1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the longest u have gone without any sleep?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have a distant relative that was recently in Europe on vacation. Due to unknown circumstances he had no sleep for 4 days. He also was dehydrated from lack of drinking.

His friend said that he started having hallucinations, as well as hearing voices. He was taken to a hospital and spent a couple days getting Iv's, food, and being see by doctors.

It is still unclear what exactly happened to him, but he is now home in the USA.

When I came home from the Army I went 30 hours without any sleep as I slept for 24 hours interrupted only by bathroom breaks.

What was the longest period of time you ever went without sleep and how did it effect you?
    Steve Balistreri

2. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Year before last I went 15 days without a second of sleep.I finally went to the Dr. because my wife insisted.He gave me sleeping pills.I slept for 3 days.Now I need pills occasionally but am more or less back to normal.If my wife had not made me go to the Dr. I would be dead or insane.I have never been a good sleeper but that episode was horrible.I don't know what caused it but after about 3 days I could not stop my thoughts.I would lay in bed and sweat worrying about not sleeping.Now if I go more than 2 days without sleep I take a pill.

Darr

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I remember it well.

This spring I managed to get Type 1 flu, even though I had received my shots.

This flu also triggered asthma in my lungs, or at least that is what the doctor said.

Before I went to the hospital I was coughing about every half a minute or so, trying to keep my airways clear.

They got me into the hospital and filled me with antibiotics and by the time I was able to get some sleep, I figured I had been up for 43 hours straight.

And I do mean up, as lying prone was not an option. I could not begin to breathe at all that way.

I never want to go through that again.

I honestly didn't know if I was going to live or die and to tell the truth, I was so sick I really didn't care.

I only wanted some relief from it.

Well, the antibiotics worked and everything is just peach marvelous now. Well, except for still missing targets that I shouldn't have missed.

Hauxfan!

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Eddie please! these are serious threads that Smoke puts out there! Bill

5. senior smoke

Sleep deprivation can be get very serious. My wife gets upset with me because at night while she's talking to me once I put my head on my pillow she said I fall a sleep. Half the time she thinks I am joking around but I am not. I have always fallen a sleep pretty quick.

A few times while I am sleeping I will jump out of bed and for a moment I don't know where the heck I am? Same thing use to happen when I was sleeping as a kid when the phone would ring for a moment I didn't know if it was the phone or the door bell. I can recall one time I woke up in the night and started getting cleaned up for work as I thought it was morning time.
    Steve

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Try being out 10 grand on 4 contracts of cattle futures, with the market limit down.

(You also get chest pains)

HM

7. 1100tt

1100tt Active Member

Hey Eddie Your story is more believable than Smokes. Oh wait Slayer is a believer.

8. schneep

schneep Member

Ann Landers wannabe

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience as Hauxfan...very bad bronchitis. After 3 days of not sleeping, they put me in the hospital (I was dehydrated, too). Cried, but no tears would come out

10. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

As a young 1st LT. in the Corps I went 62 hours on two hours sleep in our "three-day-war" exercise in March or April of '69. I think the longest stretch was just under 30 hours. I was not unique, however. There were five platoons of us doing the same thing. BTW, the two hours were not consecutive.

HBT

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

In 2008 our flight to Frankfurt got re-routed twice and put our trip seriously behind schedule and I got about 4 hours sleep in the next 90 hours trying to catch up....

12. senior smoke

Jon:
    Thank you for the kind words, as it's appreciated. I have a list of over 100 potential new threads sitting on my table. I hope you like them.
    Steve

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

1100..I didn't say I was a believer, just a fan! Bill

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Myself and another worker....Five days and four nights. Sitting in a cab of a diesel rig holding the accelerator pedal down a little to get the RPM up so the PTO pump would have adequate pressure for the pump to de-ice planes before takeoff.

On the fifth day an airport worker came and was banging on my cab door. I rolled the window down. He said the pump was going out. I told him "No, it was me." I told him I was falling asleep and when I did the tractor would start shaking and wake me up and I would then press the accelerator down and the engine would smooth back down. This would then get the RPM back up and the pump work as it should.

I drank Cokes and ate sandwiches left over from the flights. Would take a run to the outhouse between flights. Had to wait on a hard stand between flights and remain in the truck.

15. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

1967 Viet Nam infantry (Big Red One)I don't know how long it was, but it was a long time. I was to
    scared to sleep.

Bill

16. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks Bill for your service to our country and welcome home. I hear some real horror stories about soldiers over there staying awake for unbelievable amounts of time. Glad I missed that war. I turned 18 in '72. Bill

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

23 hours. Up at 6am on Tues went to a shoot left at 3 pm drove to the next state and then home. Got home Wed at 4 am and to bed at 5 am. Drove for 13 hours. Slept well too.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

14 months in Vietnam. I found out no one really needs any sleep....LOL

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I don't know. I was so tired, that when I fell asleep, I did not realize it.

20. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

1968 Tet offensive at Bien Hoa AB. 72 hrs. Probably 300 guy's with me.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.