1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Is The Maintenance Cost OF A Perazzi???????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I'm not real sure. I have put 25000 rounds through my MX2000 skeet gun since I bought it used with about 30-40000 rounds on it. So far $0 expeenses. My MX2000 Sporting gun has almost 20,000 rounds on it $0 spent. Both are MX8 type guns no broken trigger springs.

My 1979 model MT6 has had more repair expense. I had to buy a stock bolt for it once.

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it". I think Commodore Vanderbilt gave that response when asked the price of his new yacht.

3. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

riflegunbuilder, I have a type 3 MX8 and a TM1 and have the same experience as you. Glad I have a spring and firing pin kit I bought 15 years ago just in case. Live Well

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The #1 expense of a Perazzi is the locking bolt.. If you hold the top lever back.. and do not slam the gun shut..but close it.. and use your thumb to close the top lever.. It will last a very long time... The cost of replacing the bolt is about $300.. Somewhere about 250,000 rounds.. if you take care of your Perazzi.. the ears on the barrel will wear to a point they need to be rewelded.. That's another $150 plus a locking bolt to put you back to as the gun left the factory.. The #121 top lever return spring should be changed every 15,000/20.000 rounds.. $6.00 plus labor.. Normally done for the annual inspection $47.50 at the GRAND last year.. The firing pin springs will need changing now and then.. $6.00 each.. also done at the same time..

You'll need a new firing pin now and then $40.00 each but they usually live a long time.. The trigger will need a tune up about every 50,000 rounds or so.. $75.00 at Giacomo's.. A leaf spring for the hammers..$45.00 The average shooter might change 1 per year.. The bridal for the spring and the cross pin will need to be changed about every 100,000/125,000 rounds $45.00 each..

Forend catch bolt will need changing about every 100,000 rounds $32.. and the catch bolt spring every 200,000 but at under $20 might as well change them both..

All in all.. IF you keep your gun clean.. and lube properly..if you figure over the life of the gun $125.00 a year I think you'll be real close.. And your Perazzi will stay in top shape..

Any Perazzi well maintained should have a cheap to keep life of well over 500,000 rounds.. The big rebuild is new hinge pins..weld up barrel ears.. new locking bolt..refit barrel.. reblue.. refinish stock..The gun will be returned to you like new.. That runs about $1000.. but few shooters ever keep a gun that long..

95% of the Perazzi shooters will never break a top lever... BUT.. if you do.. it's over $350 to replace and fit.. This is pretty much the menu for money.. give or take a few dollars..

Remember.. in a Perazzi.. the locking bolt is the sacrificial part.. It's made to wear.. and be softer than the mono-block.. You WANT.. it to wear.. rather than the barrel ears.. BUT.. properly closing the gun can greatly extend its life.. All Good.. Mike

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Mike, thank you very much for the detailed reply!

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

EuroJoe, I ask and will always ask. Why? Because I'm not a fool with money.

I like to do my homework and know what I'm going to get into. I don't like to learn AFTER buying something that I shoudn't have bought it at all.

7. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I'm not real sure. I have put 25000 rounds through my MX2000 skeet gun since I bought it used with about 30-40000 rounds on it. So far $0 expeenses. My MX2000 Sporting gun has almost 20,000 rounds on it $0 spent. Both are MX8 type guns no broken trigger springs.

My 1979 model MT6 has had more repair expense. I had to buy a stock bolt for it once.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it". I think Commodore Vanderbilt gave that response when asked the price of his new yacht.

9. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

riflegunbuilder, I have a type 3 MX8 and a TM1 and have the same experience as you. Glad I have a spring and firing pin kit I bought 15 years ago just in case. Live Well

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The #1 expense of a Perazzi is the locking bolt.. If you hold the top lever back.. and do not slam the gun shut..but close it.. and use your thumb to close the top lever.. It will last a very long time... The cost of replacing the bolt is about $300.. Somewhere about 250,000 rounds.. if you take care of your Perazzi.. the ears on the barrel will wear to a point they need to be rewelded.. That's another $150 plus a locking bolt to put you back to as the gun left the factory.. The #121 top lever return spring should be changed every 15,000/20.000 rounds.. $6.00 plus labor.. Normally done for the annual inspection $47.50 at the GRAND last year.. The firing pin springs will need changing now and then.. $6.00 each.. also done at the same time..

You'll need a new firing pin now and then $40.00 each but they usually live a long time.. The trigger will need a tune up about every 50,000 rounds or so.. $75.00 at Giacomo's.. A leaf spring for the hammers..$45.00 The average shooter might change 1 per year.. The bridal for the spring and the cross pin will need to be changed about every 100,000/125,000 rounds $45.00 each..

Forend catch bolt will need changing about every 100,000 rounds $32.. and the catch bolt spring every 200,000 but at under $20 might as well change them both..

