1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the POI of Perazzi fixed rib O&U barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dr.beav, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Is there a generally accepted range of the POI's of Perazzi over and under barrels, that have factory fixed ribs on them?? Seems to me like they all shoot rather flat?? What have you found?? Also, I am talking about the barrels themselves, and not about the effect you can get if you raise the comb or your head - raising the comb does not effect the POI of the barrels themselves. the beav

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Wrong. My flat rib MX -8 sporting barrels shoot 9" high at 28 yards. My MX-2000 ajustable rib barrels shoot 10" high @ 28 yards at the highest POI setting. Every gun is different. Don't assume anything.

3. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

My MX-8 with the beads stacked shots probably 60/40 perhaps a little more. Definitely shoots high.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

dr.beav you have me a little confused on this one.

"I am talking about the barrels themselves, and not about the effect you can get if you raise the comb or your head - raising the comb does not effect the POI of the barrels themselves."

If you don't have a stock how would you determine the hold point? To establish POI? You must have a POA to get a POI.

Bob Lawless

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

From a view point which your most likely to understand 35/65-75/25.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Apparently, they can shoot high or not. Mine have generally shot about where you pointed them with 1/2 stacked beads. Sometimes - too often - the lower barrel is a bit lower than that even. But as everyone reports, there's only one way to know.

Neil

7. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - maybe I can say this another way - what I was trying to find out about is if you aim the barrels like a rifle with both sights lined up and no adjustment for "stacking", where will a fixed rib Perazzi barrel most likley shoot. I understand from that point you start adjusting for "stacking" the beads and all of that, but those are shooter adjustments being made to the process. Are there models of the Perazzi O&U barrels with a fixed rib that do have a higher than 50/50 POI without shooter adjustments to sight pattern?? the beav

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Lined up that way, about straight is common, but by no means can you count on it.

Neil

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Flat rib.. no sights..50/50 and centered. Once you add a front and mid sight.. you view of the beads can change POI..

10. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

It depends on the barrel. Generally, Perazzi flat ribbed barrels that are classified as "sporters" or "olympic trap" are intended to shoot 50-50. Barrels intended for the American trap market or those sold as part of a trap combo set with fixed, ramped ribs around 1cm or higher generally shoot 60-40.

Nevertheless, a pattern board is the only way to be sure.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I added a universal single barrel to fit my MX3 and the O/U shoots about 6 inches high @ 35 yards both barrels with a bit of space between the beads. The single barrel with the same comb height has a figure 8 but shoots about 9 inches high @ 35 yards. I am probably too old to learn how to fiddle with an adjustable rib and I really like the look and feel of the MX3 fixed rib the way it is.

12. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

MX3K33 - I think you have a lead to where I wanted to go with this thread, and I think you may be correct, but I have no emperical basis for saying that. Has anyone found MX3K33's statement to be true? the beav

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

My MX-8 with stepped rib is 60/40 bottom barrel and 50/50
    top barrel. They definetly do not shoot high.

14. wlc

wlc Member

My MX14 shoots about 50/50, both barrels.

15. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

You people and your bead stacking drive me CRAZY. For God's sake throw away the middle bead,look at the target,set the gun up until it hits your cheek in the same place by FEEL and throws the pattern as high as you need it by adjusting the comb or lowering the front of the rib if it's adjustable. Different sizes of heads,faces and general physical differences wil make the SAME gun's p.o.i. different for everybody.Until a light bulb goes on in your head concerning this matter you are DOOMED to chasing bird/bead,stacking,crap and NOT hitting targets.

16. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

dr.beav. To try and put it another way, ANY fixed rib Perazzi O/U barrel set should not shoot higher than 60/40 (about 3in above POA @30 yds), unless custom ordered, so the gun will shoot essentially flat. If you need a higher POI, then invest in a set of adjustable rib barrels(MX2000RS), the proper adjustable stock, and set POI from 50/50 up to a max of around 80/20 (9in above POA @30yds). Trying to raise POI above 60/40 on fixed rib barrels by tinkering with sight picture can become too distracting for some, and you will probably end up with an adjustable set down the road. ( Been there, done that)

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to adjust perazzi high rib barrels

perazzi higher mid bead

perazzi mx14 poi

rib position on barrels determines poi

setting perazzi adjustable rib