1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT IS THE COMMON THREAD AMONG CHAMPIONS?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    what is the common thread among champion shooters? is it their strong desire to shoot well? did they all start shooting at a very young age? do they have exceptional eye sight? is it great hand, eye coordination? i have met and talked to a few great shooters over the years. Vic Reinders told me, that he wasn't the greatest athlete, but he felt that many shooters miss targets from the neck up. Is it their ability to stay calm or under control? I asked vic if he ever got nervous during a shoot off, his reply was all the time. i said what was your secret? he said if he felt he was getting nervous, he sometimes what not look at the other shooters targets, or he would just look down on the ground and say the word no, no, no, until it was his turn to shoot. i played a lot baseball, i thought i had good hand/eye coordination, but i found trapshooting to be difficult. yes, i have shoot 100 staright in competition, but that was a fluke. so to all you AA27 yard shooters, WHAT IS THE COMMON THREAD THAT YOU ALL SHARE?
    STEVE BALISTRERI

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Shots fired. Lots of 'em. That's it.

3. calilori

calilori TS Member

They shoot good?

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I feel those guys shoot 1 target events while the rest of us are counting? Hap

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

1 straight

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Well,I'll tell you the true secrets........First, you got to be handsome[like me].If you're not, then you will never make it.The girlies like handsome champs. And you have to expect to be on TV selling something[you got to be handsome for that to]. Then, you got to be a winner[winners expect to win.....losers expect to lose]. Then, you got to be shrewd[just before you shoot, you tell your competition that somethings wrong with their guns]. And finally, you got to have a trained gun........that's right....TRAINED. Hope this helps!

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They expect to win.

John C. Saubak

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Now Lori, that's no kinda English for a teacher. How'd your snake turn out?...Bob Dodd

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Steve, since you played a lot of baseball and have good eye hand co-ordination, the fundamentals are the same you aquire the ball/target visually and focus on it hard until after the ball/target is hit.You have total control over your stance, foot position, gun hold and posture, CORRECTLY use them to your advantage, when the above are done correctly the result is a smoked target! Then the next target out is dispatched the same, one at a time, each and every target has to be given your total sum of the above, the 100 straights will come much more frequently! take the time to ask a local AA27 yd. shooter to give you tips, they will be happy to help, or take a clinic from an all-american and follow their advice, try to do the same thing every time, the above fundamentals and visually targeting every clay! incinerate em!

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

They seem to hit more targets.........lol

Hauxfan!

11. alf174

alf174 Member

100% confidence in every shot that they will smoke it, one at a time.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have talked with many of the top shooters over many years. Physically, most of them have short necks that makes proper gun fit fairly easy. Most important, they have a desire to win that predominates their thinking 365 days a year. They work hard on shooting trap every day. Most of this work is in their minds and not on the range. They also have a level of concentration as they mount their gun that most of us can not understand. There is a very big price to pay if one wants to become a top shooter. Most of us, including me, are not willing to pay that price.

Pat Ireland

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

To what Pat said I'll add good eyesight. Most have better than 20/20, naturally, or corrected.

14. dexterkid

dexterkid TS Member

When watching them shoot I have noticed only one thing they have in common. It's not their feet position, it's not their stance, it's not their gun position. It's their speed. They shoot fast.

Can I be that good if I shot that fast? Hell no.

Jack

15. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Hmm, is shooting fast the secret? NO! That's confusing cause and effect.

The best shooters are smooth and precise. They don't anticipate. With constant practice timing improves and confidence builds. Speed comes as a result. JMHO, as I'm not one of that select group.

For the average duffer, deliberately trying to shoot fast can be a recipe for developing a flinch.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ability-you either have it or you don't. I know one guy who shoots 500 Handicap targets minimum every week-he still stinks.

Frank Little didn't have good eyesight and he always fooled me!!

17. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Desire, talent, time, and lots of money. In that order.

18. SportsPhotographer

SportsPhotographer TS Member

If the question is "how do I become a champion" then the answer is to learn everything about your sport, learn everything about your gun, and make time to practice as often as you need to in order to consistently achieve the top score.

If the question is "what is the common thread among champions" then the answer is simple; consistently finish at the very top of the pack.

The answer to the first question is directly related to the answer to the second question... nothing else matters.

19. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I believe the technical / physical part of learning to hit targets is the easiest part of trapshooting to learn. I'm sure there are many many people who are capable of hitting any particular target presentation from any station.

I think the difference between the champions and everyone else is their ability to remain focused and "in the present" while shooting, without allowing the pressure of competition to negatively effect their concentration.

Their mental abilities are superior.

IMHO

hubcap

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

While all the above may have some merit, the one common thread they all share is shooting CONTINUALLY in a competitive enviroment. Each time they shoot, it's at a competitive shoot, not practice. Think about your own shooting. Most of us raise our scores a notch when shooting a registered shoot. Not a lot, but a target or two. We concentrate much harder on the target, and pay more attention to it. Our desire is to shoot a better score than we normally do. Think about how much better you would shoot if you had to do this every weekend The champions live, and dwell, in this enviroment, and shoot almost exclusively under very competitive conditions. Their midset is ALWAYS on shooting good. They expect to post good scores. They are conditioned to the higher intensity surrounding competitive shooting, and the higher level it takes them to. Everything they do is done under the constant pressure of putting up a good score, and they have learned how to handle it better than most of us ever will. Yes, they are great shots, but they have mastered the mental aspects of competitive shooting, and that's what makes them champions.....Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.