All in all.. IF you keep your gun clean.. and lube properly..if you figure over the life of the gun $125.00 a year I think you'll be real close.. And your Perazzi will stay in top shape..

Any Perazzi well maintained should have a cheap to keep life of well over 500,000 rounds.. The big rebuild is new hinge pins..weld up barrel ears.. new locking bolt..refit barrel.. reblue.. refinish stock..The gun will be returned to you like new.. That runs about $1000.. but few shooters ever keep a gun that long..

95% of the Perazzi shooters will never break a top lever... BUT.. if you do.. it's over $350 to replace and fit.. This is pretty much the menu for money.. give or take a few dollars..

Remember.. in a Perazzi.. the locking bolt is the sacrificial part.. It's made to wear.. and be softer than the mono-block.. You WANT.. it to wear.. rather than the barrel ears.. BUT.. properly closing the gun can greatly extend its life.. All Good.. Mike

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Mike, thank you very much for the detailed reply!

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

EuroJoe, I ask and will always ask. Why? Because I'm not a fool with money.

I like to do my homework and know what I'm going to get into. I don't like to learn AFTER buying something that I shoudn't have bought it at all.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Really.. the long term life of a Perazzi is done by checking.. and fitting the parts as the gun wears.. It's a tiny swipe of a fine file here.. and there.. and the pass of a hard stone somewhere else.. That part is learned by many.. many years of rebuilding.. and restoring Perazzi shotguns.. It's not in a book.. It's hands on.. Giacomo showed me a bunch... and Dan is showing me still more..and doesn't mind explaining the how and why to me... Even Luccio has given me a few pointers here and there.. Nothing beats pure numbers..and Dan and Giacomo have seen more Perazzi's than probably any other gunsmith.. anywhere in the world.. What a GREAT learning ground.. That's why you see me at the GRAND..I'm there to learn.. and learn.. and learn.. In 3 lifetimes.. I'll never know what Dan and Giacomo forgot about Perazzi's.. but I'm happy to try.. To me.. they are the KING of O/U's.. Their SBT's aren't bad either..

See you all at the GRAND.. Mike

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Good info. I also had to replace the forearm retaining bolt and the forearm button. I made the button a little longer so the next time the rod breaks I can file a flat spot and keep on going. I also made me a couple of cocking rods. Ray......

15. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Less than a Redhead!

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Anything with tires,ti s,or triggers will eventually cost you in the long run..The 3 T's of life..

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you want to double the life of your Perazzi, Shoot it in the Minnesota market.Everything is half the cost up here.

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

MIA, thats because you only get to shoot half as much. For 4 months, you shovel snow instead of empty hulls.

If you want buy a used golf cart or shotgun, buy it in Minnesota.

19. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Mike your post is interesting to me. The reason i am curious is this. I have been told by two other high end O/U gunsmiths to just shut the gun. Not slam it nor hold the lever with your hand. I have been told that is where some problems can start. The gun may not be closed all the way and the slamming is obviously not good. What is the reason Perazzi says to hold the lever over and shut the gun? Seems to me the gun and locking system may not be fully engaged which will leave "slack" and create premature wear. Just looking for actual facts not trying to doubt what you say. Obviously you have been around the ones in the know.

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Good question.. but the answer is a simple one.. You use the side of your finger to lock the top lever.. Then you are sure.. it's fully closed and not depending on a spring.. You'll feel it.. While I enjoy changing locking bolts.. and am pretty good at it.. as many would attest to.. I'd much rather you brag about the 129,000 rounds you've put thru you gun and not needed one..That makes me look really good.. i'm happy to detail clean your Perazzi.. change a spring or two..a firing pin once in a while..and NEVER need to take the big bucks for the locking bolt..

Having said all this.. I rarely close a Perazzi correctly..and do have to change mine more frequently than some of my friends who close it correctly..The choice is all yours.. and BTW.. it does not only apply to Perazzi shotguns..

Now comes the rank pulling.. if you have a gunsmith who tells you to just snap it shut.. IF they have worked on 10% of the Perazzi's as Dan or Giacomo has..I would pause to hear their reasoning.. It would be a very brief pause.. as I know Dan and Giacomo are right.. I've seen it first hand.. I have no dog in this fight.. as I said before.. I usually close mine wrong.. and choose to keep my vision downfield.. never looking at shell,bag,or gun for anymore than a glmpse.. But that's a whole different story and reason...

Hope this helps.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how hard is it to change a perazzi locking block

how many rounds before rebuild a perazzi

how much does a perazzi locking block cost
how much to install hinge pins on a perazzi shotgun
perazzi forend catch bolt
perazzi locking mechanism
perazzi maintenance video
perazzi mx8 top lever spring