1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the heaviest of the Walnuts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JimmyP, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Have an appointment with Wenig at the Southwest Grand for a new stock. I want the heaviest stock I can get. Which of the Walnut woods is the heaviest? I like a butt heavy stock along with a heavy gun to reduce recoil. I don't want any exotic wood like Ebony or such. Can someone tell me the weights of each strain of Walnut?Thanks

Jimmy

2. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Well I was going to say that ol Lee Gene Walnut down in Chester goes at least 380 but then I read the thread. Sorry, couldn't resist. gyrine

3. Guy

Guy Member

Bastogne

4. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The reality is that the density of the wood creates the weight, assuming that the water content is the same. The greater reality is that after shaping, inletting and drilling the through-bolt hole the difference in finished weight among the several walnut species is minimal. There may be a few ounces of difference, with Bastogne probably being the heaviest.

That leaves adding weight to your stock as the most likely way to produce a stock heavy gun.

Mike

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have Bastogne on my Seitz. It's heavy and of course very dense. Hard to checker, but makes very clean lines. I would think Clearol would be heavy too.

Be careful. Heavy wood can change the balance of your gun.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

A single tree ring will have softer lighter colored spring wood followed by denser darker summer wood. Formation of the spring wood requires a lot of water to make the larger cells with thinner walls. A tree grown in a dry environment will have less spring wood and will be denser than the same species of tree grown in a moist environment. The environment is the critical factor determining the density of the wood. A tree grown in a dry environment will have less softer spring wood than a tree grown in a dry environment.

The "different species" of Walnut are actually the same species (Jugland niger / Black Walnut) grown in different regions and given local names.

Pat Ireland

7. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

If I wanted to know that answer I would asd Wenig when you have a stock made, also if you are making a stock only you want to match your forend. Ronnie

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Jimmy: You might want to consider simply choosing the most beautiful piece of walnut for your stock, rather than worrying about weight. Then, by simply drilling a hole beneath the butt plate and inserting a slug of tungsten, you will be able to add much more weight than any difference in the wood density could ever make. A dab of epoxy or silicone caulk will make sure the tunsten doesn't move around and will still allow it to be removed if you ever want to adjust weight again.

-Gary

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I think Pat is right. Just pick out a heavy one when you get there.

10. high 2

high 2 Member

How heavy is a rock? It depends on the individual rock. Same with wood. I`ve worked Blank Walnut that you could use as an anvil. I`ve also had some I could cut with my thumb nail. Each piece will have it`s own propeties. The guys at Weing will know the good ones. Larry

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Larry- And each thumb nail will have its own characteristics. I suspect yours is dense.

Pat Ireland

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

As Gary stated ... just pick out one that looks good to you and let the guys at Wenig add weight to it!

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Where do you get the slug of tungsten? I need to add weight to a stock.

Thanks,

DoubleAuto

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

DoubleAuto - If you can't find tungsten, either lead or gold will work as well.

Pat Ireland

15. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Thank you gentlemen. I was going to talk to the Wenig folks but wanted a little info first. I hate to buy something I know very little about. My K-80 stock is heavy now but I still put a mercury recoil reducer in it. I like a butt heavy gun so I guess I will look for a pretty piece of wood first then worry about weight later. Just didn't want to go into this without a clue. Thanks again.

Jimmy

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jimmy- Putting some lead in your butt would be safer than using mercury.

Pat Ireland

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Pat ... I don't think that last statement is a good idea.

My wife keeps telling me to get the lead outta my butt ... and get some work done around the house!

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

TUNGSTEN INFO FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

You can buy 3/8" diameter tungsten slugs at the website link provided above. The beauty of using tungsten is that it is 1.7 times heavier than lead so it is very compact. These dense little slugs can easily be added in a forearm or buttstock without hogging out excessive wood. I drill the wood with a 3/8" forstner bit and these slugs slide right into the hole snug as a bug. As mentioned, a tiny dab of epoxy cement or silicone caulk and the slugs are fixed in place nicely, but you can still get them out later if you wish.

Strategic and thoughtful use of tungsten weights can give your shotgun exactly the balance and swing you prefer, all while reducing felt recoil at the same time.

-Gary

PS: I once added nearly a half pound of tungsten to a friend's stock who had asked me to install a mercury recoil reducer. He LOVED it. A few months later I told him what I had really done. We both got a good laugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.