1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best way

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goose2, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have noticed most people do it differently. I have a k 80 and when I close it I hold the lever over then close the gun and then let the lever go and then there are people who just shut the gun without holding the lever. Which way is the best and which way will ware things at a faster rate?
    Thanks in advance

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This was argued here not too long ago. I think the general rule was to close the gun by holding the lever over. I know the absolute no-no was slamming it closed. This thread should grow wings and take off though. LOL

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I think I was the one who posted that thread a few months ago and when it was all said and done, about half who replied to my posting said they closed their guns firmly without holding the lever over and about half wrote that they closed the action while holding the lever and then releasing it after the action was shut. While at the Grand, I asked a gentleman who was working for Giacomo's about this. He (and Dan) advised: Do NOT slam or "firmly" close the action....hold the lever while closing the action and then release it after it is closed. Good enough for me. Search for "Closing a Break-Open Shotgun" posted by OldGoat in May 2011. Best Regards, Ed

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Read your owner's manual. Most gunmakers do not encourage holding the lever, or slamming the gun shut. Your gun has no brain! Please use yours.

5. OldGoat

Shooting Coach, you're 100% right...probably should NOT have posed the question to "experts" on this forum. "When all else fails, read the instructions." Thanks for the reminder. Regards, Ed

6. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Instructions that came with my Citori were very firm about closing the action *without* holding the lever over.

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I heard this same story when I first bought my Ljutic in 2001. When I called Nadine to get the info on my Ljutic, I asked this same question. She said, "Tom, close the damn gun!" She certainly did not advise holding the button back! Tom Rhoads

8. OldGoat

Luckily, we live in America where we can decide for ourselves...7.5s or 8s?...at least for now.. Everyone has a right to his/her own erroneous opinion. Regards, Ed

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

There could be issues if the lever is held over instead of letting the gun close normally. By holding the lever over it might not close tight which could cause the gun to come open prematurely when fired. I've only seen this happen once and no one was hurt. But the gun broke down and the shells ejected right into the guys face, gave him a little bruise right on the nose. I have to say the same guy now slams his gun shut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.