1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the difference ? Nickel/Nitride

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

What is the difference between a nickeled receiver and one that has been nitrided ? Is there a difference in the wearability or just the appearance ? I see this mostly as an option on Krieghoffs although I can't see a lot of perceptible difference. Not really looking for the chemical formula - just curious.

Thanks in advance

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Nickel plating is just that....plating. It's a material added to the surface of the steel.

Nitriding is a heat-treating process. It is very similar to the case-hardening we see on firearms, except it's done in a very controled enviroment. Instead of getting the rainbow of colors, once the material is removed from the special oven, it is polished...but not too much. Too aggressive polishing, and it's possible to cut through to the softer steel.

Like the nickel plating, they both can serve to protect against the elements...to a certain degree.

Doug

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Plating of any kind can peel. Plus depending on the base metal plating can require 2 layers to get the Nickel to adhere with additional dimensional changes because of the layers. Nitrideing does not change the dimensions of the base and leaves the surface very hard and is not affected by chemicals. The Nitride finish should not wear as fast or get scratched as easily as a Nickel finish.

--- Chip King ---

4. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Krieghoff puts the nickel finnish on their standard grade and the nitride on the upper grades. I have never seen the nickel fade but I am sure with enough wear it would. The nitride replaced the coin which was prone to wear.

5. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Nitride. GaryL.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.