1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what is the diff between type3 and type 4 perazzi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Type 4 is the current production. And this is the designation for forend only, receiver changes were not related to this and it happened years later.

The "somewhat challenged" ser. # cutoff for type 3 is 51242.

Here's the difference between type 3 & type 4, both under lug & forend iron. Type 4 left, type 3 right.

[​IMG]

Another picture of forends.

[​IMG]

2. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I was told because I had an old type 3 that the forend and would would have to be replaced, why? if there are no problems?

Thanks, Scott

PS..Trying to learn this P gun stuff

3. Steve W

The biggest concern, if any, was the forend screws might come loose and cause the back of the wood to crack under recoil.

To add set screws to the forend screws will solve most of the problem.

The type 4 forend has changeable inserts to keep the forend/barrel tight after heavy usage, that's the biggest advantage of type 4 forend design.

Here's the insert:

[​IMG]

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Steve is over half way there.. The type 3 had no provisions for wood shrinkage.. hence.. many older MX type 3 guns have a gap between the metal and the end of the forend.. The type 4.. with the floating lock.. and the allenhead screws..ALWAYS keeps the metal tight to the wood.. resulting in far fewer broken forends.. The screw in a type 3 acts as a splitting wedge once the wood shrinks.. IF the wood shrinks.. Lockscrew or not.. those 2 small screws is all that prevents the wood from comming back and meeting the iron.. Dan at Giacomo.. can convert a cat3 lug to a cat4.. and you can have the best of both worlds.. BUT you'll also need a complete cat4 forend and wood assembly.. All in.. that's a $1000 job.. give or take a little.. unless you get a cat4 forend and wood for cheap..

Many cat3 Perazzi's also sport the older style cat3 receiver..(top lever release pin at 12 o'clock).. The later model with the release pin at 9 o'clock,looking from the front are the latest design.. Along with that is a beefier top lever post.. less prone to breakage..

The Perazzi today is an evolution of design improvements.. all of which I understand and agree with.. Just wish the new frames were as HARD as the older ones.. They seem to last forever..

5. Steve W

Mike has filled the other half of the story. :)

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

thanks Steve.. I've never broken a cat3 forend.. but a few of mine were a bit ugly.. IF you keep the shrinkage crack non-existant.. and your screws tight.. they live forever.. BUT.. many shooters have a problem just keeping the receiver clean.. woodwork would be out of the question..

7. Steve W

Mike, we always consider a $1,000 difference between comparable type 3 & type 4 guns, your statement of conversion cost make sense.

8. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Can somebody post a couple of pictures showing the differences in the type 3 and type 4 lugs?

Thank you,

Bruce

9. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

I'm wondering about the lugs on the barrels. I thought they were a different shape.

Bruce

10. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

AHHHHH.......I see them now.

Thanks,

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.