1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the common choke for the 16 yard line?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by branwheat007, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. branwheat007

branwheat007 TS Member

I shoot a lot of recreational trap (where I stand next to the thrower and yell "pull"). Would like to try some practice rounds at a ATA shoot and need some advice on the proper choke to use at the 16 yard line. Thanks in advance. Brandon

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Mod or IM. DAve T.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Even after 100 years of trapshooting you will not be able to get a strait answer to that question. Most shooters that start shooting trap will wait a bit longer to shoot than shooters that shoot the sport on a weekly basis.Even with that said a modified choke will work well for you. You will get alot of different responces rangeing from mod. to full with alot of different reasons behind there responces. If you start out with a full choke you will find the proper leads needed for the different shots faster, thats the upside, the downside is you will miss more targets. Its easy to get discouraged this way and stop shooting trap altogether. You will have to find YOUR happy median. Good Luck and have fun. Oh, Yeh don't forget to break-em all. Jeff

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

from 16 yards, it really does not matter. Unless you practice a bit, chokes in the range of 30 to 35 thousands will make the task of target breaking a bit more difficult. If you shoot slow, open chokes (15 thousands or less) will not help either.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

M;IM;LF or F. doesn't make any difference. Go have a good time. There isn't a choke that will make you a good shooter. Good fundamentals and practice will. If someone says "choke for smoke" because a full choke will make you learn to center the target, ask them why then you shouldn't use a .22 rifle to learn. It's fun to watch them squirm.

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I personally use an extra full, cause I love seeing the bird turn to a smoke ball. But I think anything from modified to full would work just fine. (and x-full for those days you just want to have fun) Josh

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Sportshot, somewhere close to .015.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

The size of a pattern shot from a full choke will be about the same size as a pattern shot from a modified choke. An open choke does not significantly increase the effective pattern size, it simply moves shot from the inner core to the outer edges.

For me, the best choke to use at the 16 yard line is the one that does the best job from the 27 yard line.

Many shooters spend much time thinking about the best load and choke and little time about seeing the target well and keeping into the gun. The choke/load could make a difference of around 1 bird for every 300 targets. Seeing the bird and keeping into the gun can easily make a 20 bird difference for every 100 targets.

Several years ago at the Grand in Vandalia, I was picking up my shells with Leo H. I requested 4 boxes of Winchester, 1 1/8 oz #8. When Leo was asked what shell he wanted, he said I don't care, just give me 4 boxes of something. I do not remember if I beat Leo that day, but I do have a pretty good guess.

Pat Ireland

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

The answer is use the choke that you like it might be anything from mod-xfull dont let someone put it in your head that you have to have a certain choke in your gun.I personaly shoot a briley lf in my citori but sometimes shoot the full its just what I prefer.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

What Pat said. Good post.

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

The more you think about choke the less targets you will brake. As for me it's FULL, .032 to .042....

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

modified to full

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The size of a pattern shot from a full choke will be about the same size as a pattern shot from a modified choke. An open choke does not significantly increase the effective pattern size, it simply moves shot from the inner core to the outer edges.

For me, the best choke to use at the 16 yard line is the one that does the best job from the 27 yard line.

Many shooters spend much time thinking about the best load and choke and little time about seeing the target well and keeping into the gun. The choke/load could make a difference of around 1 bird for every 300 targets. Seeing the bird and keeping into the gun can easily make a 20 bird difference for every 100 targets.

Several years ago at the Grand in Vandalia, I was picking up my shells with Leo H. I requested 4 boxes of Winchester, 1 1/8 oz #8. When Leo was asked what shell he wanted, he said I don't care, just give me 4 boxes of something. I do not remember if I beat Leo that day, but I do have a pretty good guess.

Pat Ireland

14. SR1

SR1 TS Member

The answer is use the choke that you like it might be anything from mod-xfull dont let someone put it in your head that you have to have a certain choke in your gun.I personaly shoot a briley lf in my citori but sometimes shoot the full its just what I prefer.

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

What Pat said. Good post.

16. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

The more you think about choke the less targets you will brake. As for me it's FULL, .032 to .042....

17. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

modified to full

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I disagree with a lot of what has been said above. I started shooting trap with a barrel that threw 83% patterns at 40 yards. By anyone's definition, that is FULL. I can still remember the frustration that caused until I got better at it. If you don't at least chip the target, you have no idea where the shot went. And if you think you can rely on an the average observer to tell you where you missed, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Brandon, you didn't say what gun you use, but it doesn't really matter. The designation placed on most choke tubes is a figment of someone's imagination. Fortunately, you can easily decide which of your tubes is best yourself.

Buy a roll of red rosin paper at your local Home Depot or Lowes. It's 35" wide. Then buy a box of premium ammo such as Remington STS in the shot size and weight you plan to use. Head for a range with a patterning board. Put you rosin paper on the board and place a small aiming mark in the center of the target. Then set up 34 yards from the target. That is the average distance a singles target is broken at.

Fire at the aiming mark. Then determine the center of your pattern by measuring the densest portion of the pattern, mark the center, and draw a 30" circle around the center. Then count the pellet holes inside the circle. You are looking for a choke that places about 75% to 85% of the pellets in the circle. Remington STS ammo is pretty good about actual shot size and weight (they are usually a little over in weight) so you can use published figures for shot count. Say you used 7 1/2 shot. There are about 350 of them in a 1 oz load, and 394 in an 1 1/8 oz load.

After you find a choke in the ball park, shoot four more patterns with it to confirm. Then you will know for certain you have the best choke for singles, regardless of what is printed on it.

There is an alternate, less precise way, but it doesn't have anything to do with Modified, or Full, etc. Go to a gun smith and have your barrels and choke tubes measured. A good choke tube with a .020" constriction is quite usable for singles. That is what a Modified choke is "supposed" to be. However, my Beretta Modified choke only measured .011". A friend's Browning Modified choke is even less. So you simply cannot go by what is marked on the tube. You have to pattern (best) or measure (OK). A good .025" constriction is also good for singles and short yardage handicap.

19. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Try practicing with a full choke (so that you learn exactly where the gun is shooting) and switch to light mod or mod for competition,(for 16 yd targets.) Shoot 8's, 8.5 or 9's from 16.

Works for some folks.

Phil

20. boneman

boneman TS Member

full choke for everything, all else is just spraying and praying. Thanks Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

16 yard line trap choke tube

best choke to use at the 16 yd line

good choke for 16 yard trap