1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what is the lube in those little expensive jars?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

perazzi grease, krieghoff grease, blaser grease. 10 bucks for a tiny little jar of the stuff? give me a break. what is it? i'll bet i can buy a quart for 5 bucks if i just knew what it was! thanks

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

If it's red, it's most likely synthetic wheel bearing grease.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Try a jar with the label says Holland & Holland.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Nothing Obama does is cheaper.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bag Balm works good too, and you can use it on your face when the stock beats you up.

6. Barry C. Roach

Use an FDA synthetic. Top quality lubricant, cleans off easily, wont stain clothing and best of all wont stain your wood.

7. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Lucas (waterproof) red marine grease is what I use. A buddy of mine uses Mobil 1 synthetic it is red also.

tom

8. Barry C. Roach

Loctite makes one called "ViperLube". Most industrial supply stores have it and you can buy it on line. I stuff it in those grease syringes and keep a couple of them in each gun case.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the oil that you use in a chain saw {the one that goes in the gas mix} is very good. It works on the gas tube and dont burn off. The name brands like husky and stihl dont have a odor. Q tip and you are good to go a little goes a loooong way.

10. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

We just did this same topic about a month ago - see

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=206622

Ted K.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ted- We have been covering this topic every 2-3 months for many years. My common on this topic has always been that the type of lube used is not real important. Shotguns operate under low pressure and low temperatures and place very little demands on the lubricant. Keeping the lube clean is the key, not what lube is used.

I now use Gator Tears but just about any lube will work well.

Pat Ireland

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Super Lube Synthetic (Nano) has been around for years. Hindge points, slides, choke tubes, comes in a convienient tube like tooth paste, can get it at a local industrial bearings, belts and drives house. Most if not all the "gun greases" with big names on them are bulls#!%.

If you have a hard time finding it shoot me a PM.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is extra virgin olive oil the best lube for a P gun? HMB

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Over 40 years of shooting I believe I've tried every possible lubricant know to mankind, except maybe frog spit! Here's what has always worked best for me on shotguns:

Red synthetic wheel bearing grease for hinge pins, ejectors, etc. In short, anything that slides or rotates and needs a pressure lube that won't run off.

I use Lubriplate on choke threads, gas pistons, or any place that needs a lube that involves a bit of heat. I discovered it's ability to withstand heat when I used it on the screws that held in the baffles on motorcycle mufflers.

Ed's Red, in addition to being a good bore cleaner and plastic wad residue remover, is also a pretty good fine mechanism lube (gas piston parts, triggers, etc.) if you mix up a batch and leave out the acetone.

Kiv

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Yes HMB, use virgin olive oil on your shotgun and put a good synthetic grease on your salads.

Pat Ireland

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

I use Gunzilla for everything

Doug H.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'm curious about how all you lube junkies who have tried everything and anything have actually decided which greases are good and which ones don't cut it?

Considering that anything slippery will make your hinges work, do you wait for the gun to seize due to lube failure before you decide that grease is no good? Do you line up a battery of SKF testing machines and subject each grease to exhaustive testing?

Or is grease like motor oil, religion and political parties: everyone SAYS that theirs is the best but nobody can PROVE anything.

MK

18. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I often wondered if some of these custom lubes (don't want to mention names and offend) were nothing but various greases from cartridges mixed together, re-packaged and relabled with some catchy logo on it. Can't beat industrial or automotive grades.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use CMD on hinge, forearm, and choke tubes, do not use it on Ljutic Cocking rod it is too thick especially in the winter if you don't want mis-fires, happem will drop very vveeeeerrrrryyyyy slllloooooowwwlllllyy

Do not use any grease of any kind on Ljutic Cocking rod, just a good oil,RemOil

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

I am with Pat Gators Tears......stays very clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.