22.5 grains of PB powder is the way to go. PB powder is the best handicap powder. It is soft, fast, and light recoil.
    Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.