1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best smart phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rick (Pa), Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

My wife wants a smart phone for christmas and we know nothing about them. Any help would be great.

Rick

2. SBray

SBray Active Member

IPhone is pretty user friendly. There are various other types that work well and have a good following.

Steve

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

What a can of worms you have opened my friend!

Do you have any Apple products? If you have a tablet, or an Ipod, etc., the interface is extremely smooth. If that doesn't apply, or say you only have an Ipod, then there isn't necessarily a reason to jump on the apple bandwagon.

I have two I-phones in this house, a work Mac Book, and apple tablet at work, and four Ipods in the house.

I am not a big apple fan. However the phones have great features and the customer service is excellent.

If you rule out an iPhone then you are left with androids. I am absolutely disappointed with our Motorola Droid X phones. They worked great for about 1 year... yal this second year has been plagued with problems for example, mine won't charge unless it is in AIRPLANE mode. It will not charge turned off or turned on. The wife has had other issues and she recently bought an Iphone after her Motorola finally just died. A child of ours has had an iPhone for a year now without incident, although we didn't have problems with our droid X until after a year...

So you need to figure out what you want to get out of the phone. I really like CNET and PCMAG reviews. See link. You can sort the results by rating, or date, manufacturer, etc... good luck. There are a ton of choices out there!

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

First decide whether you prefer prefer the android, IOS, or Windows 8 operating system, then worry about the phone. All the operating systems have advantages and disadvantates. I prefer android over IOS and have had both. Have no experience with Windows 8.

IOS is the most popular operating system in the US and Android is the most popular worldwide. Windows is way behind everywhere. Both IOS and Android have plenty of applications but Windows is somewhat limited, although getting better.

My preference is for Samsung phones, which have been my last three. Other people prefer other brands and there are lots of people who wouldn't own anything but an Iphone. Truth is that all the smartphones are pretty good and new ones come out nearly every day, except for the Iphone.

5. psfive

psfive Member

I have both an iPhone and an android. The iPhone is my personal phone and the android is my work phone. Of the two the iPhone is the easiest to use far and away. I can see no advantage to the android phone. The android by almost any manufacture is larger than the iPhone. The new iPhone 5 has a larger screen than the 4 had. But regardless of the phone choice the screen is small. In my opinion iPhone is a better choice. Just my 2 cents worth. Paul in GINebraska.

6. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

This is a hot topic these days. People are extremely opinionated on their phones. Perhaps I can point out a couple things that may help. We are really talking about the difference between iPhone and an android operated phone, any other isn't even worth considering at this point. The android market is very fast moving with the latest greatest phone coming out almost on a weekly basis. There are many manufacturers of droid phones, each in heavy competition. Each droid phone has different features so what you have is the android operating system being adapted to work on different phones. Since the market moves so fast many times a new droid phone will be obsolete quickly and are often abandoned by the company responsible for operating system updates as they focus on the new phones. This is fine so long as you are always keeping up and buying the new phones. The competition drives the market and android phones are very modifiable and are more of a free market structure. The biggest complaint I've heard is the lack of software support and many phone owners aren't receiving updates after a year or so. The big plus here is the phones are very customizable.

Apple on the other hand makes its own hardware and writes its own software for these phones specifically so there is no manufacturer in between the software company modifying the OS to work on their phone. Apple does a great job of supporting their devices. They normally update devices up to around five years after their release. All the devices are updated at the same time and run the same software so even if your phone is three years old you will still have the most recent software where droid phones receive updates on the schedule of the specific phone manufacturer. Apple products all operate almost the same so if she bought an iPhone and learned to run it which is very simple then if she bought an iPad she would already know how to run it. The interface is very elegant and uniform as apple requires the apps offered in the App Store to have an "apple feel" to them. iPhones are also a little more resistant to viruses due to the nature of the Mac type operating system. The resale of apple devices is also very good as there is a strong secondary market. I sold my iPhone 4 for $30 less than i paid for it two years ago and i could have gotten more but sold it to a friend. There is a huge accessory market as well due to the popularity of them. The drawbacks to iPhone is they are very locked down by apple and controlled so modifying them is more difficult but in my opinion they are much simpler. In short, droid is fast moving and crazy but fun and apple is more of a slow and steady conservative type approach. I prefer apple because I don't like the fast pace of the other and I love the obvious quality to them. When you pick up one you will note how solid it feels. Either phone will do basically the same thing but with different approaches. Hope this helps.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The one that's turned off! LOL. Should have figured that you guys where techies, and in tech. sales.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a samsung infuse. It has a very large touch screen and I love it with one exception. I am hard of hearing and the volume is not very good

9. 548

548 Guest

If you have other apple products, get the iPhone. They all integrate and it is a great experience.

If not, get the best 4G android at the best promotional price. Shouldn't cost over $50 when signing a 2 year contract.

