1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best Trap machine for single & doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cncconsl, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cncconsl

cncconsl TS Member

We are looking for the best new Trap machine to replace our old Winchester machine. We alrady have a about 8yr. old GMV Superstar in our other Traphouse. A while back I read through a thread that seemed to mostly favor Pat-Trap machines vs GMV and a couple of other brands. One older fellow at our club insists we should get another GMV, however while the GMV was the popular choice for local clubs 8-10 years ago, it's seems the most favored machine today is now Pat-Trap, based on the thread? They also claim on their web-site to throw the majority of registered birds in the country. By the way we are located in upstate NY so real cold weather can be a factor.
    I would like to get as many comments as possible in the next few days to present to our member's meeting next Mon.
    Thanks for your help; John Connolly

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how mechanically inclined your club members are.

The Pat Trap is 'simple' in many respects and for the most part the 'normal' maintenance items are easy.

The GMV's are well engineered - perhaps even over built. Service is straight forward, but there is a learning curve.

IMHO the GMV is the better machine - easier to adjust and convert from singles to doubles and back. I've worked on both machines and with good understanding of how things work both will throw nice targets - I still think the GMV is capable of throwing better ones (not all will agree with this statement - I think the issue is the adjustment process - it takes longer to learn how to adjust the GMV as compared to the Pat's - however once understood, the GMV should throw better targets)

Cold temperature can be an issue for the hydraulic pumps in the Pat Traps - food for thought for up-state NY.

The BIG issue for me is if something major goes wrong - here the GMV has it over the Pat Trap. The GMV's are more or less modular so parts change in and out quickly, so 'down time' is kept to a minimum. A chat with the provider/service company will quickly tell you which spare parts to keep on hand.

Further, you already have one GMV so a 'spare parts' kit should cover both machines.

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

We went from a Beomat to a Pat. What a difference. Ease of use and adjusting. It throws a damn good, level target. No breakage. We bought the full monti, doubles with wobble. The wobble option was a waste of money but we have it. Pat-trap for me. Dave T.

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

There are many clubs in the Rochester area of Upstate NY that use Pat Traps. as for cold weather (below freezing), turn the pump on a half hour or so before you plan on using it or use a small ceramic heater in the trap house. Last year at a league shoot, I,we kept track of broken targets with the Pat trap. Less than 12 broken targets over 2 days of shooting (helps to pay a little towards the cost of the trap). As for changing from singles to doubles and back to singles it's so simple a Cave Man can do it. Another PLUS, the Pat Trap is made in the USA. Larry Evans

5. beyyupot

beyyupot Member

oldgahchamp is right, the easiest and Made in the USA by an american family.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with HSLDS above.... Our club has 4 GMV single/doubles machines and they are awsome traps. Very easy to maintain, easy to change from singles to doubles, and back again. Utilizes the same field of adjustment as the Winchesters did, and are very easy to set targets with. We bought our first one about 6 years ago and have had ZERO trouble with it, nor with any of the rest of them. I'm not sure how many targets have been thrown off that trap, but, we throw 5 registered shoots per year, in addition to all the other events we have. Throw in practice targets, and you have a "LOT" of targets. We have a minimal parts inventory, and all the parts are interchangeable. Makes it pretty easy to maintain everything... For us, it was GMV over the Pat and we have NEVER been sorry for that decision.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

We went from a Beomat singles only to a Promatic for singles and doubles. The Promatic has been a POS so far. From the start it breaks a lot of birds, throws for no reason and throws erratic targets often. Promatic sent someone to work on it and it seemed ok for a couple of weeks but quickly started screwing up again. Promatic is supposed to be sending someone again. I will let you know if it gets better or give you a chance to use it if it does not get better.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Choose the machine that throws the most stable targets during slight winds. That will be the one with a higher RPM on the clay and will break easier when struck by a few pellets. Hap

9. Mark V

Mark V Member

What about the long term availability of parts? I thing it's safe to say parts for the Pat Trap will always be available in this country, while the GMV is manufactured, if I'm not mistaken, in Sweden. I was told the GMV has about 15% market share in the US by a QRP sales person.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you're only going to buy one machine then keep them the same. If you are or plan to change out both machines very soon then buy two Pats.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

GMV Superstar unless you like warming up hydraulic fluid in the cold weather. HMB

12. spritc

spritc Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.