If you don't have an iPad, get one, and an iPhone. You will never do anything wrong again in your wife's eyes.

10. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Rick, I have the LG spectrum. It is a dual core processor, with I believe 1.9 processor speed. When I first got it, it was beyond my comprehension how it worked. I took it back to the verizon store several times and demanded they take it back, once they actually replaced the one I had. The reason I got this one is that the screen is larger than just about all of the other ones, and I am about 2 steps from bifocals. The larger screen helps in that regard. If you spend any time doing work on a smart phone or iphone your eyes will need time to adjust when you set it down. The iphone 4 was free a few months ago, maybe that was for people like my wife who was replacing her phone at that time.
    Whatever you do, dont expect to master it overnight. Verizon has classes on how to use these phones, if you have time go to one. They will frustrate the he** out of you until you figure it out. Once you get used to it however, you will enjoy it. Have a Merry Christmas!

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Thanks for the inspiring post STooL. No doubt Rick found it very helpful- LOL.

Excellent unbiased rundown of the 2 main operating systems Jason.

12. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Not an expert. I have an iphone and love it.

13. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Samsung Galaxy 111

It is outselling iPhone5

Large screen and easy to use

Easy to read and very fast

14. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Thanks John, I try to stick with the facts as when answering this question people tend to push their own personal preferences. Both are excellent, I wouldn't be opposed to owning a droid, but my preference is iPhone. I also own the iPad 4 and absolutely love it. Works way better than any computer. Is much simpler and has much fewer problems.

15. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

I want to thank everyone for their great input it was much appreciated. The wife picked a motorola Droid RAZR M

Thanks again Rick

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Funny thing, Jason, all 4 of us in my family had Iphones and each of us eventually switched to android- all Samsung Galaxys. I have a S3, wife a S2, one daughter a S2 Skyrocket and the other daughter a S3. My Iphone was a 3GS which I liked except that it constantly dropped calls. Both daughters had 4s but they both eventually stopped working. Maybe some will return to the Iphone but I won't after getting hooked on android.

I haven't been able to understand the allure of the tablets yet. They seem like expensive, overgrown phones to me. Without a hard drive or even a USB port for a thumbdrive, they wouldn't replace a computer to my way of thinking. The biggest disadvantage for me is that they won't run Quicken, which is an absolute requirement for me. I also need a computer to run Income tax software and MS Office, which they won't do either, I don't think. Jason, am I wrong about tablets or can they do more than I think or are they mostly toys (not that there's anything wrong with toys).

17. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I have an iPhone4 and love it.

Chuck

18. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Make sure you buy anti-virus/spyware if you purchase an android. iPhone's in most cases are less likely to get corrupt. No matter which phone you go with keep the box and accessories. You will get more on resale or trade in. Kim

19. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

John, I use quicken as well and still use a desktop for that. Quicken 2013 has iPhone and iPad apps that sync to the desktop program via a cloud service. I haven't gotten it yet as the reviews say it has a lot of bugs but once they get it straightened out I will try it for sure. My iPad is used for almost everything else. I felt the same way as you about tablets until I got one, now I can't imagine what I did without one. I am not a serious Internet surfer and tend to surf for brief periods of time on a frequent basis. The iPad is ideal for this. I can literally pick it up and be on a website in seconds as opposed to booting up my desktop or laptop. I use it to run sound at our church (our sound board has an app for remote control) so I have complete control anywhere in the building which is nice so I can move about the room and hear more than being in the booth which was the reason I originally bought it to begin with. Shortly after purchasing it, my wife fell in love with it so I bought her one too so I could actually use mine. With thousands of apps available it does almost everything. My wife even has a grocery list app that syncs over the Internet to our phones so we can add items to the list anywhere and anytime we think of something we need to pick up. She takes her iPad with her shopping and checks items off as she shops. Obviously it works awesome with the social websites and games (I like to play chess on it) and I use it here too. It sits comfortably in my lap, weighs almost nothing, and produces no heat and no moving parts. I even have an app to operate my DVR and can stream video from the Internet from services like Netflix or YouTube. I still use a desktop for heavy video editing and quicken but use this 95% of the time. When i take pictures with my iPhone they are automatically uploaded to iCloud when i connect to wifi and appear in my photo stream that is available on my iPad and the iCloud plug in for Windows on my desktop, so there is no need to connect my phone to the computer and move pictures around. They are already available on all my devices. It also includes facetime, allowing you to make video calls to other apple devices such as iPhones, iPods, iPads and Mac users over the internet. I can print and scan wirelessly with our printer as well. If you ever use one, you will quickly fall in love with it. I would highly recommend an iPad if you are interested in a tablet, they are the gold standard in the market.

20. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Rick, please keep us informed on how she likes it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.